5 years is to early to shut off my note 3

Ryanwake

The Note 3 has a killer 1080p screen, and can still play most of the popular free games on the play store.

On top of that you can do steam stream, and with a cheap price it's a great backup phone, with a replaciblye battery, and upgradable storage.

I will still be using my Note 3 in 2020 as my backup phone, I had to replace my Galaxy S8 screen which cost more than the entire note 3.

I'm not saying that the network activity shouldn't be limited, I just want to be able to watch you know anime.

So as long as apps work, and the entire internet will only be accessible if Chrome is launched, that will certainly limit the effect of the botnet.

So my Note 3 can do everything my Galaxy S8 can, so if my Galaxy S8 breaks again, I won't get another contract phone I'll use my Note 3 until I can afford to buy a brand new phone.

Plus I bought it for $85 and I'm sure it's cheaper now

I found it for $68 fast free shipping on eBay, that only took me 30 seconds I bet you could get it for $50

What if you stop buying Samsung crap? dunno, just a suggestion

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

What if you stop buying Samsung crap? dunno, just a suggestion

Are you saying Samsung is crap all together or that the note 3 is crap.

Either way it just works and it just works years later.

And it still looks ten times better than that iPhone 6, how much the iPhone 6 $200? I wonder how many phones you can get that are 10 times better than the iPhone 6 for that price?

This is in response to WAN show.

As a proud 5 year voter, I say tough cookies. No operating system should have to support OS updates and Security patches for consumer hardware that hasn't been on sale for 5 years. That is entirely unrealistic with the pace of change in the industry. 

27 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

I know what her status update is, I just wanted to know what you were asking of me.

This isn't a blog I wanted to know why so many people want to deactivate so mini phones that work just as well as phones in 2019?

Sure something needs to be done about the botnet but that doesn't mean that perfectly usable phone should be shut off.

Microsoft took a really long time to shut off Windows XP and the same with Windows 7, how would you feel if your iPhone suddenly said oh we're not doing security updates anymore because your phone is too old.

But your phone is capable of editing YouTube videos, and playing the top 10 most popular games, why is it considered old?

1. Mobile technology is thriving right now, with new devices coming out every day and with an extremely high amount of innovation left right and center. People like to upgrade and have these new devices, so let them. 

2. Windows is not the same as Android or iOS, as with their counterpart systems they run on. They are very different entities

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I love my note 3 great phone great price this thing is great and the replaceable battery's make up for the about 3hr battery life I get really just a great phone.

4 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

This is in response to WAN show.

As a proud 5 year voter, I say tough cookies. No operating system should have to support OS updates and Security patches for consumer hardware that hasn't been on sale for 5 years. That is entirely unrealistic with the pace of change in the industry. 

Im not suggesting that we support it for 10 years just like 8, and I don't want it bricked.

I want limited internet use, like app like YouTube and Netflix will still work and ide like a work around for online anime.

I understand that the botnet is a thing but u can't just go around shutting down our stuff, what would you do if you had to re-buy your $1,000 plus computer every 5 years because Microsoft decided that it was too expensive to pay for security updates?

Security updates being expensive is an excuse plenty of other companies support their devices more than 5 years, I know normal people upgrade their phone when the new hot thing is available.

But I upgrade my device when it breaks or when it is unusable, and my Galaxy S8 has broken multiple times, my Galaxy Note 3 still works 6 years later.

10 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

I guess I'm just afraid that someone's going to start a petition and get our phones bricked, you're right I'm a bit paranoid.

Technology develops. I'm sorry your LG Rumor is outdated now, but that's how the market works

There's no point in pushing updates or optimizing apps for devices that 1% of the population use, it's not productive or economical

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

While your Note 3 still 'works' it's nowhere near as fast or responsive as a new S10 or Note 10.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

35 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

While your Note 3 still 'works' it's nowhere near as fast or responsive as a new S10 or Note 10.

No but it only cost $67, and would be the perfect first phone for anyone, I mean u can't do CPU intensive tasks without hearing how to play he's on a phone first.

Plus my 15 kids need a phone, I don't know about you but I can't afford to buy all of them Galaxy s9s.

38 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

No it doesn't work* it just works, that means it does everything I need it to and is very responsive, and I'm sure as responsive as an s9 if I put a coustom os.

I mean this is a flagship phone yes for 2013, it's not like we had to settle for the best of 2013 and 2013, 2013 flagship phones after a clean install are great.

2 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

You realize that 5 years ago$1,000 Plus computers were basically Xbox One X's.

Incorrect.

My i7 920 rig I got rid of last year was better than then current consoles. 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

It's still on Lollipop lmao

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Quite frankly, if a company decide a device I've bought is only good for a couple years and remotely brick/time kill-switch it just because they don't want to support it anymore.... I'd sue.
If I want to use my super old tablet/phone as a youtube/netflix/e-reader machine, I should be allowed to do so.
It'd just creates electronic waste for no reason other than to force people to buy new devices.

I get the whole "network security" thing, but this shouldn't even matter if your network is secured properly with client isolation and what not. (For the general user anyway, this is different for a big business... who are way more likely to be victims of actual attacks... but they often can get subventions and tax write off to upgrade their gear so who cares)

Not to mention, third party firmware can often increase the life expectancy of devices even more, by providing updates long after the manufacturer dropped it. (like getting Android 9 on a device that never got officially updated past Android 6 or 7.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

Plus my 15 kids need a phone, I don't know about you but I can't afford to buy all of them Galaxy s9s.

Track phones exist. And I think the bigger issue here is your fifteen kids. Just because you can't control yourself doesn't mean things shouldn't be outdated for your convenience. Next you'll be complaining how you don't get a price cut off schools because you have so many kids. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

eventually the internet will be brought to its knees by bots on unsecure outdated andriod devices. you can put windows 10 on a 15 year old pc and still get securtiy updates

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

8 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

Im not suggesting that we support it for 10 years just like 8, and I don't want it bricked.

I want limited internet use, like app like YouTube and Netflix will still work and ide like a work around for online anime.

I understand that the botnet is a thing but u can't just go around shutting down our stuff, what would you do if you had to re-buy your $1,000 plus computer every 5 years because Microsoft decided that it was too expensive to pay for security updates?

Microsoft sort of does this already. Its more than 5 years, but Windows 7 is hitting the end of the line for support. And Windows 8 wont be far behind it. And these old machines with known security exploits make being online less safer for everyone. Microsoft gave out the free upgrade option, if they didn't take it, and they don't switch to Linux, then after support ends those PCs should not be online, and if the ISPs did that, I would applaud them for it. And going further I don't think Microsoft should be offering support for a version of Windows 10 past 5 years, and if that bricks PCs of people who haven't updated in 5 years, well too bad. That behavior has externalities that hurt others and causes society scale security problems.

As for Phones, the hardware is changing so rapidly, the SoC advancement in the last 5 years has been nothing short of remarkable. The idea that the OS needs to be made secure and usable on a SoC that weak, while at the same time able to deliver a modern experience, it is not practical. It is not good for the consumer. Here is what I am willing to concede, every phone should have an unlocked boot loader, allowing the owner to install an alternative OS that is up to date, so if someone want's to keep an Android fork with the necessary security patches for people to run on old machines, then users could switch to it, as PC users could switch to LInux.

13 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

I'm not saying that the network activity shouldn't be limited, I just want to be able to watch you know anime.

So as long as apps work, and the entire internet will only be accessible if Chrome is launched, that will certainly limit the effect of the botnet.

ermm ... no.  If a device with serious vulnerabilities is in any way connected to the internet, it can (and most likely will) be exploited.  All it takes is a malicious ad or for you to click the wrong link. 

Your Note 3 still has LineageOS support (Android 7 with the latest security patches) , so the best thing you can do is spend an afternoon to get that installed.

8 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

what would you do if you had to re-buy your $1,000 plus computer every 5 years because Microsoft decided that it was too expensive to pay for security updates?

When Microsoft stops support for the current OS, you either upgrade to a newer version or install Linux.  On a phone you install a custom ROM ... assuming the bootloader is unlocked.  That's why I fully stand behind the idea of manufacturers unlocking the bootloader when they drop support for a phone. 

I'm watching the WAN on Youtube now, paused at the discussion about forced disconnections from the net via software updates. Here's my two cents:

Such a thing, in my opinion, makes sense, for a relatively cheap phone, or one bought on contract. However, even high end flagship phones can be bought sim free. I just checked, I can buy a sim free 512GB Galaxy S10+ for 1,319 euro. And yet, Samsung, to the best of my recollection, only ever commits to two years, two operating system update cycles even for flagship phones. So my theoretical S10+ will come with Android 9, and will be updated to 10 & 11 at some point. But after that? SOL, unless I want to go the custom ROM route, such as LineageOS. Heck, I bought a Galaxy Tab S4, which launched only last August, with Android 8, and as far as I'm aware, Samsung are planning only on upgrading it to 9.

This is one reason why I'm strongly considering going iPhone for the first time in my life, once my current contract runs out. For the amount of money I'm paying for the device, I want to be seeing years, multiple, of software updates.

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Quite frankly, if a company decide a device I've bought is only good for a couple years and remotely brick/time kill-switch it just because they don't want to support it anymore.... I'd sue.
If I want to use my super old tablet/phone as a youtube/netflix/e-reader machine, I should be allowed to do so.
It'd just creates electronic waste for no reason other than to force people to buy new devices.

I get the whole "network security" thing, but this shouldn't even matter if your network is secured properly with client isolation and what not. (For the general user anyway, this is different for a big business... who are way more likely to be victims of actual attacks... but they often can get subventions and tax write off to upgrade their gear so who cares)

Not to mention, third party firmware can often increase the life expectancy of devices even more, by providing updates long after the manufacturer dropped it. (like getting Android 9 on a device that never got officially updated past Android 6 or 7.)

Perhaps what you mean to suggest is for manufacturers to make old devices work only in a walled garden of sorts, with only a white list of apps? So even if a device that is restricted to communicating with Youtube and a few other apps happens to get hacked and made part of a bot net, it won't be able to communicate with the bot net?

I dunno...do we want to take away the ability to side-load apps? I don't like the thought of dropping hundreds or even a couple thou on a device, and then a few years down the line, it gets effectively crippled just because of something that might happen.