Should I lock my FPS at 75?

Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
5 hours ago, Lezinthegod said:

if my goal is having a consistently fluid gameplay with the highest graphics possible should I lock my fps on 75 (a fps I can reach in all games)? If I do, will I eventually get used to it? Should I let freesync on?

Cap your fps with MSI Afterburner, don't lock it in some other way. Cap it at the highest fps you can achieve(in your case 105, depending on the game). Keep FreeSync ON and v-sync OFF. FreeSync is nowhere near as useful as just capping your fps with MSI Afterburner and keeping FreeSync ON with v-sync OFF is the way to go. Having FreeSync ON will help out with slightly higher frame rates, just make sure v-sync is almost always OFF. Use v-sync for games that for some reason give you screen tearing and those are the games you can "lock your fps" with. Very few games require this though. To this day, Shadow of Mordor is one of the very few games that introduces screen tearing for me.

The fluctuating of your fps from 75-105 is a much better experience than locking it at 75, this I assure you. The trick is mastering your graphic settings. This will maximize your fps to around 90-105 instead of 75-105, depending on the game of course. Also, how much RAM you have and the speed of your RAM matters as well as your GPU/CPU.

So from playing game to game, you need to figure out the best custom graphic settings possible. You do NOT need to go Ultra on all of them. You need to figure out which settings cause the most fps gain/loss and what each of those settings do to your game visually. This will vary dramatically from game to game but once you master the settings, I assure you your fps will be much higher and much more stable and you will have a near-ultra like experience visually. Like I said, you gotta spend time mastering the settings though. From game... to game.

This is from my experience gaming with a 6th gen i5/1070 combo for the last few years. I now game in 1440p and achieve around 90-105 fps on average in just about every high-demanding game I play. If it's not so demanding, I get much higher fps around 115-130. And if it's even less demanding, I can achieve a locked 144 fps.

It's all in mastering the graphic settings and using MSI Afterburner to cap your fps at the max you can achieve.

Hi guys!

I really like to have my games on ultra settings and I’m pretty ok with sacrificing a bit of fps and fluidity to have this. I play mostly fps games (BFV, Apex) and MMORPGs (TESO, POE, GW2) and in all of them I’m able to get something between 75 - 90 fps on high/ultra settings. 

Right know I have an 144hz monitor with freesync and I let it on all the time, but whenever my fps variates (from like 100 to 90 to 75 and them back to 90 when a granade explodes) it really breaks my experience and it’s simply annoying at this point .

My questions are: if my goal is having a consistently fluid gameplay with the highest graphics possible should I lock my fps on 75 (a fps I can reach in all games)? If I do, will I eventually get used to it? Should I let freesync on?

You could lock your refresh rate to 75hz and give a try with V-Sync... see if you like the experience.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

27 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

You could lock your refresh rate to 75hz and give a try with V-Sync... see if you like the experience.

I have Vsync on in nvidia’s control panel since I’ve heard it’s advisable to do so when you have freesync on

16 minutes ago, TamerOfCarps said:

Play around with numbers on the fps lock.

You mean I should change the lock depending on the game I’m playing? 

7 minutes ago, Lezinthegod said:

I have Vsync on in nvidia’s control panel since I’ve heard it’s advisable to do so when you have freesync on

Yeah but you're V-Sync'ing for 144hz... thus why you change your refresh rate to 75....

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Luna said:

Yeah but you're V-Sync'ing for 144hz... thus why you change your refresh rate to 75....

Hmm yeah, it makes sense but when I have freesync on I cant really change the refresh rate on my monitor anymore. I thought that freesync would align the refresh rate with the fps I’m reaching

For the short time I used a 144hz monitor I used half vsync in the Nvidia control panel and also clamped games in settings or config files.

Some immersion breaking frame rate drops are caused by CPU and i/o events so even having GPU "overhead" will not always fix them. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 hours ago, Lezinthegod said:

if my goal is having a consistently fluid gameplay with the highest graphics possible should I lock my fps on 75 (a fps I can reach in all games)? If I do, will I eventually get used to it? Should I let freesync on?

Cap your fps with MSI Afterburner, don't lock it in some other way. Cap it at the highest fps you can achieve(in your case 105, depending on the game). Keep FreeSync ON and v-sync OFF. FreeSync is nowhere near as useful as just capping your fps with MSI Afterburner and keeping FreeSync ON with v-sync OFF is the way to go. Having FreeSync ON will help out with slightly higher frame rates, just make sure v-sync is almost always OFF. Use v-sync for games that for some reason give you screen tearing and those are the games you can "lock your fps" with. Very few games require this though. To this day, Shadow of Mordor is one of the very few games that introduces screen tearing for me.

The fluctuating of your fps from 75-105 is a much better experience than locking it at 75, this I assure you. The trick is mastering your graphic settings. This will maximize your fps to around 90-105 instead of 75-105, depending on the game of course. Also, how much RAM you have and the speed of your RAM matters as well as your GPU/CPU.

So from playing game to game, you need to figure out the best custom graphic settings possible. You do NOT need to go Ultra on all of them. You need to figure out which settings cause the most fps gain/loss and what each of those settings do to your game visually. This will vary dramatically from game to game but once you master the settings, I assure you your fps will be much higher and much more stable and you will have a near-ultra like experience visually. Like I said, you gotta spend time mastering the settings though. From game... to game.

This is from my experience gaming with a 6th gen i5/1070 combo for the last few years. I now game in 1440p and achieve around 90-105 fps on average in just about every high-demanding game I play. If it's not so demanding, I get much higher fps around 115-130. And if it's even less demanding, I can achieve a locked 144 fps.

It's all in mastering the graphic settings and using MSI Afterburner to cap your fps at the max you can achieve.

11 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

I agree, I too have a 144hz monitor, I tend to lock my frames. at the range which I most likely be. Having a CONSTANT and CONSISTENT frame is better....if it's all over the place it's really bad, it will feel smooth all sudden it becomes laggy....this is also affected by the different Frametime. 
Which is far more important than Framerate. You would want better Frametime than Framerate....if you have 144 FPS pumping constantly, but horrible Frametime spikes here and there, you will feel your game laggy, stuttering...