Switches failing? Cherry MX Brown

My G610 has an annoying problem now. The F key is not working properly anymore. Sometimes it won't register at all and I have to press it multiple times. This is especially annoying in games that use the F key for interaction and writing english, since words like for and of both have the letter. Sometimes it also outputs two letters at one press. My warranty expired years ago, should I try and replace the switch or try something else?

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

2 minutes ago, Underi said:

My G610 has an annoying problem now. The F key is not working properly anymore. Sometimes it won't register at all and I have to press it multiple times. This is especially annoying in games that use the F key for interaction and writing english, since words like for and of both have the letter. Sometimes it also outputs two letters at one press. My warranty expired years ago, should I try and replace the switch or try something else?

Try taking the switch out and examine the condition of the actuator. If it appears worn or damaged, just replace it with another brown switch. You can get a pack of 5 for $8 on amazon.

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Either way you will need a soldering iron.

That wont be a problem since I'm studying electronics.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Try to use alcohol first (one drop after you remove key) before you start more complicated work.

14 minutes ago, geo3 said:

It could either be a worn switch or broken solder joint. If it's the former replace the switch, if the latter just reflow the joint. Either way you will need a soldering iron.

The solder work seems fine, I guess I have to order new switches

My stuff:

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Underi said:

The solder work seems fine, I guess I have to order new switches

Money and time saving option: replace the broken switch with one from a key that you don't use, ex. Scroll Lock, Pause/Break, 2nd Win Key. 

16 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Money and time saving option: replace the broken switch with one from a key that you don't use, ex. Scroll Lock, Pause/Break, 2nd Win Key. 

I usually recommend this too, because a newer switch might feel different. It is known that Cherry MX Blue switches from one year to another might feel a bit different, by using a switch already present on your board you avoid this (I am sure this could hold true for Browns too).

Of course you could still consider getting a new switch, to replace the pause/break you took out of the board.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

57 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I usually recommend this too, because a newer switch might feel different. It is known that Cherry MX Blue switches from one year to another might feel a bit different, by using a switch already present on your board you avoid this (I am sure this could hold true for Browns too).

Of course you could still consider getting a new switch, to replace the pause/break you took out of the board.

Thanks for the advice. I already ordered a bunch of Cherry MX Browns from ebay, it said "original" on the title so I hope I'm getting good stuff. I'll try replacing the switch with an another one for the time being, since it'll take at least a month to arrive.

My stuff:

Spoiler

I now finally fixed my keyboard. I took the switch from Pause/Break and swapped it for the F switch. It was very straightforward and easy to do. I think that the pause/break also works now, although occasionally, and hopefully I won't be needing it anymore either. I'm getting a 5 pack of Cherry MX Browns so hopefully this keyboard will last me for a long while. I was also amazed by Logitech's build quality. There were no bad solders and the PCB was very nice. It even had the buttons and everything labeled, making my job a lot easier. And we're talking about a 60-70€ mechanical keyboard here.

My stuff:

Spoiler

I currently have 2 (home and work) Truly Ergonomic keyboards with mx browns, and over the 4 years time I replaced around 5 keys on each keyboard. As far as I remember, I tried to airblow, alcohol and reflow the joints, but it did not help, so I was doing the replacement every time after that. Those were like over 150€ each. I am getting ErgoDox EZ with brown mx switches next week and I do expect them to last.