Louis Rossmann about Apple's stance on user privacy

caincha
54 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

sheep who blindly follows them and instead of admitting their design flaws claims that one is holding the device wrong.

That's basically every fanboy I've met..

I wonder what they gain from defending faceless companies.

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

I wonder what they gain from defending faceless companies.

to convince themselves they made the right choice vs the competition, it's to avoid buyers remorse. It's the primary reason that "fanboys" exist.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 minutes ago, Arika S said:

to convince themselves they made the right choice vs the competition, it's to avoid buyers remorse. It's the primary reason that "fanboys" exist.

That's honestly really sad.. how can one be so insecure..

7 hours ago, wasab said:

I found iPhones crappy because iOS is crappy. No amount of slick design and superior hardware is gonna make up for the actrocious closed walled operating system. 

And what's so "atrocious" about it? Everyone's screaming this, mostly Android users who never actually lived with an iPhone for extended period of time. Only thing that particularly annoys me is lack of proper file manager which makes shuffling of files around a bit clumsy, lack of regular BT communications with other phones (which is allegedly because of insecure nature of BT) and inability to set some other browser as default (I came to a point I don't even mind all alternate browsers are just Safari shells). And that's literally only thing I hate about it. I got used to most other things and they are minor things that one would get annoyed on a level of using MIUI instead of stock Android. Not a show stopping stuff.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

And what's so "atrocious" about it? Everyone's screaming this, mostly Android users who never actually lived with an iPhone for extended period of time. Only thing that particularly annoys me is lack of proper file manager which makes shuffling of files around a bit clumsy, lack of regular BT communications with other phones (which is allegedly because of insecure nature of BT) and inability to set some other browser as default (I came to a point I don't even mind all alternate browsers are just Safari shells). And that's literally only thing I hate about it. I got used to most other things and they are minor things that one would get annoyed on a level of using MIUI instead of stock Android. Not a show stopping stuff.

You shouldve seen my paragraphs long rant about iOS I posted in another thread 5 months or so ago.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Could you link it for me if you happen to have it at hand?

On 6/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, RejZoR said:

This guy has several things badly mixed up. Especially parts where he's saying Apple has crappy built products and have shit hardware. Excuse me, what? People have 5+ years old iPhones. And they run latest iOS. How many Android phones can brag with that? Hardly any. And Apple's chipset is STILL the fastest of all devices and it was released in Fall 2018. That's almost 1 year ago and newer products still hardly play catchup with it. Of course Apple also had hardware flaws or problems. Which company doesn't? I have the XR and everyone is bitching over it's "bad" screen. I had 1080p phone before. Can't tell a god damn difference. I used to be one of those specs idiots, but after seeing there is next to no difference on such tiny screens, I simply don't give a shit. If I have to look at text from 2cm distance to notice it might be slightly less sharp than on 1080p at same distance, who really gives a shit? Also Apple seems to be one of rare if not the only one to use highest grade 7000 aluminium for the phone frame. Same grade used in aviation. The rest uses softer 6000 aluminium.

So, bottom line is, Apple is shit with laptops and then providing support for them. For phones, it's nothing out of the ordinary. You should see horror stories about Xperia Android phones from several years ago and how they had flawed construction that made screens (the actual LCD panels) crack over time of normal usage and they refused to cover them under warranty. But hey, it's all Apple that everyone raves about and kinda forget other companies also do stupid shit while chasing profits. I even had Xiaomi Mi5 which is known to catastrophically fail if bent because it was not reinforced enough. I had it for 2 years. It's still not cracked in half. So it also boils down to usage and luck.

The aluminium grade I was mentioning had nothing to do with the flaw. I just said it's a better material as it's harder to scratch and dent which is what I care about. Not once I mentioned bending or anything else.

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So, bottom line is, Apple is shit with laptops and then providing support for them. For phones, it's nothing out of the ordinary. You should see horror stories about Xperia Android phones from several years ago and how they had flawed construction that made screens (the actual LCD panels) crack over time of normal usage and they refused to cover them under warranty. But hey, it's all Apple that everyone raves about and kinda forget other companies also do stupid shit while chasing profits. I even had Xiaomi Mi5 which is known to catastrophically fail if bent because it was not reinforced enough. I had it for 2 years. It's still not cracked in half. So it also boils down to usage and luck.

The aluminium grade I was mentioning had nothing to do with the flaw. I just said it's a better material as it's harder to scratch and dent which is what I care about. Not once I mentioned bending or anything else.

Every phone manufacturer makes faulty products every now and then. Apple made the iphone 6 which bent, and the iphone 8 with the motherboard issue. LG made phones with the bootloop issue. No manufacturer is perfect, its up to the individual. If you like Apple, good for you! I don't appreciate the pricing of the products when compared to the competition or the way they design their products to make them hard/impossible to repair (going as far as to brick phones using a non-officially repaired home button) but I know that the products they do offer are unique (e.g macos, ios, etc). If you are happy to buy their products then buy them, but please dear god do not act as though their products are better than the competition in every way no matter the price because you are only lying to yourself. Open your eyes a little maybe.

Zeddex

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

Lol, whatever. It's not like I have abundance of choice if I want privacy oriented device. Which means I have to write off ALL Androids, be it 20 € shits or 1000€ top of the line ones. Which means if I want a smartphone that doesn't have Google infestation, I basically need to stick with iPhone. That awesome "Android" open and free choice ain't it?

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Lol, whatever. It's not like I have abundance of choice if I want privacy oriented device. Which means I have to write off ALL Androids, be it 20 € shits or 1000€ top of the line ones. Which means if I want a smartphone that doesn't have Google infestation, I basically need to stick with iPhone. That awesome "Android" open and free choice ain't it?

You can have an Android phone without Google's services all over it. And even then, some Android phones you can buy you can root and install an Android build of your choosing.

Also I have no reason to believe Apple is as trustworthy as any other company. Any data in the clear is in the clear, regardless of what someone says how it's handled. Unless I secure it myself, it really doesn't make a difference in my eyes.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

You can have an Android phone without Google's services all over it. And even then, some Android phones you can buy you can root and install an Android build of your choosing.

Also I have no reason to believe Apple is as trustworthy as any other company. Any data in the clear is in the clear, regardless of what someone says how it's handled. Unless I secure it myself, it really doesn't make a difference in my eyes.

Like I said many times, phones without Google services are just fancy big screen dumb phones on which pretty much no banking app works. So, good luck using that. Been there, gone back to stock ROM and locked bootloader and gone to iPhone in the end when I said fuck it and thre Google in the bin entirely. How do I believe (for now) Apple more? They sell shit. For money. Google hands everything out for free like charity. Except they make billions yearly. Where does that money comes from? Sky? I can believe Apple when they say they respect privacy coz their explanation is plausible. They make expensive shit and sell it. When Google says it cares about privacy, I call it bullshit the moment they say it. You can't be fucking charity and make billions of it. Nothing works that way.

I'm leaving possibility Apple might betray our belief that they really handle privacy the way they say they do. At which point I don't know what I'll do. But until then, I'm using Apple solely because of that. Shit like this happens when companies push you so far you start using stuff you hated for years, just because they are the lesser evil of the two...

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Like I said many times, phones without Google services are just fancy big screen dumb phones on which pretty much no banking app works. So, good luck using that. Been there, gone back to stock ROM and locked bootloader and gone to iPhone in the end when I said fuck it and thre Google in the bin entirely. How do I believe (for now) Apple more? They sell shit. For money. Google hands everything out for free like charity. Except they make billions yearly. Where does that money comes from? Sky? I can believe Apple when they say they respect privacy coz their explanation is plausible. They make expensive shit and sell it. When Google says it cares about privacy, I call it bullshit the moment they say it. You can't be fucking charity and make billions of it. Nothing works that way.

I'm leaving possibility Apple might betray our belief that they really handle privacy the way they say they do. At which point I don't know what I'll do. But until then, I'm using Apple solely because of that. Shit like this happens when companies push you so far you start using stuff you hated for years, just because they are the lesser evil of the two...

Saying an Android phone without Google services is useless is like saying a car without wheels is useless.

The whole damn point of a car is to have wheels. Try using an iPhone without Apple services. At least with Android you can download and install APKs and still have all the apps you could want.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Apps selection on F-Droid is pathetic. And half of APK's crap out or throw errors if Google shit isn't present. But muh sideloading... I don't need that with Apple. And I've seen it work first hand with same app on Android and iOS. On Android it was forcing me to have GPS enabled and hoard my location data where on iOS, same exact app works happily with location data fully blocked.

What you talking about? I can disable playstore and all the Google stuffs and banking apps still work fine. In fact my device is rooted, I can uninstall all the Google stuffs as a super user and everything will still work 100%. 

Except Android pay of course cuz that thing itself is a Google app. 

Can you even disable app store on iOS btw? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

No you can't just disable google's shit. And my phone wasn't even rooted, just unlocked and banking apps shit their pants. Dude, I was there and went back. Also, why would I disable App Store lmao? It's Google hording data on all ends, not Apple...

Google hands everything out for free like charity. Except they make billions yearly. Where does that money comes from? Sky? I can believe Apple when they say they respect privacy coz their explanation is plausible. They make expensive shit and sell it. When Google says it cares about privacy, I call it bullshit the moment they say it. You can't be fucking charity and make billions of it. Nothing works that way.

Since some people on this thread don't understand how Google works i will have to write it out.

TL:DR: Google is actually much more secure with your data as for example Apple, because their whole income relies on the data being as secure and unaccessible as possible.

Ok now how google works:

Lets say i have a new product. I want to only market it to stay at home moms who like football and who live in New York. So you put up a Google ad with those specific parameters and then Google serves the add to ONLY those very specific people.

If at any point ANY data would leak out then that would be a disaster for Google, because then you could find those persons yourself and you could cut out the middle man Google.

SO it is very very important to Google that all of the data stays ultra secure and that no one can access your info. But if it is some company whose livelihood doesn't depend on the data, then they don't have much reason to protect it as much.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

31 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Apps selection on F-Droid is pathetic. And half of APK's crap out or throw errors if Google shit isn't present. But muh sideloading... I don't need that with Apple. And I've seen it work first hand with same app on Android and iOS. On Android it was forcing me to have GPS enabled and hoard my location data where on iOS, same exact app works happily with location data fully blocked.

I didn't mean f-droid. I just meant generally downloading APKs and running them.

Also, that "same exact app" only works with Apple services enabled. It works fine on Android if you enable Google services. Also, what is it with Apple users saying "who would need that?" to features they don't have? A friend of mine with an iPhone X called swiping to type on my Android phone stupid...until Apple added it, when it suddenly becomes cool.

Also, please quote people. It's not that hard, and you have over 1,700 posts. You should know better.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Louis is biased? ofc he is. Apple is trying to get him out of business, ofc he will be biased against apple. To be fair, Apple's action for anti-right-of-repair should be more aware and Louis is doing the right thing to expose them. 

ppl need to know that when you are receiving information, you have to have the ability to filter out those bias and look at the facts.

iphone are great, and possibly better than any other competitor form the software support point of view and the hardware performance/quality point of view. The only two incidents are:

1. the bent-gate, which to be fair, is a lesson to be learned for every phone manufacture by then, When iphone 6 series were out, a lot of other phone have the same shitty quality and will bend easy, so everyone learned from it and now phones are much more rigid.

2. they intentionally slow old generation of iphones down. They argue its for custormers own good but we all know they are forcing ppl to buy new phones.

Other than these, iphone has been great.

The problem is their laptop design. I remember Louis point of in one of his videos, that Apple design the circuit with two pins very close to each other one being high Voltage the other being low voltage. And he said it is a very bad practice, because with that close distance, shorts are bound to be happening and your circuit with low voltage will be fried. Apple can not get away with this kind of basic design failure. Also, with the butter-fly keyboard, they must have known the issue by now, but their effort to address to long-time issue is not shown. for a 'trillion' dollar company, we expect you to fix your shit faster!

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I didn't mean f-droid. I just meant generally downloading APKs and running them.

Also, that "same exact app" only works with Apple services enabled. It works fine on Android if you enable Google services. Also, what is it with Apple users saying "who would need that?" to features they don't have? A friend of mine with an iPhone X called swiping to type on my Android phone stupid...until Apple added it, when it suddenly becomes cool.

Also, please quote people. It's not that hard, and you have over 1,700 posts. You should know better.

And make fucking landslide of quoted quotes? You should know better too... Yeah, it's Apple's ecosystem and said ecosystem forced dumb app and its greedy data hoarding dev from forcing me to use the location access with FORCED usage of GPS (not just basic location, full on fucking GPS otherwise it just shits itself with an "error") even though it doesn't even need it because it doesn't offer ANY location based features at all. Where on Android, of course Google doesn't give two fucks about it, they are data hoarders themselves. That's the bloody difference I'm talking about for last gazillion pages. And yeah, I don't need to sideload an app if shit is sorted out on the App Store. And despite all the bitching from everyone, Apple has that sorted whether you like it or not. You call it a feature, I call it safety feature. You can scream all you want how it's unfair, but I come from support and security background and I know what all dumb shit people do when you give them freedom. Which is why I understand why Apple doesn't allow it. Apple products are for the dumb masses, not for expert geeks and that's another fact. Not allowing something is a much safer bet to keep things away from broken or compromised state.

@Devin92

About both points...

1. Yes, those iPhones had structural problems, but so did many Android phones that hardly anyone talked about. Things did improve a lot, but you can still find expensive phones that are less than optimal structurally and would fail catastrophically when bent.

2. Ah yes, the slowdown. I was outraged too at first, but after some thinking, I realized it was actually a rather clever approach. Apple just has a nasty habit of dealing with it in a way that doesn't give user a choice in this regard. Apple's chipsets are hands down superior to anything anyone else offers and have been for a while. Just look at A12 that's from Fall 2018 and much never chipsets like Snapdragon 855 are hardly coming close to its performance and it was released like half a year later. So, slowing down A12 after years of use, at worse it'll drop to Snapdragon 855 level, maybe a bit below. How is this... bad? Apple could simply solve this by offering controls from the get go and let user decide whether they want max performance and they'll just need to charge more often or let chipset slow down a bit to compensate for battery capacity loss. That was really the main issue, not giving user a decision on performance and battery, not the compensation they did to improve long term usability.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You can scream all you want

Sounds to me like you're the one screaming.

This is the first thing I found when I Googled "location emulator android"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rosteam.gpsemulator&hl=en_US

Free location spoofing. Cool, eh?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1. Yes, those iPhones had structural problems, but so did many Android phones that hardly anyone talked about. Things did improve a lot, but you can still find expensive phones that are less than optimal structurally and would fail catastrophically when bent.

The iPhone 6 and 6+ bent. Instead of fixing it, Apple put the same flaw in the iPhone 7, whereas other manufacturers would just fix it.

2. Ah yes, the slowdown. I was outraged too at first, but after some thinking, I realized it was actually a rather clever approach. Apple just has a nasty habit of dealing with it in a way that doesn't give user a choice in this regard. Apple's chipsets are hands down superior to anything anyone else offers and have been for a while. Just look at A12 that's from Fall 2018 and much never chipsets like Snapdragon 855 are hardly coming close to its performance and it was released like half a year later. So, slowing down A12 after years of use, at worse it'll drop to Snapdragon 855 level, maybe a bit below. How is this... bad? Apple could simply solve this by offering controls from the get go and let user decide whether they want max performance and they'll just need to charge more often or let chipset slow down a bit to compensate for battery capacity loss. That was really the main issue, not giving user a decision on performance and battery, not the compensation they did to improve long term usability.

The A12 is only outperforming the SD855 because of optimization. Doesn't the iPhone X only have, like, 3GB of RAM? I bet that the SD855 would wipe the floor with the A12 if either the A12 had to run Android that wasn't as well optimized for it, or if phones with the SD855 were as well optimized for Android.

Also, the key thing here is that Apple *could* offer the option for max performance or "max" battery life. But they won't since they can squeeze more money out of consumers by having them either replace the battery or replace the phone. There's a reason there was a big lawsuit over it (https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/05/yet-another-iphone-slowdown-class-action/). Apple never has and never will give consumers the option that will benefit the consumer instead of the company because why have them happy when you can get $1200 out of them instead of just replacing the battery for $30?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

That was really the main issue, not giving user a decision on performance and battery, not the compensation they did to improve long term usability.

the main issue is that they didn't tell anyone until AFTER they were called out. if it's was actually known, then there would not have been as big of an outrage. what normal person would think "oh my phone is slow, time to replace the battery"? most people would assume "oh, my phone is slow, must be getting old, time to get a new one" which is just as bad as if they did it intentionally to try and get people to upgrade/get a new phone

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

47 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Doesn't the iPhone X only have, like, 3GB of RAM?

Uh, Android's RAM management is pretty bad. iOS has very little in RAM that isn't OS services and the currently active app, whereas Android keeps any app that was opened (and not closed) in RAM until the app is explicitly closed.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.