What shift button do you use when typing?

Keyboard shift preference  

39 members have voted

1. 1. I type capital letter using..

• Left shift
    • Right shift
    • Caps lock (you deviant..)
    • Other..
  2. 2. Special characters, I type with..

• Left shift
    • Right shift
    • Other..
  3. 3. When I use shortcuts with shift in it, I use..

• Left shift
    • Right shift
    • Other..

Why I made this post, which kind of shows my bias:

Spoiler

I had a discussion with someone after seeing them type a colon using the right-hand shift, that seemed really odd to me, but this person kept on screaming "there are dozens of us!" saying it wasn't that uncommon.

So I thought I would make a poll to see how people, here, type their capitals, special characters, etc.

This is assuming a 'normal' keyboard, so of course this doesn't apply to how you type on your phone.

If you do anything that doesn't fall into the poll, please do comment.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The only time I use the right shift, is when I feel lazy and type just with my right hand. Other than that, I always just use the left shift. My split 60% probably won't even have a right shift.

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

The right shift key is probably the least used key across all my keyboards, I don't ever use it for anything ever

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Standard US layout, I use left shift as I use my thumb for it.

Wait Wat? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

17 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Why I made this post, which kind of shows my bias:

Reveal hidden contents

I had a discussion with someone after seeing them type a colon using the right-hand shift, that seemed really odd to me, but this person kept on screaming "there are dozens of us!" saying it wasn't that uncommon.

This is assuming a 'normal' keyboard, so of course this doesn't apply to how you type on your phone.

ISO layout (i.e European Layout) the @ symbol is located just short of the "Return" key. It is therefore very common for people with ISO layout to use right shift

I actually use both. I'm Ambishiftrous

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

I've never used the right shift key for actual typing in my life. Its easier for me to press L Shift+Z than it is R shift + Z because it's muscle memory. 

My L thumb does only one thing when I type: press command

my R thumb does only one thing when I type: press space

my R pinky pressed return

my L pinky presses L shift/fn/control/option/caps lock/tab/esc

my R ring finger presses Delete and also  types normally

The rest of my fingers type normally. Though I do prefer to use my index fingers for keys like < > / 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Findiculous said:

ISO layout (i.e European Layout) the @ symbol is located just short of the "Return" key. It is therefore very common for people with ISO layout to use right shift

If memory serves the ISO layout is the original layout.

As someone who has used the ISO layout for the greater part of my life (only switching to ANSI about 3 years ago), I had previously never used the right shift (maybe once for something random maybe..)

4 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I use my thumb to press shift... and caps lock, as a matter of fact.

Do you type like this, or do you shift your entire left hand to the left, so have you thumb pressed shift?

hqdefault.jpg

:P That hand question is not serious.. The way you press shift is.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

As someone who has used the ISO layout for the greater part of my life (only switching to ANSI about 3 years ago), I had previously never used the right shift (maybe once for something random maybe..)

I said very common. Not every ISO user uses right shift only. ISO layout also has a smaller left shift with the space used for backslash.

Point was to mention to the OP that saying a "normal" keyboard is very subjective since there are 3 common layouts. ISO, ANSI and JIS 

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk

5th Hard Disk
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Do you type like this, or do you shift your entire left hand to the left, so have you thumb pressed shift?

hqdefault.jpg

:P That hand question is not serious.. The way you press shift is.

image0.jpg

This is basically how I press Shift and Caps Lock. It's a habit I picked up from Team Fortress 2 as I used my pinky to press Tab for the scoreboard and the other three fingers to control WASD.

Also yes, I use my thumb to press Ctrl.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I grew up on the modern standard of QWERTY keyboards (first one was an IBM M model with an IBM Aptiva desktop)

I use Left shift all the way. It’s an extremely rare occasion for me to use the right shift. Same story with the space bar, always use left thumb for that.

I’m sort of a right hand dominant ambidextrous (my parents encouraged me to be right handed) but my typing has always been led by my left hand. Convenient for me because I can type left handed and use the mouse with my right hand.

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

I only use Left shift when gaming or if i'm one handed (which I am in gaming), otherwise I always prefer to use right shift

now that I thought about it, I think they're both used about equally I guess, when you consider all the different scenarios, but for typing sentences and stuff, Right shift is 100% used.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

*looks down at keyboard and notices there is a right shift*

huh

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

And we have another bad, biased survey. At least "other" was an option, which I used because I use both shift keys (whichever one is most convenient at the time) and, occasionally, the caps lock key (and no, I'm not a deviant; just practical).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

well i use my pinky every time i press left shift... i feel they are really destined for each other ❤️

6 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

And we have another bad, biased survey. At least "other" was an option, which I used because I use both shift keys (whichever one is most convenient at the time) and, occasionally, the caps lock key (and no, I'm not a deviant; just practical).

Sorry my simple 'just for fun' survey (which holds no scientific value or significance) wasn't to your liking ☹️

I added 'other' as an option, since I knew most people would just have either or key used and all people with a different preference would choose 'other' (seeing as 'only' 10% chose 'other', I think I covered most options).

In a survey like this, you woud suggest having more options, other than the 2/3 provided (and other)? I felt like that wasn't a great idea, because it would inflate the amount of time you had to spend on this survey and I just wanted some simple answers to gauge the community's opinion.

I use 2 keyboards to type at home, so I use whichever shift key is on the keyboard that I type the special character/capital letter/shortcut. Or caps-lock if I'm ranting on Discord or anything involving excessive use of caps.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh