RTX 2060 vs Vega 64

Hello everyone

I am looking into buying a new graphics card, and I decided upon the RTX 2060, but seeing the recent drops in prices for the Vega cards, I was interested in a Vega 64.

Problem is, I like the NVidia software and stuff, so I don't know if I would want to use the AMD software. Also, I use an Intel 9900K, so I don't know if performance will be different.

Anyways, the Vega 64 is about $60 cheaper, so should I get that instead?

Thanks,

Shinion

Can I ask what model is it?  Maybe just a link between those 2

I have a VEGA 64 liquid and RTX 2060 from Gigabyte ... I can tell you that Vega is a little bit faster, but not by mutch 

I presume on the long term RTX 2060 will be a better choice

Vega 64 is a good bit better than a 2060, as long as you can power it. What's the make and model of your PSU?

Also, what software do you like most from Nvidia? AMD offers many similar features.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

I presume on the long term RTX 2060 will be a better choice

not really. it has less Vram to play with. 6GB isnt a whole lot in 2019

Vega is a good bit better than the 2060. if its the Nitro+ it is similar to RTX 2070

1 hour ago, Oalei said:

Can I ask what model is it?

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

What's the make and model of your PSU?

Also, what software do you like most from Nvidia?

They are both the ROG Strix OC editions

Vega 64

RTX 2060

They are in Euro, but you can always google it into USD if you will.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Vega is a good bit better than the 2060. if its the Nitro+ it is similar to RTX 2070

I can get the Nitro+ for around $20 more

5 minutes ago, Shiniontv said:

I can get the Nitro+ for around $20 more

nitro+ is probably the best version of the Vega 64. so if you have the option for 20$, id pick that any day

37 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

nitro+ is probably the best version of the Vega 64. so if you have the option for 20$, id pick that any day

Its around €400, where the ASUS one costs €380 and the RTX 2060 costs €430

Just now, Shiniontv said:

Its around €400, where the ASUS one costs €380 and the RTX 2060 costs €430

Nitro+ over any of those

and read-watch about undervolting. Temperatures-fan noise and power consumption will be kept in check via some tweaking-finetuning

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

23 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Nitro+ over any of those

I am also worried about some games being better optimised for NVidia cards :/

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Not probably, it is. Other than the Liquid variants it can't be beat, both the STRIX and top tier XFX ones lost out to it:

It seems to have the best combo of clocks/fan speed/temps in most scenarios. This is the normal Nitro+ btw, not the monster Nitro+ Limited Edition that's incredibly hard to find. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Vega 64 is a good bit better than a 2060, as long as you can power it. What's the make and model of your PSU?

Also, what software do you like most from Nvidia? AMD offers many similar features.

I like the ShadowPlay and I can get a Corsair 650w 80+ gold i believe

Just now, Shiniontv said:

I like the ShadowPlay and I can get a Corsair 650w 80+ gold i believe

AMD has ReLive to record gameplay

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

AMD has ReLive to record gameplay

Is it as good as ShadowPlay or better? And does it have the instant replay feature aswell?

1 minute ago, Shiniontv said:

Is it as good as ShadowPlay or better? And does it have the instant replay feature aswell?

Worth looking into the usability features yourself, I don't have that much personal experience but I know some people actually like it at least.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Shiniontv said:

And yes it's just as good as shadowplay really. Not much difference.

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Nope .. this is not 100 % correct.

1. RTX 2060 can beat Vega 64 in a multitude of games 

2. Vega64 can beat RTX 2060 in a multitude of games 

from 1 and 2 conclusion is - what games you want to play, and is the + or - 6 % difference matters ? (probably not) 

Cards are more or less on-parr in terms of performance -> https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-64.c2871

3. best implementation of Vega 64 is not Nitro+ is the Liquid Cooling one (best bios and best performance out of box) 

4. In theory RTX2060 ca be overclocked higher then Vega 64 (depends on what you get) 

5. RTX206 has better technology just because is newer also is more efficient. 

6. Nvidia drivers are updated more often 

7. AMD drivers are updated for longer time

Even Vega 64 has more ram 8 GB vs 6 GB the limitation of high resolution is very taxing so you will not be able to enjoy anyway. 

The RTX 2060 is cheaper, so you will be able to buy a better implementation of RTX 2060 (better cooling / better specs) 

Review from Steve (Hardware Unboxed) with gaming results.

Vega seems to get a lot more flack than it deserves...

All Vega models (56, 64 and Radeon VII) have the same, easily fixable issue. They are way overvolted for their stock clocks. You can safely undervolt Vega from stock and still have plenty of overclocking headroom.

Vega 64 > RTX 2060.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

21 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

The RTX 2060 is cheaper, so you will be able to buy a better implementation of RTX 2060 (better cooling / better specs

Read the thread. In his case the Vega 64 is cheaper and its also faster.

22 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

Nvidia drivers are updated more often

You also get the 2008 era control panel from Nvidia. AMD drivers are uodated often enough. Not like you update you drivers everytime. 

23 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

3. best implementation of Vega 64 is not Nitro+ is the Liquid Cooling one (best bios and best performance out of box

That soecific version is known as Vega liquid and not Vega 64. The Nitro+ is the best Vega 64 inolementation.

24 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

1. RTX 2060 can beat Vega 64 in a multitude of games 

2. Vega64 can beat RTX 2060 in a multitude of games 

Looking away from sponsored titles the Vega 64 is a good bit better than the RTX 2060. 

Everything is on a game to game basis, but you need to use averages to paint a easy picture to read. 

26 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

5. RTX2060 has better technology just because is newer also is more efficient

The only thing the 2060 has is raytracing which is mediocre. And people dont care about efficiency, they care about performance. 

30 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

Cards are more or less on-parr in terms of performance -> https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-64.c2871

Um....... What? It puts the Radeon 7 in 2070 territory? I thought bashing userbenchmark was bad, but at least its a tad more accurate than this.

4 hours ago, Shiniontv said:

I am also worried about some games being better optimised for NVidia cards :/

Both AMD and Nvidia cards play nicely in the same type of title. I dont think you need to worry much.

@GoldenLag not sure if you are reading the part with me having both Vega 64 LC (which is a vega 64 card -  regardless of your oppinoin) and RTX 2060 so I am not a "review reader" I can draw my own conclusions, but if you would like to do some extra testing let me know :P

Just because Shiniontv found a site where RTX2060 is overpriced doesn't mean the price difference exists. (ex on amazon.de a better implementation with 3 fans 391 EU, compared with 428 EU from link) I didn't study the "german" market but for sure you can find better deals :)

But not to "blame" the deal,  and to be completely honest 383 EU is a good price for Asus Vega 64 and if Asus is reliable model then is a go. 

@Shiniontv - if you decide to go for RTX 2060 there are cheaper everywhere else, the price in your link is "deceiving" for the audience, as those prices are not "set in stone" :D 

35 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

And people dont care about efficiency, they care about performance. 

Last i checked, i was still in the collection named "people"; and efficiency relates to heat and heat relates to noise and theres also power consumption. Therefore (running a silent pc) i care about efficiency.

41 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

raytracing which is mediocre

Next time link to the ISO standard for gpu function ratings? im curious what the other ranks/features are listed?