What's this weird 6 pin connector called?

Yesterday I just got a killer deal on a GTX 1060. I bought it and since it eats more power than my PC can handle I'm upgrading my PSU.

I was looking on buying the Corsair VS Series VS450, so I took a quick look at the power connectors my PC needs.

When I was looking at pictures on google to confirm what the power connectors I need is called I stumbled upon this weird 6 pin connector. 224482671_Billede03-03-201900_41_43.thumb.jpg.b84fccc90c164c65b5b117dc72e9a7e6.jpg

I've been trying to find out what it's called but could only find connectors like this one my GPU needs

2036451933_Billede03-03-201900_46_00.thumb.jpg.2ff0de6fc662b49b8d94a90f5451dca8.jpg

If you could please tell me what it's called it would help a lot.

I'm using an HP Compaq 8200 Elite MT PC, so if it's a weird port HP invented, then where can I get an adapter?

Oh and while you're there is my PSU ATX? I'm not quite sure because it apparently sits in the top

Yeah, it's a supplementary GPU power port that some motherboards have, it's not essential that it's used though.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

If it's HP it's probably a proprietary PSU connection.  Adapters for it exist.  They've got like...3 different custom plugs on some of their consumer boards.

Here, on page 2:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02741906

Example mod video if you don't want to buy an adapter for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUbocXdrFfw

26 minutes ago, Askejm said:

I was looking on buying the Corsair VS Series VS450

eh, can I say no? I'd probably use it for my old Q9400 + 750ti system, not something that cost much more like a 1060.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

is there a current cable from the power supply that goes into the weird 6 pin port? 

In the case with dell's, they have a 5 pin connector to pass through power through the motherboard to sata devices. 

in your case it's either a 6 pin port to supply additional power or to pass through power.

1 minute ago, bindydad123 said:

is there a current cable from the power supply that goes into the weird 6 pin port? 

In the case with dell's, they have a 5 pin connector to pass through power through the motherboard to sata devices. 

in your case it's either a 6 pin port to supply additional power or to pass through power.

That is THE power connector for the motherbard.  Several low end HP/Dell systems that have only a 6-8 pin connector for MB power.

4 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

If it's HP it's probably a proprietary PSU connection.  Adapters for it exist.  They've got like...3 different custom plugs on some of their consumer boards.

Here, on page 2:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02741906

Example mod video if you don't want to buy an adapter for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUbocXdrFfw

Do you know what it's called and can you maybe find it on Amazon UK or a Danish website? I'm probably gonna use the PCIE 6 pin connector that I'm also gonna use for my GPU for

That HP motherboard connector is downright dangerous.  It's exactly like the PCIe (also called PEG) power connector, but wired differently.  I've heard of a lot of people frying their motherboards by plugging PCIe cables into them if the PSU's SCP doesn't trip.

There's also a little in-line 6-pin that needs to be plugged in as well.

Honestly, if someone has one of those proprietary HP boards and needs to upgrade, they really should just throw it in the trash bin.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That HP motherboard connector is downright dangerous.  It's exactly like the PCIe (also called PEG) power connector, but wired differently.  I've heard of a lot of people frying their motherboards by plugging PCIe cables into them if the PSU's SCP doesn't trip.

There's also a little in-line 6-pin that needs to be plugged in as well.

Honestly, if someone has one of those proprietary HP boards and needs to upgrade, they really should just throw it in the trash bin.

I'd agree with this statement wholeheartedly even if it wasn't a pro like @jonnyGURU saying it.  Besides, the plain truth is business desktop systems like this really aren't built for much expansion in the first place.  The PSU installed is based on the controlled hardware configurations available at the time of sale and they've got proprietary PSU/MB connections, etc.  Honestly, if you want to reuse the case that's fine if it'll fit standard hardware but you're better served replacing that MB if you're replacing the PSU.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That HP motherboard connector is downright dangerous.  It's exactly like the PCIe (also called PEG) power connector, but wired differently. 

I don't agree with that. There's no standard 20/24pin ATX connector on those boards with those 6 pin connectors, so there's no way for the PSU to turn on, unless the user bridges the sense pin to ground. 

Older HP Compaq DX series Slim Towers or Small Form Factor PCs, had a standard pinout 24pin connector, but used a much smaller connector, so you couldn't just plug in an incompatible PSU.

I've heard of a lot of people frying their motherboards by plugging PCIe cables into them if the PSU's SCP doesn't trip.

I understand why that would happen, but it's not the fault of HP. It's the equivalent of plugging an incompatible modular cable in your PSU.

It's the fault of people being ignorant. It is not necessarily the fault of the person who killed their stuff; it's quite possible they asked for help, and some stupid, ignorant person on the internet, told them they should force their PSU on.

Yes, exactly that.

43 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I don't agree with that. There's no standard 20/24pin ATX connector on those boards with those 6 pin connectors, so there's no way for the PSU to turn on, unless the user bridges the sense pin to ground. 

Are you sure?  I thought the power on and power good were on the in-line 6-pin.

https://www.amazon.com/EZSync-Motherboard-Adapter-Workstation-EZSync910-x/dp/B0781XJXRY

Are you sure?  I thought the power on and power good were on the in-line 6-pin.

https://www.amazon.com/EZSync-Motherboard-Adapter-Workstation-EZSync910-x/dp/B0781XJXRY

Oh, I get what you mean. It's not about plugging in a standard PSU on it's own, it's about plugging the OEM PSU back in wrong, or using a standard PSU with an adaptor is wrong. That's poor a design choice.

But also noted, the OEM PSU and motherboard is colour coded; white in white (power into the motherboard), black in black (power out of the motherboard), and the black plug should stay in during a PSU replacement.

That adaptor is shocking. Too cheap to buy the right colour connectors, and in another thread, a user commented that they used wrong coloured wires, so I guess would probably be too cheap to buy decent wires anyway.

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Oh, I get what you mean. It's not about plugging in a standard PSU on it's own, it's about plugging the OEM PSU back in wrong, or using a standard PSU with an adaptor is wrong.

Not necessarily.  It's about getting the adapter so a standard ATX PSU can be used and plugging IT in wrong.

10 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Older HP Compaq DX series Slim Towers or Small Form Factor PCs, had a standard pinout 24pin connector, but used a much smaller connector, so you couldn't just plug in an incompatible PSU.

I understand why that would happen, but it's not the fault of HP. It's the equivalent of plugging an incompatible modular cable in your PSU.

It's the fault of people being ignorant. It is not necessarily the fault of the person who killed their stuff; it's quite possible they asked for help, and some stupid, ignorant person on the internet, told them they should force their PSU on.

Yes, exactly that.

I found all these connectors not plugged in.

930808331_Billede06-02-201915_48_10.thumb.jpg.ddf1d5caf05fddc7ef22e20a9f90e9d2.jpg

Can I use them to power the motherboard? Also currently my PSU is connected to the motherboard with a fan 6 pin (with only 4 wires connected?) the weird HP 6 pin, and what looks like a standard 4 pin.

Oh and one last thing is there any rule of thumb for which connectors need to be plugged in?

1 hour ago, Askejm said:

Can I use them to power the motherboard?

No. The closed one in the upper right corner is the onboard USB3 header, next to it is labeled with PAR so it could be a parallel port. The one with the cable plugged in is a 4 Pin PWM fan header, next to that should be the connector for a case's audio ports. FDO jumpers are a precaution for flashing the Intel Management Firmware. The BB jumpers are related to BIOS Boot Block protection mechanism. HSENSE should be related to Hood Sense which is related to intrusion detection. I can't read any label of the 5-Pin connector below the fan header so no idea.

I'm sorry and this isn't meant to be mean but: you have no idea what you're playing around with or of very basics of connectors and there's no manual as it seems. Best case scenario: it just won't work. More likely: you fry the hardware. Worst case scenario: you'll hurt yourself.

1 hour ago, Askejm said:

Oh and one last thing is there any rule of thumb for which connectors need to be plugged in?

On a regular, modern motherboard: ATX power connector (usually 24 Pin but there are also 20+4 Pin) and EPS (4,6 or 8 Pin). You need the power switch to bridge one of the ATX pin to ground, for testing purposes you can "ghetto" bridge this with a screwdriver. If you bridge the wrong ones you could damage something.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

8 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

I'm sorry and this isn't meant to be mean but: you have no idea what you're playing around with or of very basics of connectors and there's no manual as it seems. Best case scenario: it just won't work. More likely: you fry the hardware. Worst case scenario: you'll hurt yourself.

Yeah.  That last post scared the crap out of me.  I mean... it's ok to be a noob, but you can't just start plugging power in and assuming every possible connection needs to be populated.

OP needs a book like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Yourself-Dummies/dp/0470196114/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=build+PC&qid=1551719234&rnid=2941120011&s=books&sr=1-6

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Or a good tutorial like the last one Paul from Paul's Hardware did: Part 1 and Part 2

I can remember 20 years back (ugh) a friend and myself tried to reassemble my old 486DX2 … best buddy put the CPU back in 180° turned. Mainboard catched fire and it the old little bugger was in hardware heaven. If you don't know what you're doing: rtfm or find a good tutorial.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

On a regular, modern motherboard: ATX power connector (usually 24 Pin but there are also 20+4 Pin) and EPS (4,6 or 8 Pin). You need the power switch to bridge one of the ATX pin to ground, for testing purposes you can "ghetto" bridge this with a screwdriver. If you bridge the wrong ones you could damage something.

Is there any adapter I can use? I found someone who managed to find a cable on eBay that converts the normal 24 pin power connector to the HP 6 pin connector and the 6 pin fan connector with only 4 wires connected. But the problem is the product is no longer for sale. I saw someone who used a 24pin to

motherboard 2-port 6 pin adapter but the 6 pin adapter looks like the one for graphics cards.

chrome_2019-03-04_20-20-08.png.c485ada22d1fce9f1b1dc003f36f356a.png

It shouldn't work as this guy here says

19 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

But the PC turned on with no problem. I'm not quite sure if it's fake and he maybe changed the motherboard possibly or he just managed to make it work.

Here's the video 

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

that one really hit me hard...

1 minute ago, Askejm said:

Is there any adapter I can use? I found someone who managed to find a cable on eBay that converts the normal 24 pin power connector to the HP 6 pin connector and the 6 pin fan connector with only 4 wires connected. But the problem is the product is no longer for sale. I saw someone who used a 24pin to motherboard 2-port 6 pin adapter but the 6 pin adapter looks like the one for graphics cards. It shouldn't work as this guy here says

But the PC turned on with no problem. I'm not quite sure if it's fake and he maybe changed the motherboard possibly or he just managed to make it work.

Here's the video 

You can't plug in a regular PCIe cable and expect it to work. You will have to rewire the cable or make your own cable (for that you'll need a proper crimp tool, crimp adapters and connectors - and the knowledge of what you're actually doing). The evil move HP pulled here was to use a common connector found on most if not all PSUs and repurpose it. That means: people who don't know what they're doing might just end up plugging the PCIe cable into their mainboard and fry everything. 

Since you don't know what you're doing: leave it be unless you can find a reliable source telling you exactly which kind of connector you need.

7 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

You can't plug in a regular PCIe cable and expect it to work. You will have to rewire the cable or make your own cable

Tbh, I was expecting this. 

7 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Since you don't know what you're doing: leave it be unless you can find a reliable source telling you exactly which kind of connector you need.

I just really want this to work. I got this really nice GTX 1060 for a killer price and I don't wanna return it

4 hours ago, bowrilla said:

you have no idea what you're playing around with or of very basics of connectors and there's no manual as it seems. Best case scenario: it just won't work. More likely: you fry the hardware. Worst case scenario: you'll hurt yourself.

you can't just start plugging power in and assuming every possible connection needs to be populated.

4 hours ago, bowrilla said:

rtfm or find a good tutorial.

(there's no manual or good tutorial)

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

My day was going fine before this. Now it's destroyed. You guys need to keep in mind that the only way to learn something is to do something you don't know how to do. I'm sure I could do this if I was let (not the start making my own cable part). But now you've got your opinion. Be happy about it. I'm buying the gtx 1050 ti that worked for me before.

34 minutes ago, Askejm said:

My day was going fine before this. Now it's destroyed. You guys need to keep in mind that the only way to learn something is to do something you don't know how to do. I'm sure I could do this if I was let (not the start making my own cable part). But now you've got your opinion. Be happy about it. I'm buying the gtx 1050 ti that worked for me before.

I and others have already said, there's adaptors, but they're pieces of shit, so don't use them.

We've also provided links to resources that can help you. Don't get snarky at us.

1 hour ago, Askejm said:

People with more experience than you have are telling you that with your knowledge and information about that specific system fiddling around with a psu is a bad idea. A mistake will most likely not just make it not work but destroy (some of) your components, potentially setting things on fire posing a threat to your health and home. If you have a multimeter you can just measure each pin against ground. Your questions indicitate that you don't have the knowledge about electronics to play around with stuff that's plugged into mains. It's also a fair guess that you don't have a multimeter at hand because otherwise you'd probably already used it. Even if you had, you'd still needed to find the right pin pair to bridge for the PSU to turn on - bridge two wrong pins might result in a short destroying the PSU and making all other attempts on measuring anything futile.

I find it very surprising though that your system works fine with a 1050Ti but isn't stable with a 1060. Between a 1050Ti and a 1060 6GB can be about 50-70W difference (70W vs 130W ... ish). A quick search indicated that the built in psu in your system should be something around 350W. That's still 220W left for your CPU, HDD/SSD, chipset functions and peripherals. What kind of chip do you have in there that draws that much power?

P.S.: If that's what it takes to destroy your day I'd suggest growing up and getting your priorities straight. Don't get huffy because we're just honest with you.