Your FIRST processor?

On 6/29/2019 at 4:57 AM, Uttamattamakin said:

t if carefully reassembled this thing would boot with no issues

You should try and reassemble it ??

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

19 hours ago, nick name said:

The first PC I built had one of the first 1GHz Intel processors.  I can't remember which one exactly though.  

I remember when 1GHz was the frontier...  I think the first consumer processor, to ever hit that mark, was an OC'd LN2 cooled AMD Athlon around the late 90's  98 99 ish then in 2000 first normal 1 GHz processors came out.  It was all about the GHz in those days.   Now... it's all about the cores. 

10 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Intel i386 here @25MHz

Aww man.  There was a time I would've killed to get a 386 SX.  Specifically the last in the line of Tandy 1000 series computers was a 386 that could (barely) run windows and use a first generation CD rom drive.... had SVGA.  (when I had 640x480 8 colors). 

I don't care what anyone says.  Compare to the quantum leaps of the past PC tech is relatively stable and mature. 

First laptop I can remember the specs from was a i5 2400u with a gtx 420mx but I had a desktop with windows 99 lol so god knows what that had in it 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I remember when 1GHz was the frontier...  I think the first consumer processor, to ever hit that mark, was an OC'd LN2 cooled AMD Athlon around the late 90's  98 99 ish then in 2000 first normal 1 GHz processors came out.  It was all about the GHz in those days.   Now... it's all about the cores. 

Aww man.  There was a time I would've killed to get a 386 SX.  Specifically the last in the line of Tandy 1000 series computers was a 386 that could (barely) run windows and use a first generation CD rom drive.... had SVGA.  (when I had 640x480 8 colors). 

I don't care what anyone says.  Compare to the quantum leaps of the past PC tech is relatively stable and mature. 

I wasn't sure if it was the Pentium III so thanks for doing the research for me.  It was in late 2000 or early 2001 when I built the machine.  I remember ordering all the parts in my dorm (same dorm Michael Dell supposedly got kicked out of for receiving PC parts that would fill up the office) and my roommate and my other friend wanted me to wait for them to build it.  I didn't.  Got it to POST first try.  Good times.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

First laptop I can remember the specs from was a i5 2400u with a gtx 420mx but I had a desktop with windows 99 lol so god knows what that had in it 

Uhm  98?  ME?   That was 20 years ago so ...  I don't blame you for the misremembrance. 

1 hour ago, nick name said:

I wasn't sure if it was the Pentium III so thanks for doing the research for me.  It was in late 2000 or early 2001 when I built the machine.  I remember ordering all the parts in my dorm (same dorm Michael Dell supposedly got kicked out of for receiving PC parts that would fill up the office) and my roommate and my other friend wanted me to wait for them to build it.  I didn't.  Got it to POST first try.  Good times.  

Yeah.  Looking at the way LTT and others build PC's now I am not sure I'd know what to do.   It's so much easier to just buy a basically disposable laptop.   i.e. by the time software that can really use RTX is common it'll be in mobile, inexpensive, and decent. 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Uhm  98?  ME?   That was 20 years ago so ...  don't blame the misremembrance. 

Yeah.  Looking at the way LTT and others build PC's now I am not sure I'd know what to do.   It's so much easier to just buy a basically disposable laptop.   i.e. by the time software that can really use RTX is common it'll be in mobile, inexpensive, and decent. 

In college we could get any Microsoft disc for $5 so I actually played with all the operating systems.  Including ME.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

In college we could get any Microsoft disc for $5 so I actually played with all the operating systems.  Including ME.  

I was reacting to "Windows 99" above that.   

First I used was some older AMD chip (cannot remember what the hell it would have been, but it was Y2K). First I ever had for just myself was a Celeron 533 out of an eMachines 533is

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It was a 486. I don’t know which model. After that we had a Pentium 33mhz running windows 95. 

The first CPU in a computer that was mine and not my families was an AMD Duron 1700+.  I didn’t know a lot at the time about hardware but this was my gateway into computer hardware. I slowly upgraded what I could. Made some bad mistakes and leaned (like “upgrading” from an ATI 9200 128mb to an NVIDIA 5200 256mb because more memory means faster card right?). 

First cpu in a build that I did completely by myself was an AMD Athlon 64 2800+.

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 inside of HP Pavilion DV9580eg laptop. It was a gift from my parents on my 11th (I think) birthday.

First real CPU that I bought myself was AMD Athlon II x4 640 back in early 2011 for my very first gaming PC.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

My first and only build includes the FX 9590. Still going after 2 years without any issues at all. That's despite the doomsday warnings I was given far too many times beforehand. They said my house would be on fire, they said I'd need watercooling, they said it would freeze and have loads of problems, they said it would keep me warm in the winter. It just so happens that it was all nonsense in the end.

NH-D15 tames the beast with ease. No hiccups, just a perfect experience. FX ALL THE WAY!!! SCREW THE HATERS!!

Some type of Celeron D which is still packed away somewhere.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

2 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Uhm  98?  ME?   That was 20 years ago so ...  I don't blame you for the misremembrance. 

Yeah I was 5 lol 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Mine is the A4-3420 for the FM1 socket, horrible horrible CPU. The CPUZ score is around 140? 240? To put it into perspective, a FX 6300 is about 500 on a CPUZ test and my new R5 1600 is 3500. I would end my life by torture before I would go back and use the FM1 socket ever again.

Can’t reply to my last post as it’s been locked. But for your response to you hate reading my post...... (ᴗ ͜ʖ ᴗ) you don’t have to read them ( ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ)

I still have nightmares of the Pentium M ?

Pentium M (mum's old Acer laptop from about 2002/2003)

Intel Atom something (dad's company netbook)

Pentium M again (dad's company laptop)

i5-4200M (my Lenovo Z510 laptop, still have it)

i5-4460 (first PC build, sold)

Ryzen 2200G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

18 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

First I used was some older AMD chip (cannot remember what the hell it would have been, but it was Y2K). First I ever had for just myself was a Celeron 533 out of an eMachines 533is

Around 2000.... AMD chips were rather competitive with Intel. Really what held them back was supply.  Which lead them to sink money into building Fabs which almost made AMD bankrupt.   Ah yes.. Celeron there's a name that will hopefully stay gone. 

486 DX2 66 crew reporting in

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

#1 i7 6500U with R5 M330 laptop (died less then a year after I got it then I built my first pc)

#2 I5 7500 (now in my younger brothers desktop, who was stuck with a Pentium N3700 Laptop)

#3 Ryzen 7 2700x (current)

Before my first PC I only had an iPad and a Wii. Can't say I ever regret working my ass off to pay for the parts to build these computers ?

Main System: Ryzen 7 5800x | Asus Strix B550A | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL14 | GTX 1080 | Fedora 36

Server: Ryzen 7 2700x | Asus Strix B450-F | 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz | GTX 1060 6GB | Unraid 6.10.3

Laptop: Intel i5 4200u | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | GT 740m | Windows 10

Mobile: iPhone 13 Mini | 128GB // Poco X3 NFC | 128GB

Well I had a Commodore 64 but I never really classed that as a real PC.

I guess my First real PC had an Intel 486 DX/2 66mhz in it..

Well, like i said, the first computer I actually owned had a K6-2 333 Mhz that I overclocked right away to 350 mhz (changed FSB from 66 Mhz to 100 mhz)

But, at school, I was lucky to actually work on IBM 8086 computers with those ancient CGA/EGA screens with green phosphorus. Also had some 386 PCs at school.

In highschool, the school received a bunch of Compaq 486 66 Mhz machines and learned programming (Pascal) on them.

When I went to university my parents were reluctant to let me carry the PC to college campus because they were relatively poor and buying a computer was a big investment for them, so a friend gifted me an old HP Vectra with a 486 66 Mhz cpu and 32 MB of memory. It was good enough for browsing the internets, listing to some music.

Started working as a freelancer during college and by the end of first year of college, I saved enough money to buy a Duron 1100 Mhz with a cheap Asrock board (they just started as an offshoot from Asus making weird boards back then, they were quite different compared to how they are now) which was actually quite stable.

Later, i upgraded to a nice Barton cpu and then moved on to Intel D805 (because it was cheaper, running at 533 mhz, but still overclocked quite well) and then moved on to Q6600 and now I'm back on AMD with FX 8320 and the next upgrade will be a 3rd gen Ryzen.

My very very first own computer was an Amiga 500 - I even got a bonus floppy disk drive a few years later!

My very first PC was a Pentium 100. Such speed!

Can't track them after that... I believe I had another Pentium 1xx and switched to Core 2 duo later.

I can barely remember what I did yesterday or the name of any of my friend in highschool so it's a small miracle I'd even remember I had a pentium100 in the first place ... :D