Tesla Unveils Model Y

TheBean
59 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Not to mention that, in the US anyway, coal is still a very primary source of electricity. If you increase power usage to the grid by charging your "green" electric car, the plants must increase output, which involves burning more coal.

If electric cars as a whole are to be really actually clean, new battery tech & more green power solutions are needed. (say, more nuclear/wind/solar?)

I agree that we need to move towards fully being powered by green energy sources. However, a power plant burning enough coal to charge a Tesla battery involves far less CO2 emissions than an internal combustion engine burning a full tank of fuel. ICEs can utilize about 20% of the energy that they creat as the vast majority is lost as heat, but modern coal plants are far more efficient and can actually convert 80% of the chemical energy in the coal to useable electricity. So yes coal plants are definitely not the final solution for all of this, but they sure are a hell of a lot better than everyone driving around ICEs.

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

48 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

TIL, though I'd consider something with almost half the 63% to be a "primary" source.

Glad to see natgas up there, even if the methods to get it are not great. Would LOVE to see more nuclear though.

Hopefully other souces of electricity do continue to grow.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

RIP anyone who is above 6 feet tall trying to get in the 3rd row lol.

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

Was able to get mine ordered.  Going to be a long wait :(

image.thumb.png.b39c1a087e7eee945a92cb6a13efdc6a.png

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

5 hours ago, Gandek said:

RIP anyone who is above 6 feet tall trying to get in the 3rd row lol.

Yeah, thats a reason why I don't like the trend of these SUV's with the hatchback look, its like they're adding a 3rd row seat just to market it as a feature.

9 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

im sick of this shit. unless you regularly drive off road you dont need the ground clearance of a truck. and unless. and if you have 5 kids to move around all day get multivan with sliding doors like normal moms. im sick of being stuck behind people in their ego stroking self worth compensating giant SUV on their way to work...alone.

So, I agree with you, but only when those people are in a place like California.  

Up here in the northern parts of the US, and especially in the less dense population centers such as Maine, NH, VT, upper/western NY, etc…4wd/AWD is a must for parts of the year.  My wife and I have gotten away without it, but only thanks to being able to work from home when the roads aren't drivable.  Those less dense population centers also tend to have more people who take care of their own houses/equipment and occasionally need to transport larger items.  I'm contemplating a trailer since I don't care about that stuff during the winter, but that's not a luxury that many up here have.  So, there's definitely a reasonable reason for a good chunk of the US to have SUVs or trucks, and many of them can't (or at least shouldn't) afford another vehicle that isn't commonly used.

If you're a single person in DC, Florida, or Cali and aren't taking it off road at least occasionally though…yeah, get something more efficient.

12 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

im sick of this shit. unless you regularly drive off road you dont need the ground clearance of a truck

Better than the dipshits that scrape off the bumpers of their ricers and shitrolets on pebbles.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.