should i switch to linux?

2 minutes ago, The Forester said:

should i do it or no?

If you have to ask, then no.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

If you have to ask, then no.

why not

Just now, The Forester said:

why not

Because you should switch only when you know what you're getting, kinks and issues included, and you think it's a good idea for you. Play around with Linux in a VM or install dual-boot system or whatever, if you like, but just jumping in blind tends to cause nothing other than misery.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Because you should switch only when you know what you're getting, kinks and issues included, and you think it's a good idea for you. Play around with Linux in a VM or install dual-boot system or whatever, if you like, but just jumping in blind tends to cause nothing other than misery.

is linux that difficult to learn?

is linux that difficult to learn?

Depends on you. Some people find it easy, some people don't.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Depends on you. Some people find it easy, some people don't.

what you think i should do?

To quote myself:

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Play around with Linux in a VM or install dual-boot system or whatever, if you like, but just jumping in blind tends to cause nothing other than misery.

Once you've played around with it, you'll know better.

You can’t just ask “should I switch to linux or not?”. It’s really up to you. You’re the best person to answer your own questions. It depends on your usage. But note that Linux is not as easy as it may look, especially if you’re used to Windows. There’s a learning curve and will most probably require you to run commands in the terminal to install certain software, as it’s not always as straightforward, as well as research. If you’re that keen, I would do like @WereCatf and play around with it using a VM, or even installing it alongside Windows. There’s also a ton of books on different Linux distributions.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Install Linux, like Mint or Ubuntu, in a virtual machine first
Play around it with, try installing stuff you'd normally use and what not. (Obviously games won't run that well in a VM due to its limitations)
Get familiar with how Linux works in the virtual machine and if YOU think it might be fun to switch to Linux for a while, do it. But I highly recommend doing a full disk backup beforehand, just so you can restore Windows when/if you're sick of it.
You'll usually get a good idea if you like it or not within a few hours to a few days.

We can't tell you what you should and shouldn't do. Do it only if you want to. You're the one who will be using it after all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If you do play around in Linux based OS, I suggest a VM that support checkpoints like Virtual Box. Linux based OS isn't like Windows If you do a bad thing, there is no "undo", in the sense that there is no system restore, or system repair like you have in Windows. What is done is done. You'll have to wipe and clean install everything if you don't have a way to restore. Also, don't assume updates are safe. System updates might no play nice on your system or VM environment, and will not be able to boot. So make a restore point before doing updates.

Keep in mind that not all Linux distro are the same. They may use different repositories, some, like Arch Linux, comes completely vanilla, meaning you don't even have network manager to connect to anything online. You have to do work to get that. Some distro are better supported then other. If you use a disro that isnt' supported by a program, your best bet is to see if it open source, get it, compile it yourself, install all library decencies, code modification might be required, to get it up and running in your distro. Personally, I recommend Ubuntu as it has the most app and driver support and easiest to use, so the chances that you'll need to deal with that mess is small. The worst you may typically have, is to add a repository URL in the app repository platform that Ubuntu uses. That is a command line often given in the software web sites under the section of your distro for your convince.

No.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

People suggesting VMs and all that but why not just go the "LiveCD" way. Most Linux distros allow you to use it straight from the bootable USB. Sure the performance will be slower but you should get a good representation how your hardware will work in chosen distro and you can even install some programs to test before it inevitably runs out of space.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I have a kali VM and Mint bookable disk I love linux but it isn't good enough to be a daily driver for me. I can get the same utility from those two things and still keep windows for normal shit. You really got to ask yourself what u need it for what are the pros and cons and can u find a middle ground

Just switch and find out. You will learn a lot about Unix and tons more of bash command line. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

If you do play around in Linux based OS, I suggest a VM that support checkpoints like Virtual Box. Linux based OS isn't like Windows If you do a bad thing, there is no "undo", in the sense that there is no system restore, or system repair like you have in Windows. What is done is done. 

Wrong. 

Also, don't assume updates are safe. System updates might no play nice on your system or VM environment, and will not be able to boot. So make a restore point before doing updates.

Unless you use a rolling , bleeding edge distros, occurrence of that is as likely as an macOS update. Linux is KNOWN for stability. 

Keep in mind that not all Linux distro are the same. They may use different repositories, some, like Arch Linux, comes completely vanilla, meaning you don't even have network manager to connect to anything online. You have to do work to get that. Some distro are better supported then other. If you use a disro that isnt' supported by a program, your best bet is to see if it open source, get it, compile it yourself, install all library decencies, code modification might be required, to get it up and running in your distro. Personally, I recommend Ubuntu as it has the most app and driver support and easiest to use, so the chances that you'll need to deal with that mess is small. The worst you may typically have, is to add a repository URL in the app repository platform that Ubuntu uses. That is a command line often given in the software web sites under the section of your distro for your convince.

I have to disagree with you on so many fronts. Arch has both wired and wireless networking capability built in. You don't need a network manager to connect to the internet. 

Arch has the most comprehensive software and easiest to install drivers thanks to its AUR. There is rarely if ever the need to compile driver and softwares instead of using the official repo and AUR. Only downside that arch is a pain in the ass to install but it does teach you way more Linux than any other distros, (except maybe Gentoo).

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Differences of a VM (vs bare metal):

Varying degrees of slower

Driver set is very different

Never "feels" like a real install for desktop use

Is easier to install and get rid of

Convenience of "having an OS in a window" aka, opening browsers on the host to look stuff up etc

Not suggestion a VM isn't good to start off with, but you should understand some things before using Linux (or anything) in a VM.  If you have a spare drive laying around, you could install it on that too.  It's really a set of trade offs.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

On 3/16/2019 at 6:09 AM, The Forester said:

if you have the time, patience, and the desire to learn, then do it! but if you just want something that works without doing any extra work, get virtualbox or something, or get a usb and run it to test it out. if you like it, then think about switching

IMO everyone should have at least a basic knowledge about Linux and how to use it properly.

For beginners I'd recommend something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

Just try it and you will see that you just don't need Windows for most of your daily use.

And even if you switch back to Windows, you will feel way more comfortable using command line, which is really helpful in many situations.

So just do it.

Here's are couple of questions for you: 

1. Did you do your research on Linux (i.e. software you'll be using, and alternatives that are available on Windows/Mac only (i.e. LibreOffice))?
  2. Are you prepared to learn Linux?  Switching to another platform will always have a learning curve.

I suggest starting off with an Ubuntu-based distro, like Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE or Linux Mint.

My father recently switched to Ubuntu, and he's fine so far (he's technologically inept, IMO).

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

9 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Are you prepared to learn Linux?  Switching to another platform will always have a learning curve.

This is what it boils down to. Linux is new to you, you will have to learn it. Windows is just "easier" because it's what you're already familiar with.

If possible, old laptops are a great way to get into linux, particularly thinkpads. Everything is nicer on real hardware, and it's easier to use your main machine to look stuff up when you don't know how to do something.

• 5 weeks later...

Questions to ask self first: 
1. Am I ready to not have my hand held while setting up?
2. Am I ready to be a big boy and deal with the learning curve?
3. Am I ready to have more options than I would be used to?
4. Am I ready to do things the less easy way?
5. Am I ready to to figure out what I need to do in BIOS for some things? (rare but does pop up)
If any 1 through 4 is no, don't.
If 5 is a no, that's fine it is super rare but worth mentioning 
all 1-5 yes, then go do it