Which CPU?

So I was wondering...  Back in the day, the rift between AMD and Intel users was pretty big and 'loyalty' to one brand or the other was pretty common.  I myself have always used AMD, but more just because it fits my budget and I never felt the increased performance for chips within my price range was high enough to warrant the extra cash.

Is the rift still there and do people feel a pull to buy a certain brand purely 'because' it's Intel or AMD?

I kinda get the feeling that the FX series started a trend of making AMD more known, but Ryzen seems to really be hitting Intel hard, so where do you folks stand on it?

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

Whoever buys something because of "loyalty" is stupid.

Anyhow, it's less of what it used to be. Each company has a very defined share of the product stack. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

We still have fanboys around, that will blindly support one brand over another, but nowadays the difference is more nuanced and thus the best choice will depend on your usage.

I can't even broadly say "you choose Intel for gaming, AMD for video editing" or something like that, because you might need a certain sort of technology; or in your price bracket one might be a better option over another.

I love the competition there is and I think I would fall more on the "AMD fan"-side of the spectrum; but I try to keep it as objective as possible.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Gareque said:

Is the rift still there and do people feel a pull to buy a certain brand purely 'because' it's Intel or AMD?

Some people definitely do. In fact, most people are more likely to buy an Intel based system purely because they've heard of the brand more often and in more positive terms.

I personally don't care who makes the CPU, though all things being the same I'd rather buy from the underdog.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Gareque said:

I kinda get the feeling that the FX series started a trend of making AMD more known, but Ryzen seems to really be hitting Intel hard, so where do you folks stand on it?

FX didn't make AMD more known, not in a good way anyway. It wasn't competitive in the slightest and board manufacturers responded to that by making inferior quality boards, excluding the top end 990FX boards. The poor board quality showed in how many FX8xxx chips caused heavy throttling or burning of boards.

I think AMD was best known through their performance leadership during the Athlon and Athlon 64 days (~'99-2006) and when they became the bang for the buck kings in the Phenom II era (2008-2011). The period 2011-2016 was basically rock bottom.

Now that AMD is competitive again, I jumped on the bandwagon in 2017 with the R7 1700, and upgraded to the 2700X when it came out. Lovely stuff.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I've been an Intel shareholder for about 20 years and this dictates my choice of CPUs.?

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

FX didn't make AMD more known, not in a good way anyway. It wasn't competitive in the slightest and board manufacturers responded to that by making inferior quality boards, excluding the top end 990FX boards. The poor board quality showed in how many FX8xxx chips caused heavy throttling or burning of boards.

Huh, I never realised that...

I went from a Phenom II x4 to an FX-8350 (granted I had a Sabertooth 990FX board, so it was one of the top end boards available as you mentioned) and the improvement was insane.  I knew a fair few people who also went with the 8350 and still swear by it to this day.  I just figured that was the standard.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

ive got a small stake in AMD for fun. so im not impartial

BUT

dont ever be loyal to a brand. its just bad for everyone including yourself. you may buy a brand because you dont like x or y brand doing z. and there are people who solely base their purshasing decision on this, because they vote with their wallet. 

but id also not judge a company based on past experiences IF their new experiences the company offers are really good. 

in the end i suggest products based on best value regardless of what i do myself

I’ve used and trusted intel, I feel comfortable with their range and products.

I couldn’t tell you the best AMD chip from the worst, that’s how little I know.

But I would probably say AMD is the right way to go for a solid budget build. 

Intel has has advantages for those who want to pay for them but it’s not value for money for everyone, if you know why you want it then go Intel, otherwise why not AMD?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I went from a Athlon II X4 to a i7 2600 back then, the 2600 was priced lower than the FX 8150 when it first went gold and AMD truly screwed up.

But now i have a Ryzen 1400 which i am very happy with for now.

3 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

I’ve used and trusted intel, I feel comfortable with their range and products.

I couldn’t tell you the best AMD chip from the worst, that’s how little I know.

But I would probably say AMD is the right way to go for a solid budget build. 

Intel has has advantages for those who want to pay for them but it’s not value for money for everyone, if you know why you want it then go Intel, otherwise why not AMD?

I think for very specific use cases intel is still viable, Ryzen is not fast enough to push the highest end GPU's at high refresh rates, IPC is still behind and until Ryzen 3000 arrives they do not OC that well either.

3 minutes ago, TeaDrinkingMaximus said:

Ryzen 3000 arrives they do not OC that well either.

i mean. on the bright side. we get the most of the product out of the box......... wish we could OC a bit more tho. the non-x parts do OC well considering you can OC them to an X skew. other thatn that its "meh"

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean. on the bright side. we get the most of the product out of the box......... wish we could OC a bit more tho. the non-x parts do OC well considering you can OC them to an X skew. other thatn that its "meh"

Can't say I've ever really bothered with OC's other than tinkering in my early days.  Just never really seen the need for it.

Realistically speaking, what kind of performance increases can you expect from say, a stock CPU and a reasonably stable OC'd one?

7 minutes ago, TeaDrinkingMaximus said:

I think for very specific use cases intel is still viable, Ryzen is not fast enough to push the highest end GPU's at high refresh rates, IPC is still behind and until Ryzen 3000 arrives they do not OC that well either.

The IPC thing is absolute BS. Intel doesn't have better IPC, they just have higher clocks. At same clocks, their IPC is pretty much the same. AMD gives you more cores in general and they are clocked high enough to not really be a problem.

2 minutes ago, Gareque said:

Realistically speaking, what kind of performance increases can you expect from say, a stock CPU and a reasonably stable OC'd one?

between the 2600 at stock and a reasonable 4,1ghz overclock id say you get about 5-7% iirc. i dont have the figures on hand sadly. 

31 minutes ago, Alan G said:

I've been an Intel shareholder for about 20 years and this dictates my choice of CPUs.?

Been a shareholder of Boeing for 9.5 yrs - I prefer flying in airbus.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

40 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Whoever buys something because of "loyalty" is stupid.

Anyhow, it's less of what it used to be. Each company has a very defined share of the product stack. 

Yes, loyalty is dying slowly generation over generation.  It's not necessarily stupid though.

It goes both ways, and I wish it was more intact to be honest.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, jstudrawa said:

Yes, loyalty is dying slowly generation over generation.  It's not necessarily stupid though.

it is tho.........

you can vote with your wallet, but being loyal is dumb for you yourself, others and the industry.

while people can refuse to buy x because y did z. but to be loyal is not the way to go

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

it is tho.........

you can vote with your wallet, but being loyal is dumb for you yourself, others and the industry.

while people can refuse to buy x because y did z. but to be loyal is not the way to go

Blind loyalty is dumb, yes.  But maintaining a level of loyalty is a good thing, when it's honored by both sides.

Within reason, I'll go with a brand I know and like.  It's hugely impactful on the car market, for example.  

I'm not saying be loyal while the ship sinks, of course.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Hehehe...

I'm not particularly a fan of either, but I've been building Intel computers just because of the programs I use. (Adobe AE and a bunch of 3D programs) I will be making an AMD build soon, it was so inexpensive compared to other Intel builds I've made in the past.

On the other side of things, I think Android vs Apple is still strong ?

"Perfection is not the end, it's the beginning." 

[First Build] [About Me]

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

Blind loyalty is dumb, yes.  But maintaining a level of loyalty is a good thing, when it's honored by both sides.

Within reason, I'll go with a brand I know and like.  It's hugely impactful on the car market, for example.  

I'm not saying be loyal while the ship sinks, of course.

I think I get where you're coming from.  But realistically, imo at least, loyalty should come from 2 very similar performing and similar priced items.  Then you choose the one you prefer because of it.

The problem is when you have people spending £150-200 more on a processor that doesn't do much better 'because'.  I believe that's where the line becomes more in the stupid remit.

1 minute ago, Mr.Muffins said:

Hehehe...

I actually not a fan of one, but I've been building Intel computers just because of the programs I use. (Adobe AE and a bunch of 3D programs)

On the other side of things, I think Android vs Apple is still strong ?

Yeah...  I fall very much into the anti-Apple group there lol.

personally Ive never understood brand loyalty and completely dismissing the other options, you only do yourself a disservice by completely disregarding viable or even better options. I've owned both amd and intel, both amd and nvidia. Really its best to buy the best value that fits in your budget regardless of manufacturer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

21 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I won’t buy anything made by EA after 2008...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz