Upgrading storage on MSI GL63

So like the title says, what kind of storage can I upgrade a MSI GL63 with? It only comes with 512 gb PCIe SSD. What I would like to do is add a 1-2 tb harddrive, but what kind should I buy? Just a normal internal harddrive?

According to the website there is room for a 2.5" HDD (not to be confused with 3.5" drives for desktop PC's). Double check though if there is a cable included in the laptop for the drive

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you have a 2,5" bay available, I would suggest a 2tb 7200rpm hdd from either wd or seagate, I dont know much about other hard drive companies.

If you dont have internal space available, please DONT buy a hard drive that gets all its juice through one usb port since that is only enough for a 5400rpm drive, which is slow af. 

Thanks for quick answeres:) I will try to look it up more, the seller dosen't specify if there is room for a 2.5 hdd but since its that modell maybe I can asume it has?

12 minutes ago, SomeGermanGuy said:

If you have a 2,5" bay available, I would suggest a 2tb 7200rpm hdd from either wd or seagate, I dont know much about other hard drive companies.

If you dont have internal space available, please DONT buy a hard drive that gets all its juice through one usb port since that is only enough for a 5400rpm drive, which is slow af. 

How do I know if it gets "all its juice" from usb? does all 5400rpm drivers do that? and if I but a 7200 rpm what should I look for?

If you have the buget you should go with a 2.5" ssd , because you are going to feel the difference , if you don't have money for that you should go with wd or Seagate

a 7200rpm drive needs 7 to 10 watts under load, but a standard usb port from a laptop/desktop delivers only 5 watts maximum. so If  you go with an external one, get one with its own PSU, or two usb connectors. I dont know If your laptop has a type C port, but if it does, it SHOULD (Not all laptops have that) deliver more power than a normal usb port.

15 minutes ago, ZeDreamwalker said:

Thanks for quick answeres:) I will try to look it up more, the seller dosen't specify if there is room for a 2.5 hdd but since its that modell maybe I can asume it has?

Just turn your laptop around and take a look yourself, if you want to put one inside you have to open the laptop anyway.

8 minutes ago, SomeGermanGuy said:

Just turn your laptop around and take a look yourself, if you want to put one inside you have to open the laptop anyway.

Haven't bought it yet. And I'm only intrested in internal storage. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Most 2.5 hdds Im looking at if not all are 5200 rpm

11 minutes ago, ZeDreamwalker said:

How do I know if it gets "all its juice" from usb? does all 5400rpm drivers do that? and if I but a 7200 rpm what should I look for?

He meant if you don't have a 2.5" slot  , but you have , so don't worry. Here is a HDD that will work 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01C4W2P18/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

And a SSD if you have a bigger buget (my opinion is that the difference in price worth the extra money) https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-2TB-SSD-WDS200T2B0A/dp/B073SBRHH6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=2MXF4AUBVTCXF&keywords=ssd+2tb&qid=1551879779&s=gateway&sprefix=ssd+2&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

6 minutes ago, ZeDreamwalker said:

Haven't bought it yet. And I'm only intrested in internal storage. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Most 2.5 hdds Im looking at if not all are 5200 rpm

I havent looked around long to find this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAHNK8GG6840&Description=2%2c5" hdd 7200rpm&cm_re=2%2c5"_hdd_7200rpm-_-9SIAHNK8GG6840-_-Product

Yes, its expensive but I think if you look around some more you will find better deals

Does it have 2.5 inch bracket+screws+cable included?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128