i7 4790k
ASUS vii ranger (latest bios)
GTX 980 ti
Corsair ax 850 80+ gold
ADATA DDR3 2400mhz
3 ssd + 2 HDD
ASUS ROG PG279q
Corsair air 540

So my issue is that I can't switch on my pc with the power button but only when I keep switching my PSU on and off a couple of times then it goes on and everything seems fine. sometimes my pc goes on and no display and sometimes I get it going on then immediately off. I then switch it off then do the usual thing where I have to keep switching the on/off button then it comes on again. The psu is a bit old now. I though maybe it's a power issue going into the PSU and the work gave me an old ups they don't use anymore with new batteries.

Now before I fork out money on another psu I don't have another system to quickly test the PSU. I know about the paper clip test but before I go through that maybe someone had similar issues and can confirm if PSU or not. I would rather not upgrade the psu cause I can spend that money towards upgrading the rest of my system. If it's the psu then I want to upgrade to corsair AX1000. I know I don't need 1000w but I'm from South Africa and AX1000w is the only 80+ titanium psu and from the reviews the ripple is one of the best if not the best. I don't know if I should rather go for something lower like Corsair RMi/RM series or any of the other top tier rated psu that's a little bit cheaper.

Anyway hope someone can help me figure this out as I haven't changed anything really that I would think can cause the issue.

Here is a 2 stores where I can buy a new psu if need be

https://www.rebeltech.co.za/61-power-supplies

https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/power-supplies

I'm really leaning towards the ax1000 if I need to buy a new psu cause If I can keep it for 10 years it's not that expensive actually and I have my pc on 24/7.

I would just go ahead and get a new PSU. I am unconfident about sticking metal into something that can kill you.

16 minutes ago, Diceair said:

. I know about the paper clip test but before I go through that maybe someone had similar issues and can confirm if PSU or not. 

The paperclip test only tests if the PSU can output power, not if it's still any good.

16 minutes ago, Diceair said:

I'm really leaning towards the ax1000 if I need to buy a new psu cause If I can keep it for 10 years it's not that expensive actually and I have my pc on 24/7.

Your current PSU is already vastly overkill, no need to go that overboard. How old is your PSU? It may well be covered by warranty.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

17 minutes ago, VinZie said:

I would just go ahead and get a new PSU. I am unconfident about sticking metal into something that can kill you.

what you mean by sticking metal into something. I'm not going to fix my current PSU but I'm not sure if my motherboard or PSU. I also have an idea it's my PSU. Just wish I could get the AX850w here but we not getting any stock in that soon. I can also get some EVGA models but I don't know corsair just looks like the better model if you compare the EVGA vs Corsair models we can get here in South Africa

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The paperclip test only tests if the PSU can output power, not if it's still any good.

Your current PSU is already vastly overkill, no need to go that overboard. How old is your PSU? It may well be covered by warranty.

I think it's older than 7 years now

3 minutes ago, Diceair said:

what you mean by sticking metal into something. I'm not going to fix my current PSU but I'm not sure if my motherboard or PSU. I also have an idea it's my PSU. Just wish I could get the AX850w here but we not getting any stock in that soon. I can also get some EVGA models but I don't know corsair just looks like the better model if you compare the EVGA vs Corsair models we can get here in South Africa

I highly doubt its the motherboard. When you're switching the power on and off on the PSU to even turn on your PC and you even saying its old gives an idea that the PSU lived its long hard life.

Also about sticking metal into something.

22 minutes ago, Diceair said:

I know about the paper clip test but before I go through that

4 minutes ago, Diceair said:

think it's older than 7 years now

There are companies that offer 10 year warranties, worth contacting Corsair customer support and finding out, or better yet, @Corsair Nick

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, VinZie said:

I highly doubt its the motherboard. When you're switching the power on and off on the PSU to even turn on your PC and you even saying its old gives an idea that the PSU lived its long hard life.

so from the websites I linked what would you recommend me? I know there is a RMX850w 2018 edition and a ax1000w the other ones according to some reviews doesn't look to good. I'm also willing to take other brands than Corsair

I'm almost certain it's the PSU, it seems like the most likely cause of the problem.

The AX850 isn't exactly a new PSU either, if I remember correctly it was released around 2011. Now would be a good time to replace it regardless of whether or not it's working. You're not going to be able to find one new since they were discontinued a few years ago.

28 minutes ago, Diceair said:

The AX1000 is vastly overkill, there isn't any need to get such a PSU. An RM750x is more than enough for your PC (https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-rm750x-750w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html)

24 minutes ago, Diceair said:

I know about the paper clip test but before I go through that

I would go with the ax1000w

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

There are companies that offer 10 year warranties, worth contacting Corsair customer support and finding out, or better yet, @Corsair Nick

nope my unit is still old and doesn't come with the 10 years warranty only 7 years but I get what you say. worth a shot giving them my serial number. Maybe they can help me out don't have the receipt and box anymore so would have to unscrew the psu

6 minutes ago, XR6 said:

I'm almost certain it's the PSU, it seems like the most likely cause of the problem.

The AX850 isn't exactly a new PSU either, if I remember correctly it was released around 2011. Now would be a good time to replace it regardless of whether or not it's working. You're not going to be able to find one new since they were discontinued a few years ago.

The AX1000 is vastly overkill, there isn't any need to get such a PSU. An RM750x is more than enough for your PC (https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-rm750x-750w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html)

don't you mean this one as it's the 2018 edition. I think the one you link is not the 2018 edition but the older rmx version.

https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-cp-9020179-rmx-series-rm750x-2018-edition-750w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html

I just want to make sure I'm at least getting the 2018 edition

Just responded to your PM.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

12 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Just responded to your PM.

thanks for the effort

ok so corsair said psu is not under warranty anymore

7 hours ago, Diceair said:

ok so corsair said psu is not under warranty anymore

Then just get a new PSU. I wouldn't fight with Corsair about warranties and shit it's useless.

6 minutes ago, VinZie said:

I wouldn't fight with Corsair about warranties and shit it's useless.

Wtaf are you talking about? The AX850 Gold came with a 7 year warranty and is from 2010. Do you seriously think it would be fair if they replaced a PSU that's years out of warranty?

:)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

Wtaf are you talking about? The AX850 Gold came with a 7 year warranty and is from 2010. Do you seriously think it would be fair if they replaced a PSU that's years out of warranty?

Remember:  This is the guy that thinks jumpering the power on signal to ground is dangerous.  ;)

On 6/21/2019 at 7:53 AM, Diceair said:

So my issue is that I can't switch on my pc with the power button but only when I keep switching my PSU on and off a couple of times then it goes on and everything seems fine. sometimes my pc goes on and no display and sometimes I get it going on then immediately off. I then switch it off then do the usual thing where I have to keep switching the on/off button then it comes on again. The psu is a bit old now. I though maybe it's a power issue going into the PSU and the work gave me an old ups they don't use anymore with new batteries.

The PSU >>is<< old.  But this sounds like a motherboard problem.  

Get a new PSU simply because that one is over a decade old, but you don't need 1000W and the ROI on Titanium efficiency is going to be longer than the life of the PSU.  Also surprised that the stores in S.A. would have the 1000W version and not the 850W.  Unless they had the 850W version and quickly sold out.

But once you replace the PSU and find the problem continues, you'll want to replace that motherboard.

8 hours ago, VinZie said:

Then just get a new PSU. I wouldn't fight with Corsair about warranties and shit it's useless.

BTW I'm not even fighting with corsair about warranty claims cause I know it's out of warranty but you know one can at least tried cause it happened to me before where a product was replaced after warranty expired.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Remember:  This is the guy that thinks jumpering the power on signal to ground is dangerous.  ;)

The PSU >>is<< old.  But this sounds like a motherboard problem.  

Get a new PSU simply because that one is over a decade old, but you don't need 1000W and the ROI on Titanium efficiency is going to be longer than the life of the PSU.  Also surprised that the stores in S.A. would have the 1000W version and not the 850W.  Unless they had the 850W version and quickly sold out.

But once you replace the PSU and find the problem continues, you'll want to replace that motherboard.

I also thought it's a motherboard issue. I don't mind the way I need to start it now as long as it doesn't damage my components but I wouldn't mind having this fixed as well. I'm also just waiting a bit to see what intel and amd does cause for me my performance is good and to get a new motherboard is a no go due to the old 4th gen cpu I have so Would have to upgrade my cpu, ram and gpu. Glad the one and only Jonnyguru answered my question and I think I trust you the most but although I think you can't always know everything. Do you know a way to check my voltages? So far I don't have any issues with the pc as long as I the psu is on it runs just fine.

Oh another thing is some time ago maybe a year or so ago I had massive coil whine on the PSU under load on the PSU but ewver since this issue I don't get coil whine any more

21 minutes ago, Diceair said:

Do you know a way to check my voltages? So far I don't have any issues with the pc as long as I the psu is on it runs just fine.

You check voltages by taking a digital multi-meter and probing the pins on an available connector.

But even "bad voltages" isn't going to cause the problem you're seeing.  If it has ANYTHING to do with the PSU, it's going to be the power good signal's timing delay.  My guess is the power good signal isn't coming from the motherboard telling the PSU to turn on when you press the button on the chassis.  That signal could also be dropping out which is causing the shut down issue.

23 minutes ago, Diceair said:

Oh another thing is some time ago maybe a year or so ago I had massive coil whine on the PSU under load on the PSU but ewver since this issue I don't get coil whine any more

Coil whine is not indicative of a bad or failing unit.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16642-What-is-quot-coil-whine-quot-and-what-is-that-goopy-stuff-all-over-the-inside-of-my-PSU

And coil whine was quite notorious on those old Seasonic made units.

30 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You check voltages by taking a digital multi-meter and probing the pins on an available connector.

But even "bad voltages" isn't going to cause the problem you're seeing.  If it has ANYTHING to do with the PSU, it's going to be the power good signal's timing delay.  My guess is the power good signal isn't coming from the motherboard telling the PSU to turn on when you press the button on the chassis.  That signal could also be dropping out which is causing the shut down issue.

Coil whine is not indicative of a bad or failing unit.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16642-What-is-quot-coil-whine-quot-and-what-is-that-goopy-stuff-all-over-the-inside-of-my-PSU

And coil whine was quite notorious on those old Seasonic made units.

interesting. I actually might as well replace the PSU as it had it's fair share. think the rm750x should be good enough. even a rm650x should be good enough

2 minutes ago, Diceair said:

interesting. I actually might as well replace the PSU as it had it's fair share. think the rm750x should be good enough. even a rm650x should be good enough

A good 550W PSU, such as the RM550X, is more than enough power for a single CPU and GPU setup

4 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

A good 550W PSU, such as the RM550X, is more than enough power for a single CPU and GPU setup

I get what you say but the lowest I can go is 750w in the RMX line. The only thing is I would want the 2018 version of the rmx not the older ones and we have a few older ones going around here. So lowest I can go is RM750x. that's if I go corsair units. We also have Super flower leadex ii here and they don't look bad either but by the looks of it the corsair is still better overall but I might be wrong and the leadex II gold is better unit I don't know.

Anyway it's late here now so not going to respond to this thread for now.

54 minutes ago, Diceair said:

I get what you say but the lowest I can go is 750w in the RMX line. The only thing is I would want the 2018 version of the rmx not the older ones

Why?

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why?

The newer ones is a bit better build quality with less ripple and just overall cleaner power

4 minutes ago, Diceair said:

The newer ones is a bit better build quality with less ripple and just overall cleaner power

Actually, no.  Whoever says that is lying.

The older one is far better build quality.  The new one just leverages CWT's GPU platform with some improvements in efficiency and regulation over other GPU platforms already in the market.

The only advantage to the new RMx is that is is 20mm shorter than the old one.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, no.  Whoever says that is lying.

The older one is far better build quality.  The new one just leverages CWT's GPU platform with some improvements in efficiency and regulation over other GPU platforms already in the market.

The only advantage to the new RMx is that is is 20mm shorter than the old one.

AAAAAHHHH ok that's good to know. The price is not that much more for the RM750x 2018 model vs the rm650x older model. ok I have the following in mind

https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-rm550x-550w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html

https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-cp-9020179-rmx-series-rm750x-2018-edition-750w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html

I have this power meter that you plug into the wall to measure the power coming from the wall and max I saw was 450w but actually it was about 350-450w I know that doesn't take the efficiency into account cause it's directly from the plug so not sure if the RM550x will be good enough for me. a PSU is most efficient at 50% load but I don't really know what is the real power usage if you take efficiency  into account. I will want to upgrade my system later on but as rech evolve thing do get more power efficient and would like to be able to handle a mainstream i9 and let's say gtx 2080ti level of system. My air 540 is serving me pretty well so won't really install more HDD into the system as I have another system I got from work using that as a media server etc.