Need a cheap used GPU for the old mans PC..

ch3w2oy

Okay, so I'm pretty up to date with new technology, CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, RAM, etc.. What I don't know much about is which used graphics card would be best for my situation.. 

I'm upgrading my current build to a new X570 and Ryzen 3800X/3900X and I will be using my old motherboard (Crosshair VII) and CPU (Ryzen 2600) to build out my father's new PC.. 

He doesn't play games and it will be mostly for business (he's a contractor and is coming from an AIO display PC combo HAAHHAA - seriously made me lol when he told me). So basic office/tax stuff.. I would like the option to play games if the kids or his new girlfriend want to go on it but it doesn't need to be stronger than what comes with a 2400G.. 

And that's where I'm a little lost, I guess I would pay max $80 to 100 for this, so I guess the best GPU I can get for that? I know AMD has great used cars that still perform great. I don't need the most power per dollar as I would like to get something that will last as long as possible.. A new GPU with a warranty that can pump out the equivalent power of the 2400G would be even better.. I see RX 570s that can fit the budget on eBay but I'm not sure if that's the best option.. That's also a little on the stronger side, I rather get something a little weaker that has the potential to last longer, does that make sense?

Last option I'm considering is using my step daughters 2400g and motherboard and just giving her the 2600 with a better GPU (RX 580) since she does game.. Neither one of them will use either to its fullest potential before I upgrade them anyway so this option just creates more work for me.. Either way, it's paid for so whatever, throw me some advice or opinions.. 

I'm thinking the other specs will be.. 

Ryzen 2600

Crosshair VII 

3200 c16 memory 

1tb SSD

Corsair TXM PSU (most likely)

I'm in the US, BTW.. 

EDIT: I'M AT WORK AND WILL REPLY SOON, THANKS FOR THE HELP! 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

2 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I see RX 570s that can fit the budget on eBay but I'm not sure if that's the best option.. That's also a little on the stronger side, I rather get something a little weaker that has the potential to last longer, does that make sense?

if a 570 would be too much, how about a used 560 ? They are between an old HD7870 and 7950, don't use much power and are quite cheap on the used market. My brother has a 7870 in his build, he plays mostly MMORPG and his kids play Minecraft and Roblox (all at 1080p), and he's not looking to upgrade.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Last option I'm considering is using my step daughters 2400g and motherboard and just giving her the 2600 with a better GPU (RX 580) since she does game..

This sounds a great solution if you ask me.

That aside on your case anything would work, I'd grab a RX 560 because brand new is more reliable and is sufficient on his case and call it a day.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Second hand rx 570 for about 80$ (mining) is a good choice

Otherwise older hd 7850 and hd 7950 are both upt to date driverwise and great budget cards

8 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

used have have a few 7970s. Wile the 79x0 cards are nice and still game well, one must be mindful of the TDP. The 7970 1ghz version is a 300w card. You might be better off money wise buying a newer card with a lower TDP in the long run.

EDIT:

I believe the 7950 is a 200w card.

Yeah they arent the most powerefficient under load, but at idle they are fine and they pack a real punch for their price. 

Newer is usually better, but i wouldnt discount these old veterans

14 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Can't you get a second hand 1050ti for around 80-100$?

Can get a rx 570 at that price. And that would be a better pickup

19 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Can get a rx 570 at that price. And that would be a better pickup

That would be pretty good, but if you want some extra VRAM could do this 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-RX-480-8GB-RS-Graphics-Card-VR-READY-2-3Day-Shipping-/113733606411

edit: Yes I know there are 8GB variants of the 570, they’re just more expensive 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

On 6/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, ch3w2oy said:

Okay, so I'm pretty up to date with new technology, CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, RAM, etc.. What I don't know much about is which used graphics card would be best for my situation.. 

I'm upgrading my current build to a new X570 and Ryzen 3800X/3900X and I will be using my old motherboard (Crosshair VII) and CPU (Ryzen 2600) to build out my father's new PC.. 

He doesn't play games and it will be mostly for business (he's a contractor and is coming from an AIO display PC combo HAAHHAA - seriously made me lol when he told me). So basic office/tax stuff.. I would like the option to play games if the kids or his new girlfriend want to go on it but it doesn't need to be stronger than what comes with a 2400G.. 

And that's where I'm a little lost, I guess I would pay max $80 to 100 for this, so I guess the best GPU I can get for that? I know AMD has great used cars that still perform great. I don't need the most power per dollar as I would like to get something that will last as long as possible.. A new GPU with a warranty that can pump out the equivalent power of the 2400G would be even better.. I see RX 570s that can fit the budget on eBay but I'm not sure if that's the best option.. That's also a little on the stronger side, I rather get something a little weaker that has the potential to last longer, does that make sense?

Last option I'm considering is using my step daughters 2400g and motherboard and just giving her the 2600 with a better GPU (RX 580) since she does game.. Neither one of them will use either to its fullest potential before I upgrade them anyway so this option just creates more work for me.. Either way, it's paid for so whatever, throw me some advice or opinions.. 

I'm thinking the other specs will be.. 

Ryzen 2600

Crosshair VII 

3200 c16 memory 

1tb SSD

Corsair TXM PSU (most likely)

I'm in the US, BTW.. 

EDIT: I'M AT WORK AND WILL REPLY SOON, THANKS FOR THE HELP! 

On Amazon you can get a sapphire nitro oc Rx 480 used for $108. Here is the link: 

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-Graphics-Graphic-11260-20-20G/dp/B06VSWDK2H/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=rx+480&qid=1559574999&s=gateway&sprefix=rx+480&sr=8-7

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

You could get a used rx580 of eBay for that price DO NOT get a 570

How about shitty GTX 660(Ti) or HD7850 I mean its pretty cheap, IDK how power hungry it is.