Is my PSU faulty

Diceair
10 hours ago, Diceair said:

AAAAAHHHH ok that's good to know. The price is not that much more for the RM750x 2018 model vs the rm650x older model. ok I have the following in mind

https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-rm550x-550w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html

https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-cp-9020179-rmx-series-rm750x-2018-edition-750w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html

I have this power meter that you plug into the wall to measure the power coming from the wall and max I saw was 450w but actually it was about 350-450w I know that doesn't take the efficiency into account cause it's directly from the plug so not sure if the RM550x will be good enough for me. a PSU is most efficient at 50% load but I don't really know what is the real power usage if you take efficiency  into account. I will want to upgrade my system later on but as rech evolve thing do get more power efficient and would like to be able to handle a mainstream i9 and let's say gtx 2080ti level of system. My air 540 is serving me pretty well so won't really install more HDD into the system as I have another system I got from work using that as a media server etc.

The DC output is going to be lower than the AC load.  So if you're measuring 450W at the wall, that means your PSU is using less than 450W.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

The DC output is going to be lower than the AC load.  So if you're measuring 450W at the wall, that means your PSU is using less than 450W.

that I knew already knew due to efficiency of the psu. do you think I should rather go for the 750w just for future upgrade or just stick to the 550w. I will never go HEDT platform and if I do will just buy new psu. 

Thanks for your input

35 minutes ago, Diceair said:

that I knew already knew due to efficiency of the psu. do you think I should rather go for the 750w just for future upgrade or just stick to the 550w. I will never go HEDT platform and if I do will just buy new psu. 

Thanks for your input

If you're never doing HEDT and aren't planning on using two graphics cards, there's no reason to use a 750W PSU unless you can get a hell of a deal on a good one.

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you're never doing HEDT and aren't planning on using two graphics cards, there's no reason to use a 750W PSU unless you can get a hell of a deal on a good one.

ok so i decided on the rm750x 2018 cause it's 10 years warranty above the 7 years and also it's not that much more expensive. Also the fan won't spin up to about 300w giving me a quieter system.

7 minutes ago, Diceair said:

ok so i decided on the rm750x 2018 cause it's 10 years warranty above the 7 years and also it's not that much more expensive. Also the fan won't spin up to about 300w giving me a quieter system.

Both the old and new RMx have 10 year warranties. (Earlier RMx marketing campaigns might say 7, but it was retrospectively upgraded to 10 for all RMx units.) And no, the higher capacity RMx's are the same platform as the lower capacity versions, so heat generation should be very similar, so the fan curve will be very similar. Higher capacity PSUs often have a more aggressive fan, because a higher wattage PSU, will generate more heat under full load, so needs to dissipate more heat.

The fan changes speed based on heat, not based on load or strain.

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Both the old and new RMx have 10 year warranties. (Earlier RMx marketing campaigns might say 7, but it was retrospectively upgraded to 10 for all RMx units.) And no, the higher capacity RMx's are the same platform as the lower capacity versions, so heat generation should be very similar, so the fan curve will be very similar. Higher capacity PSUs often have a more aggressive fan, because a higher wattage PSU, will generate more heat under full load, so needs to dissipate more heat.

The fan changes speed based on heat, not based on load or strain.

Well not according to the manual. RM550x 0 fan noise to about 220w load RM650x to about 260w load and RM 750x to about 300w and rm850 to about 340w. So if that's no true corsair is lying. I understand it will ramp up with heat but I doubt heat will be an issue. My corsair ax850 gold the fan spins up when doing metro exodus benchmark but only slightly.

Oh and between the RM650x old vs RM750x is South African rands only like +-R250 difference.

9 minutes ago, Diceair said:

Well not according to the manual. RM550x 0 fan noise to about 220w load RM650x to about 260w load and RM 750x to about 300w and rm850 to about 340w. So if that's no true corsair is lying.

Those graphs are only example fan speeds at certain, undisclosed temperatures. If air was hotter or colder, those speeds would be different.

image.png.0349c27e83a3449e61e705eb33bf745e.png

But yes, if your AX850 only slightly spins up in Metro, then RMx will be quiet too.

33 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Those graphs are only example fan speeds at certain, undisclosed temperatures. If air was hotter or colder, those speeds would be different.

image.png.0349c27e83a3449e61e705eb33bf745e.png

But yes, if your AX850 only slightly spins up in Metro, then RMx will be quiet too.

True that would be stupid if the thing didn't spin up at hotter loads. The only downside of the RMx line is no fan test button but that's a minor issue. ambient temps in the summer for my gaming room is about 27-30C but now that it's winter times it's much lower. I have watercooled my gpu with kraken g12 and h75 and in the hot summers it goes to about my gpu goes to about 50C under max load when playing Battelfield v and now in the winter same game it's about 38-42C max maybe peak to 44C but quickly goes down. Also my gpu has custom bios with voltage set to 1.212v and overclocked. I think this RM750x is the perfect fit for my current system. future systems will have no issues even on i9 9900k overclocked and RTX2080ti Overclocked I think.

9 hours ago, Diceair said:

True that would be stupid if the thing didn't spin up at hotter loads. The only downside of the RMx line is no fan test button but that's a minor issue. 

The fan does a test spin at start up.  If you're paranoid about whether or not your fan is working (which is highly unlikely within the first 10 years of ownership), you just watch the fan as you power up the PC.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

The fan does a test spin at start up.  If you're paranoid about whether or not your fan is working (which is highly unlikely within the first 10 years of ownership), you just watch the fan as you power up the PC.

ok cool thanks

On 6/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, jonnyGURU said:

ok just an update so I got the rm750x and it works. i can switch on the pc with the power button again. I tried the PSU test on the old AX850 and I have to do the same thing where I have to press the power switch on and off on the psu.

So glad it works now.