kailh VS Cherry switches?

GAMINGGUY

So I've heard things such as, kailh switches are cheaper and worse quality than cherry, and I've also heard that kailh switches are higher quality and feel better, and even kailh switches feel different with every keystroke. So what is true can someone please tell me? Are kailh switches really bad?  

17 minutes ago, GAMINGGUY said:

So I've heard things such as, kailh switches are cheaper and worse quality than cherry, and I've also heard that kailh switches are higher quality and feel better, and even kailh switches feel different with every keystroke. So what is true can someone please tell me? Are kailh switches really bad?  

Kailh switches are not bad, wait for the keyboard pro's to elaborate on that, but the gist is that kailh are not bad, IMO they are good, but I only back that by what I read online and a kailh switch tester I have, kailh are a bit better than cherry,smoother. I have cherry mx brown keyboard, and when comparing it to kailh brown on my tester, I like kailh better, there are also kailh box switches,those are even better I think, but don't have any real world experience with them.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Kailh switches are not bad, wait for the keyboard pro's to elaborate on that, but the gist is that kailh are not bad, IMO they are good, but I only back that by what I read online and a kailh switch tester I have, kailh are a bit better than cherry, I have cherry mx brown keyboard, and when comparing it to kailh brown, I like kailh better, there are also kailh box switches,those are even better I think, but don't have any real world experience so far. 

Thank you so much :)

4 minutes ago, GAMINGGUY said:

Thank you so much :)

Wait for others, they should elaborate and give you much more info than I did. 

32 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Wait for others, they should elaborate and give you much more info than I did. 

Alright, thanks

Use Cherry if you like a silky, smooth experience.

Use Kailh if you like sandpaper condoms.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

That doesn't help. I like technical reasons not just someones personal preference... 

2 minutes ago, GAMINGGUY said:

That doesn't help. I like technical reasons not just someones personal preference... 

Read the post again, grasshopper. You will find the technical reasons you are looking for.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Read the post again, grasshopper. You will find the technical reasons you are looking for.

I just got a board with Kaihl silver switches and its much smoother than my previous boards Ive had with red, blue, and brown switches :))

10 hours ago, aisle9 said:

LOL 
CHERRY
>SMOOTH

Cherry switches are quite overrated, just very mediocre switches. Most of their switches are very scratchy and unpleasant, this is mostly due to their scratchy and unsmooth housings and sliders. For example, here we have a gateron zealio sider compared to a cherry brown slider. Ul7IpLl.thumb.jpg.51f9915077d54bb67c9fab37f563c5e6.jpgCherry actually used to be good at making relativity smooth switches, as shown by the difference between a new oldstock vintage mx black and a modern mx red rgb switch. 

268.png.f600b716828e439e9cea6346c44d7019.png266.png.891fee17a320441fb5cbb13070b928bc.png

13 hours ago, GAMINGGUY said:

Kailh switches differ a lot in feel and quality depending on what design and type they are, for instance the razer kailh switches are super turboshit, scratchy very inconsistent, while their box switches are very nice and smooth, and are very durable (80m) and I would argue are no longer cherry clones, as they don't share much in general with cherry switches other than their mount and pin layout. 

13 hours ago, GAMINGGUY said:

Oh this is a big conversation right here. Kailh switches are cheaper and worse quality than cherry indeed as almost every other non European product compared to a European one. Note that Cherry are still manufactured in Germany. Quality could be the same, not better but the same for a non cherry switch but cherry will always be more expensive due to less production than a Chinese switch for example. All that does not mean that cherry will feel better. That is personal preference. For example i currently use Brown KB Talking switches as my daily driver and they feel awesome. Now about the change in every keystroke that could not be true. I used also a lot of razer keyboards and kailh green the clicky tactile ones felt great. The keyboards felt really bad, all of them just bad pieces of plastic with premium prices which compared to a filco or ducky(great keyboards) for example they are total crap. And to answer the last question, no, Kailh they are not really bad. 
Best thing to do would be to get a switch tester to see and feel what is best suited for you.

41 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

Quality could be the same, not better but the same for a non cherry switch but cherry will always be more expensive due to less production than a Chinese switch for example.

How about switches like Zealios? They're produced a lot less than cherry switches and if you ask people in the keyboard enthusiast community they will say they are a lot smoother, made from better materials and tooling, more tactile and a better switch in general compared to cherrys. And guess what? They're Chinese cherry "clones" made by gateron.

42 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

Note that Cherry are still manufactured in Germany.

What does have to do? Oh this product is made in Germany, so it has to be 120% better than this one made in America and 5000% better than this one in China. 

1 minute ago, b emoji said:

How about switches like Zealios? They're produced a lot less than cherry switches and if you ask people in the keyboard enthusiast community they will say they are a lot smoother, made from better materials and tooling, more tactile and a better switch in general compared to cherrys. And guess what? They're Chinese cherry "clones" made by gateron.

They re produced a lot less because not so many brands use Zealios. They are nice switches, definitely not better build quality or materials and tooling than Cherry but about the feel as i said it is totally subjective. They might feel better and that's ok. As i said i am using Chinese switches as a daily driver.

3 minutes ago, b emoji said:

What does have to do? Oh this product is made in Germany, so it has to be 120% better than this one made in America and 5000% better than this one in China. 

I am not responding to that. It's another matter. Much bigger conversation. Out of topic and it will bring flame wars in the forum while there is no need for that. I stated something which i think is true for so so many reasons and generally a common truth but you have every right to reject it and believe otherwise.

5 minutes ago, b emoji said:

and 5000% better than this one in China. 

And no than not truth at all. There are exceptions. Xiaomi proved to be one for example in specific products. 

19 hours ago, GAMINGGUY said:

The reason for this Kailh switches are not the same as they used to be. The have gotten much better and have surpassed Cherry in recent years. People who say Kailh switches suck probably have experience with the older ones, back from the times when they were making switches for Razer.

Modern Kailh switches are awesome. Pretty much anything found on here will be a good Kailh switch: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switches  

6 hours ago, b emoji said:

Cherry switches are quite overrated, just very mediocre switches. Most of their switches are very scratchy and unpleasant, this is mostly due to their scratchy and unsmooth housings and sliders. For example, here we have a gateron zealio sider compared to a cherry brown slider. Ul7IpLl.thumb.jpg.51f9915077d54bb67c9fab37f563c5e6.jpg

This is just my personal experience, but I've found the Cherry scratchiness has everything to do with the housings and not the stems. I've done a lot of custom switches, mixing and matching switch parts, and the scratch seems to follow the housings around. Currently I'm using a board with Cherry Clear stems in Gateron housings and they are quite smooth. Not as smooth as a Zealio but it's not really a noticeable difference under normal typing. 

7 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

They re produced a lot less because not so many brands use Zealios. They are nice switches, definitely not better build quality or materials and tooling than Cherry but about the feel as i said it is totally subjective. They might feel better and that's ok. As i said i am using Chinese switches as a daily driver.

what are you talking about?

only cherry can make them right because they were first and no one else can make them better?

anyways there is night and day difference on gaterons and kailh now days

early switches did have some issues but imho I think they surpassed cherry now and have yet to use zealios too

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

only cherry can make them right because they were first and no one else can make them better?

I ve never said that....

8 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

I stated something which i think is true for so so many reasons

What are those so so many reasons? Care to elaborate on those reasons? You did not really base your opinions with anything, (only that non sense about European  quality) but you must have some real reasons for saying what you said, or wrote to be exact.  

5 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

I ve never said that....

Better build quality materials and tooling?

Hmmm

Then what do you mean by those then?

Fyi cherry has production plants in Asia and America also

can only offer my opinion but i got a keyboard with Kailh Brown switches and i quite like the feel of them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

• 1 year later...

Sorry for necro but I need to make something clear for people who come to see this post for information on switches like me.

Novelkeys_ Cream switches by Kailh and Gateron Ink switches are the smoothest switches I ever tried and now when I use my Ducky with cherry mx reds it feels SCRATCHY.