what is latency and input lag ?

sohail14

69 is a good number but I've always been partial to 420....

Honestly this question makes no sense, we need context.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I guess generally, it'd be the lower the better, but it might also depend on what you're referring to exactly...?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

2 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

I guess generally, it'd be the lower the better, but it might also depend on what you're referring to exactly...?

for gaming like battlefield , assasin 

Latency and input lag are both a delay from which an action is made for example pressing a key on your keyboard until something happens on your monitor

Latency is a time interval between the stimulation and response, or, from a more general point of view, a time delay between the cause and the effect of some physical change in the system being observed. Latency is physically a consequence of the limited velocity with which any physical interaction can propagate. Sauce: Wikipedia 

While Input-lag is the delay between your action and the response of your monitor in displaying your action.

Most monitor has low input lag it doesnt matter anymore but TV has higher input lag and not all of them are equal..some are bad some are good.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

9 minutes ago, KingBlue72 said:

Latency and input lag are both a delay from which an action is made for example pressing a key on your keyboard until something happens on your monitor

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Latency is a time interval between the stimulation and response, or, from a more general point of view, a time delay between the cause and the effect of some physical change in the system being observed. Latency is physically a consequence of the limited velocity with which any physical interaction can propagate. Sauce: Wikipedia 

While Input-lag is the delay between your action and the response of your monitor in displaying your action.

Most monitor has low input lag it doesnt matter anymore but TV has higher input lag and not all of them are equal..some are bad some are good.

audio delay is that latency ?

2 minutes ago, sohail14 said:

Yes..technically...seriously your question confuse me...or us

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

33 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Yes..technically...seriously your question confuse me...or us

9 minutes ago, KeyzHostHD said:

10 ms might be just barely noticeable. On a typical laptop with a refresh rate of 60 Hz, each frame is on the screen for about 16-17 ms, so (all else being equal) a 10 ms delay means a roughly 66% chance of making the image show up one frame later.

However, a 1-frame delay (which is the maximum delay possible as a result of this) would in all likelihood not be noticed by most users. It would be very noticeable for animation, but not very noticeable in terms of when the static image appears.

increase internet speed will decrease latency ??

Just now, KeyzHostHD said:

yes in multiplayer games

what about cloud stream gaming 

There's alot of latencies in place actually, so specifying which latency you're talking about would be helpful, if you're talking about Roundtrip Latency which includes aaaall the kind of latencies ranging from Network Ping, Input Latency, CPU Latency(insignificant mostly), Frame-Time Latency (FPS), Game engine Latency, Monitor Latency, whatever else is there Latency..

Latency now sounds so wrong after i said it so many god damn times

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

2 hours ago, sohail14 said:

i guess you could caqll it that

"Latency" is a generic term meaning a delay of an output after receiving some input or the "reaction time" of the system, including "input lag". So you have to provide context as to what part of the system you're talking about.

Otherwise if no context is given, typically network latency is assumed.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

12 hours ago, sohail14 said:

audio delay is a type of latency, yes.

but when people talk about latency, they generally mean what the delay in their connection to the online server is in miliseconds (ping).

input lag (display lag) is the delay between your GPU sending a frame to your monitor and the monitor actually displaying that frame.

What is super interesting is when a system receives packets out of order for online games. 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz