Right to Repair bill killed in Canada after tech giants lobbied hard against it

Bouzoo
16 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Sealing up cars

Lifetime transmission oil is basically this. There is now way that the oil could survive longer then 5 years. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

16 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

What's next? Sealing up cars so I HAVE to go to the dealer to do a stupidly simple oil change? 

They already do that with auto transmissions.  I was changing the front breaks on my sister in laws daewoo, as I always slide the tyre under the car (extra protection if the stand fails) when I pulled it out to put back on there was transmission fluid on it.  I went to check the dipstick and lo and behold there was none.  I've encountered this on several cars now and I don't like it nor the response from the dealer: "We check it when you bring it in for a service", clearly they missed the leak at the last bloody service and only picked up because the backyard mechanic was a safety nut. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 5/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, Bouzoo said:

You think Right to Repair is garbage?

No, I think the laws that are trying to suppress the right to repair are garbage.

Time to show them "right to not buy".

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2 hours ago, ewitte said:

Time to show them "right to not buy".

It's hard not to buy since every big OEM is against it. It means basically buying nothing. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

55 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It's hard not to buy since every big OEM is against it. It means basically buying nothing. 

Fixing something is between you and your customer.  It does not matter what the OEM says or even the judge.  Its none of either of their business and BOTH can get in huge trouble.  Not 100% on Canadian procedures but "law" can not violate "law" in most places besides places ran by dictators.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Don't try to make sense of the ''argument'' giving in objection to introducing a right to repair law. It's a completely made up scapegoat. The decision to deny the law was made before this argument ever entered the picture. It was not created to sway opinion, it was created to conform to opinion.

Scenario 1:

New law is proposed -> arguments put forth -> decision reached, supported by arguments

Scenario 2: What has happened here

New law proposed -> decision reached -> arguments put forth, conforming to decision

The distinction is important. In both cases, the outcome of step 3 depends on step 2.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

While this "right to repair" bill failed in Ontario, which I think was entirely predictable due to the Ontario Conservatives holding 73 of the 124 seats in the Ontario legislature, I think that a "right to repair" bill wouldn't almost certainly pass in BC right now, with majority NDP and Green representation in the legislature, and with some Liberals members probably supporting a bill.

For people who live in BC, it could be a good idea to contact your MLA to ask them to pursue a "right to repair" legislation.

You can look up who your MLA is here: https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/members

And some general advice on contacting them is here: http://democracylawblog.com/resources/contact-your-mp-or-mla/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 5/5/2019 at 9:17 AM, Bouzoo said:

I find it amusing that google isn't on this list.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor