What is your Favorite Anime/Manga?

Royalburgers

People actually keep track of what they watch? O.O

The most recent anime that I found jaw-droppingly good was Shinsekai Yori. I litteraly sat down and watched it non-stop. Another semi-recent one that was quite good was Rainbow.

I use MyAnimeList to keep track.

many animes from the 80's and 90's

A lot of animes these days centers around a character with low self steam

Pisses me off

There only like 10 good anime's after 2005

Yeah, it was better before when anime was like Evangelion, and didn't center around people with low self-esteem, oh wait. I think you sir need to remove those nostalgia goggles.

I can mention a ton of good anime after 2005. You probably just suck at finding them.

It kind of bothers me when people say "oh it was better before", because it is usually false. Wanna know why it seems like it was better before? Because all the mediocre and bad things gets forgotten, and only the rare gems gets remembered and talked about later.

Yeah, it was better before when anime was like Evangelion, and didn't center around people with low self-esteem, oh wait. I think you sir need to remove those nostalgia goggles.

I can mention a ton of good anime after 2005. You probably just suck at finding them.

It kind of bothers me when people say "oh it was better before", because it is usually false. Wanna know why it seems like it was better before? Because all the mediocre and bad things gets forgotten, and only the rare gems gets remembered and talked about later.

MAL takes too much work. Plus I dont remember the names of most the stuff that ive watched for the past 10+ years. I just keep a small list in my notebook for where um at in the current anime that im watching. When I have time I may convert this into a txt file which will be far easier and more convenient. More of what I was trying to get at was why you would want to keep track of everything that you have watched.

Anime features many down trodden characters, may that be low self-esteem or other complications because its an easy place to start because you can really only go up.

O and I completely agree with you on that last point there, you see it all the time no matter the topic but it seems to rear its head more often than not in context with anime.

Death note

Code geass

Mirai Nikki

Sora no otoshimono

Rosario+Vampire

Highschool DXD

Angel beats

Infinite stratos

K-ON

Strike witches

Guilty crown

Clannad

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/General_smith

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k @ 4.4ghz  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 GPU: GTX 660 Motherboard: MSI Z87M-Gaming RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4gb Black @1.6ghz Power supply: Corsair HX650 80 plus gold Storage: Adata 64GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350d

Death note

Code geass

Mirai Nikki

Sora no otoshimono

Rosario+Vampire

Highschool DXD

Angel beats

Infinite stratos

K-ON

Strike witches

Guilty crown

Clannad

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/General_smith

Seems you like a lot of Key animation. I personally think in the past years their quality has been going down.

you know how many that includes right?

more than a hand-full i know that. i didnt know i had to be that specific. i was just mentioning my favorite animes

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

more than a hand-full i know that. i didnt know i had to be that specific. i was just mentioning my favorite animes

You dont lol I was just making sure since the gundam franchise spans decades. Id still have to say that your favorites seem quite diverse. Im not saying that in a bad way at all, its just an observation. Its just that usually someones favorite anime are from the same genre or share the same traits.

You dont lol I was just making sure since the gundam franchise spans decades. Id still have to say that your favorites seem quite diverse. Im not saying that in a bad way at all, its just an observation. Its just that usually someones favorite anime are from the same genre or share the same traits.

Im not one to really search for anime's according to genre, to be honest I watch series that have been finished by friends or relatives and have been recommended to me. What I posted just happened to be my favorite/most often watched series. 

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

deguziiii, on 27 Jul 2013 - 6:48 PM, said:

Im not one to really search for anime's according to genre, to be honest I watch series that have been finished by friends or relatives and have been recommended to me. What I posted just happened to be my favorite/most often watched series.

As I said thats not a problem at all. I watch and can enjoy just about anime, that is excluding magical girl anime. Also I wasnt trying to say you should watch only the genre you like. Actually I think the opposite people really need to expand their horizons. What I was saying though is that even though someone can appreciate other genre's their favorites are usually still within the same genre or share many of the same traits.

Gundam 0079

Gundam Zeta

Gundam Wing

Gundam 00

Gundam Unicorn

SD Gundam

Samurai 7

Samurai X

Samurai Champloo

D. Grayman

Claymore

Ao no exorcist

Hajime no Ippo

Code Geass

Ghost in the Shell

Slam Dunk

Eyeshield 21

Initial D

Hellsing

Hellsing Ultimate

Doraemon

Trigun

Jormungand

Great Teacher Onizuka

Phantom of Requiem

Yakitate Japan

Cooking Master Boy

Rave Master

Hunter x Hunter

Baccano

Beck

Black Lagoon

Shaman King

Chrono Crusade

Darker Than Black

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Devil May Cry

Detective Conan

Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure

Lunar Legend

Medabots

Fate Stay Night

I smell an addiction

Interested in Business and Technology

I smell an addiction

I smell classics

I smell an addiction

hahaha, yeah 

I'm pretty much addicted to anime/manga

Durarara!!!

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

So far I've watched 

1.Trigun 

2.Neon Genesis Evangelion 

3.Cowboy Bebop

Also If you're looking for a fun, quick watch, GoldenBoy is funny as hell

CPU: Phenom II X4 965. GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X 7770. MoBo: AsRock 970 Extreme3. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600. PSU: Antec BP550. HDD: 1tb Seagate Case: RoseWill Challenger. CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2. Monitor: Some crap gateway 1650x1050.

Maybe only 10 dubbed ones but I can probably that many easy even when picking though just whats been released in the US much less stuff that never got brought over. 8 years is quite a long time which means quite a lot of anime.

makes sense 

the stuff i got are only dubbed

back in the day they used to dub EVERYTHING  lol

they used to say the UK dubs were better than the US dubs xD

now its only a select few

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

LAwLz, on 28 Jul 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

evangelion was one of the few

i didnt say they never existed

i said they are dominant now more than before

i have over 1 Tera of anime right now

id be happy if u give me some names

btw its funny when u said nostalgia goggles

i only got into anime is around 2004 i was 14

so ur argument doesn't really work

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

You should stop that. The only dub I've seen that I could stand was Haruhi, and that was because they did Kyon so well. Haruhi and the rest were horrible though.

1 Terabyte and you only watch dubbed? Is that even possible? Shows rarely gets dubbed these days (except a handful) and the old ones shouldn't take up that much space.

Are you asking me to to name good anime released after 2005?

Angel Beats!

Ano Hana

Bakemonogatari

Clannad (at least After Story)

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Hyouka

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

Madoka

Spice and Wolf

Seitokai no Ichizon (the first season)

Steins;Gate

The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (need to have seen the series first)

The girl who leapt through time

Welcome to the N.H.K

Just to mention a few. Only "Welcome to the N.H.K" features a protagonist with low self-esteem. Oh and for the love of God don't watch dubs. They are

the time. They sometimes change things for the dubbed release to appeal to a younger audience as well. A perfect examples of this is the Naruto and One Piece dub made by 4kids, but it's not like much of value was lost anyway with those shows.

You should stop that. The only dub I've seen that I could stand was Haruhi, and that was because they did Kyon so well. Haruhi and the rest were horrible though.

1 Terabyte and you only watch dubbed? Is that even possible? Shows rarely gets dubbed these days (except a handful) and the old ones shouldn't take up that much space.

Angel Beats!

Ano Hana

Bakemonogatari

Hyouka

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

Madoka

Spice and Wolf

Steins;Gate

Welcome to the N.H.K

Just to mention a few. Only "Welcome to the N.H.K" features a protagonist with low self-esteem. Oh and for the love of God don't watch dubs. They are

time. They sometimes change things for the dubbed release to appeal to a younger audience as well. A perfect examples of this is the Naruto and One Piece dub made by 4kids, but it's not like much of value was lost anyway with those shows.
yeah there arnt many dubbed these days maybe its the economy many of my things are old

i really dont care if the dubs are good or not

most of what ive seen are pretty good

i dont seem to notice either way

and about that list

ive seen some mentioned here

but i only watch action ,horror or scifi stuff so some of these i just dont bother with

ill check up of the other stuff mentioned

So far I've watched 

1.Trigun 

2.Neon Genesis Evangelion 

3.Cowboy Bebop

Also If you're looking for a fun, quick watch, GoldenBoy is funny as hell

Man when did you start watching? Because if it was recently I surprised you started with those not that their bad their actually very good. Its just that most people entering anime now days would never look back at a classic as their more than the thralled with their bleach, one piece, naruto, and fairy tale (one piece using rave masters characters). Im also surprised about NGE as that in my eyes is a hefty anime as a first timer.

makes sense 

back in the day they used to dub EVERYTHING  lol

they used to say the UK dubs were better than the US dubs xD

now its only a select few

Yes back in the profitable days of anime (at least in the US) all the big licensing companies subbed most of their titles. This is because that what they though it took to sell them. The problem is is that this is the reason dubs got a bad rap because as the perceived popularity of the anime went down so did the quality of dub, quite sharply in some cases. I think they have finally figured out something that work which is dub the mainstream stuff and huge blockbusters. As for everything else it just gets the sub treatment. Which in the end I thjink is better because it gives us better dubs (especially on the blockbusters) and lower prices on things that come sub only. I think funimation was probably the worst offender of this as they felt like they had to aim at mass market (and still do to some extent) instead of catering to the anime crowd even in the slightest way. This allowed other companies to step in and full fill that, the latest being NIS and man have they expanded since I first started buying their stuff.

Man I do remember when they had specific UK dubs, now I doubt they do anymore as it not cost effective and the UK is a even smaller market than the US and since most dubs that are not done by funimation are Canadian (and even some of theirs are) its kind of a moot point now days.

evangelion was one of the few

i didnt say they never existed

i said they are dominant now more than before

btw its funny when u said nostalgia goggles

i only got into anime is around 2004 i was 14

so ur argument doesn't really work

I wouldnt say few especially considering that the only stuff you watched is dubbed and I wouldnt surprised if youve only seen what was on TV, mainstream or considered classic at the time. I can probably find quite a few in my physical collection alone that predate the 2005-2007 switch which coincided with switching to nearly 100% CG and HD anime. The other thing that you might want to think about is that your probably aware of more anime now then you were then speaking on a what was released in a year basis. Now I would say that its more common in certain genre's now but thats because it is what defines those genre's in a way and besides that as I said before its and easy starting point for a story and with the demographic many of those stories are aimed it doesnt have to be anything really ground breaking.

What names of anime are you looking for as I can probably suggest quite a few good ones. As for having 1tb of anime thats not all that much unless you somehow only managed to get older SD anime. I currently have just under 3TB of encoded anime and thats after having 2 complete server failures in the past (that what I get for cobbling random parts together I guess). That doesnt include my physical collection or raw/source collection. I also really have to stress that a physical collection is something that everyone that is into anime should have as long as it available in their region. I say this because without buying official anime, manga, or their related collectibles you not supporting the industry outside of japan which is who you should be supporting if you want anime to grow in your respective region.

I think nostalgia goggles still applies to a great extent. All you have to do is look at the anime you even watched then and revere today. The other thing is that even though you may have started watching anime in 2004 the anime you were watching then was probably much older than that because when someone gets into anime they watch either mainstream anime which has taken is sweet time to cross the ocean or highly rearguard anime which in order to become highly regarded has to be in that respective community for some time. The other thing to remember is that the big change in anime started at the earliest 2005 and took until 2007 or later for all the studios to finally make the transition. Taking that into consideration you would have started watching in the later years of the anime boom in the US which created many of the classics especially ones that have good dubs.

One thing I just realized is that you have supposedly been watching anime for 9 years which is nearly a decade. Within that amount of time the feeling of nostalgia can easily be developed.

Angel Beats!

Ano Hana

Bakemonogatari

Hyouka

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

Madoka

Spice and Wolf

Steins;Gate

Welcome to the N.H.K

time. They sometimes change things for the dubbed release to appeal to a younger audience as well. A perfect examples of this is the Naruto and One Piece dub made by 4kids, but it's not like much of value was lost anyway with those shows.

There is a quite a good amount of good dubs many of them are older prior to the crash of the US anime industry. The ones that i recently found quite good were ones on Funimations big movies like Summer Wars and Evangelion. The Summer Wars one specifically moved me more than the sub and felt completely natural.

Yes it quite possible to have that much anime that was dubbed quite easily especially if your taking pre 2005-2007 anime. Dubbing is once again ramping up especially funimation as more people are slowly getting drawn in. The reason why less things get dubbed now days is that the US industry is in no way what is once was and each title sells 1/5th or in some cases 1/10th of what it would have so they have to release more titles. I see this as good and bad as we get more anime but less attention is put on each one and many are treated as budget anime from initial release.

As for the anime you though all of them were technically release after 2005 many of them still are in the older style of animation this is due to how long it takes to produce them. Also complete transition of all the studios was still happening in 2007 this was dude to stufios waiting for HD production to become main stream so they wouldnt have to switch to full digital then upgrade like a few of the studios, some of them being bigger ones, had to do. The ones on your list that I would say fall into this category would be Clannad, Haruhi, and Welcome to the NHK without having to look anything up. I would also have to say that your idea of good anime is vastly different in most cases than mine as maybe 1/3 of that list would I put in my good category.

Welcome to the NHK kinda has to have a "protagonist with low self-esteem" because its a story about and a stereotypical Hikikomori NEET. And I dont know what you have against dubs. I think they have gotten an unnecessary bad rap yes there are some bad ones and there are some really bad ones but there are some quite good ones as well. Also have you ever watched any anime that have a bad japanese voice acting because I sure have. Also when ever anime is brought to a different country or region it always in some way localized whether it is a sub or dub. Additionally your examples of Naruto and One Piece dont really make sense as in japan they are aimed at a younger demographic as well even younger than what they were initially aimed at when the premiered on cartoon network (I believe late into toonami's life).

yeah there arnt many dubbed these days maybe its the economy many of my things are old

i really dont care if the dubs are good or not

most of what ive seen are pretty good

i dont seem to notice either way

and about that list

ive seen some mentioned here

but i only watch action ,horror or scifi stuff so some of these i just dont bother with

ill check up of the other stuff mentioned

Action is a quite popular genre so you should have many choices but since its popular only a small percentage would be anything of good to great quality. As for horror there are a few releases a year of true horror but its still quite rare as the demographic for it is quite small so when they do make one they have to make it decent. SciFi is another story as there is tons of stuff that fits that but not in the same way it used to as genre isnt very popular in japan surprisingly but does very good in the US.

I can probably recommend some good anime if you list some that you hold of high regard personally.

Proph now apologizes for the wall of text.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Anime?

Am I the only one who doesn't like Anime?

Yes you are the only one. lol I kid, I kid. No your not but what dont you like about it? And since you dont like it what made you venture into this thread? I mean it surely wasnt just to say that.

As for the anime you though all of them were technically release after 2005 many of them still are in the older style of animation this is due to how long it takes to produce them. Also complete transition of all the studios was still happening in 2007 this was dude to stufios waiting for HD production to become main stream so they wouldnt have to switch to full digital then upgrade like a few of the studios, some of them being bigger ones, had to do. The ones on your list that I would say fall into this category would be Clannad, Haruhi, and Welcome to the NHK without having to look anything up. I would also have to say that your idea of good anime is vastly different in most cases than mine as maybe 1/3 of that list would I put in my good category.

I wasn't talking about the animation style, and neither was the person I replied to. He was complaining that there have only been about 10 good anime after 2005, and that the new ones only center around people with low self-esteem.

Which ones on that list do you think are good?

Welcome to the NHK kinda has to have a "protagonist with low self-esteem" because its a story about and a stereotypical Hikikomori NEET. And I dont know what you have against dubs. I think they have gotten an unnecessary bad rap yes there are some bad ones and there are some really bad ones but there are some quite good ones as well. Also have you ever watched any anime that have a bad japanese voice acting because I sure have. Also when ever anime is brought to a different country or region it always in some way localized whether it is a sub or dub. Additionally your examples of Naruto and One Piece dont really make sense as in japan they are aimed at a younger demographic as well even younger than what they were initially aimed at when the premiered on cartoon network (I believe late into toonami's life).

Not sure why you're telling me this, because it is obvious to anyone who have seen Welcome to the N.H.K knows. I was just pointing out that Welcome to the N.H.K is the only one which has a protagonist with low self-esteem out of the after-2005 anime I listed.

What I have against dubs? Most of them sounds absolutely horrible compared to the original. Just look at some of the examples I linked. The voices barely fits the characters half the time. It completely ruins the

Not sure why you're bringing up localization but I never mentioned anything about it, and I don't really mind it that much in subs.

It seems like you haven't seen what 4kids did with for example One Piece. Replace cigarets with lolipops, replace guns with funny looking hammers, remove any blood or wounds, and the list goes on. It made a show already aimed at kids even more kids friendly. Personally, I think both Naruto and One Piece are pretty bad and extremely overrated (but then again, it's not aimed at me so I guess it's understandable I don't like it) so it's not like much harm was done, but it's still bad of them to try to change the show to appeal to a different audience.

I guess it depends on what you are used to. I can't stand the original Japanese version of Pokemon because I grew up with the dub, but for any show I watched with the original Japanese audio first, I always find the dub to be much worse (except Haruhi where they made Kyon better than the original, but everyone else much worse).

Yes you are the only one. lol I kid, I kid. No your not but what dont you like about it? And since you dont like it what made you venture into this thread? I mean it surely wasnt just to say that.

I can't pin one thing to not liking it. I've tried watching it before and I guess it just wasn't my thing. Oh, and my favourite anime would have to be a parody of The Last Airbender, since that is one of the few I watched.

AKIRA, Ghost in the shell.

Anybody got any recomendations of what i should watch next? Ive heard Cowboy Bebop is rather good along with FMA, am i right?

I wasn't talking about the animation style, and neither was the person I replied to. He was complaining that there have only been about 10 good anime after 2005, and that the new ones only center around people with low self-esteem.

Which ones on that list do you think are good?

Not sure why you're telling me this, because it is obvious to anyone who have seen Welcome to the N.H.K knows. I was just pointing out that Welcome to the N.H.K is the only one which has a protagonist with low self-esteem out of the after-2005 anime I listed.

What I have against dubs? Most of them sounds absolutely horrible compared to the original. Just look at some of the examples I linked. The voices barely fits the characters half the time. It completely ruins the

Not sure why you're bringing up localization but I never mentioned anything about it, and I don't really mind it that much in subs.

It seems like you haven't seen what 4kids did with for example One Piece. Replace cigarets with lolipops, replace guns with funny looking hammers, remove any blood or wounds, and the list goes on. It made a show already aimed at kids even more kids friendly. Personally, I think both Naruto and One Piece are pretty bad and extremely overrated (but then again, it's not aimed at me so I guess it's understandable I don't like it) so it's not like much harm was done, but it's still bad of them to try to change the show to appeal to a different audience.

I guess it depends on what you are used to. I can't stand the original Japanese version of Pokemon because I grew up with the dub, but for any show I watched with the original Japanese audio first, I always find the dub to be much worse (except Haruhi where they made Kyon better than the original, but everyone else much worse).

my bad replace animation and anime there and youll basically get what i was trying to say there. Though that doesnt matter too much as with the general shift in anime as a whole the animation changed with if for the most part. As for the anime I thought was good out of your list that would have to be Ano Hana, Clannad, Hyouka, Spice and Wolf, The girl who leapt through time, and Welcome to the N.H.K.

What I was trying to say is that NHK doesnt count because without that there wouldnt be a story. This unlike many today where it really isnt needed and a lot of times feels like they possibly added that in later to try to give a character more depth or be more appealing or something.

I would have to disagree there are many dubs that are quite faithful. Also if you basing whether a voice fits the character or not based on the original audio, thats the incorrect thing to do. You need to judge whether or not it fits the role, as many actors can play one role. This doesnt mean im saying all dubs are good, far from it. Out of the ones you listed though Spice and Wolf, The girl who leapt through time, and Welcome to the N.H.K have decent dubs but i wouldnt say great. Many of the ones you listed I dont even know if there are dubs available for. One anime you did list that in my opinion has a horrible dub would be Clannad as I feel is changes the whole mood of the anime in a negative way.

They didnt change those shows to fit an audience they changed them to fit out society's view of what a kid should watch at that age which has everything to do with localization.

What you watched first does have a great impact on what you prefer. For me to watch classics like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop subbed just feels weird as I have seen them so many times dubbed and in the case of FLCL its actually better dubbed. It doesnt help that FLCL was not where near the cult hit it was in the US in japan.