What's the best Windows Server OS for me?

Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,

I would go with 2016 standard. Just my personal Pref

Hello Forum, 

So I'm getting ready to start up a server for my church. Here's what I plan to do with it:

• Store files and media for the church, and the Kids Church team
  • Store and back up click track, music and video files for production and worship team
  • And run our kids check in system from it (once the server is set up my the company that manages my check in software will install check in host on it so long as its Windows)

I've googled the various versions of Windows server OS, but I'm not sure what's best for me and I don't wanna overspend on something I might not need.

I would go with 2016 standard. Just my personal Pref

And why can't you use regular windows 10 for this?

What server features do you need?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, torralva87 said:

Hello Forum, 

So I'm getting ready to start up a server for my church. Here's what I plan to do with it:

• Store files and media for the church, and the Kids Church team
  • Store and back up click track, music and video files for production and worship team
  • And run our kids check in system from it (once the server is set up my the company that manages my check in software will install check in host on it so long as its Windows)

I've googled the various versions of Windows server OS, but I'm not sure what's best for me and I don't wanna overspend on something I might not need.

Well it depends of the software you're using, I would just go with whatever you're more comfortable with and whatever most people use with the software you're using.

I don't know what media you're storing, but if it requires that you build a server more than $500 then you might consider Google drive, plus leaving everything running costs electricity.

And I'm sure you can build a simple check-in system with a Raspberry Pi tablet kit for less than $200, and for that price I'm sure a cheap laptop or Chromebook would be sufficient for just a check in.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

And why can't you use regular windows 10 for this?

What server features do you need?

Other than not having the system auto-update and shutting itself off every once in a while, I don't get it either.

OP just get some standard version of Windows. No need to blow ~500 dollars on a server license you won't use any functionality from.