Why does the USB 2.0 exist alongside 3.0?

Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,

Lower power requirements and consumption for USB2.0.

3.0 is specified for 1A

2.0 is specified for 0,5A

And also the driving power for the higher frequency. We're talking about like 10 times the transfer rate.

Hi,

Recently Huawei announced their new lineup of Matebooks with their "revolutionary" folding phone. Their Matebook 14 has both, Type A 2.0 and 3.0 usb's. Why? 

Wouldn't it be better to either provide a different port or just 2 USB 3.0 ports?

Here's Engadget's youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSr6g3YgyH0

Skip to 4:40 to check it out

i believes its 2 things..one 2.0 is cheaper..and two, the mobo connector for 2.0 is a lot smaller then 3.0

This is just a guess but processors generally have limited channels to the CPU, so maybe they didn't have enough bandwidth leftover for two usb 3.0 ports. 

3.0 is too fast for some people!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

processors generally have limited channels to the CPU

What does this mean?

Which processor are you referring to?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I wouldn't need it on a laptop, but I wish more desktop motherboards kept some USB 2.0 ports in the rear I/O panel. The reason is that USB 3.0 and above are not fully backward compatible (despite being supposed to be), and some devices that work on 2.0 don't work on USB3. 

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What does this mean?

Which processor are you referring to?

I wonder if the poster wasn't thinking of PICE lanes...and getting things confused.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

and some devices that work on 2.0 don't work on USB3. 

I have several older USB 2.0 cards that don't play nice with 3.0. It's irritating.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, circeseye said:

i believes its 2 things..one 2.0 is cheaper..and two, the mobo connector for 2.0 is a lot smaller then 3.0

but when theres both they already have a 3.0 chip on there.

cpu lanes sounds like a maybe i guess 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

7 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

but when theres both they already have a 3.0 chip on there.

cpu lanes sounds like a maybe i guess 

I'd suspect it's mainly cost. A USB 3 connector is very slightly more expensive than a USB 2 one, because a USB 3 connector has 5 extra contacts. It's like 3 cents more, but it's more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Lower power requirements and consumption for USB2.0.

3.0 is specified for 1A

2.0 is specified for 0,5A

And also the driving power for the higher frequency. We're talking about like 10 times the transfer rate.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Some devices are only compatible with 2.0 and lower, while some devices need 3.0 to operate. Remember whilst they are the same port physically, they are different.

17 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

I'd suspect it's mainly cost. A USB 3 connector is very slightly more expensive than a USB 2 one, because a USB 3 connector has 5 extra contacts. It's like 3 cents more, but it's more.

yeah its not like with cars where they expect 100 million units sold. notebooks get revised to frequently. so maybe on high volume model i could see it i guess but on top shelf this shouldnt be a thing. although i have literally fought with the higher up at a known car brand over 3 kilo  bytes and them requiring a chip costing 9 cents more. ...FOUGHT!!! 

i will never get the industire and maybe thats why im not a rich car company owning dick.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

There are a few reasons:

1. Cost - USB 2.0 is cheaper than USB 3.0 and companies care about the bottom line
  2. Backwards compatibility - some USB 2.0 devices don't play well with USB 3.0 despite the latter being supposedly fully backwards compatible
  3. Use case - In reality, a lot of people will use an external mouse on a laptop and that will probably be where people end up plugging in a mouse and if it's wireless, just leave the receiver plugged in.

Ultimately it doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless you really think you need to have 4 USB SSDs plugged in all the time doing file transfers. I only have 2 USB 3.0 ports on my laptop (and a 3.1 Type C) and I get on just fine.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

6 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

yeah its not like with cars where they expect 100 million units sold. notebooks get revised to frequently.

Cars get revised frequently too. My car is the last year where the base trim doesn't come with a fancy head unit. The next year the base trim came with one. And now the base trim of the model of my car comes with stuff you would've found on the higher end trims of yesteryear.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Cars get revised frequently too. My car is the last year where the base trim doesn't come with a fancy head unit. The next year the base trim came with one. And now the base trim of the model of my car comes with stuff you would've found on the higher end trims of yesteryear.

yeah but what i meant is the chipset doest change that frequently unless theres a problem.

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

yeah but what i meant is the chipset doest change that frequently unless theres a problem.

If it's the critical electronics like the ECU or those that control safety features, then yeah, you shouldn't be changing them unless you have a damn good reason. If it's the non-critical stuff like the infotainment then... well if you can still use the same hardware then why not?

They probably don't put 2.0 ports on products for this reason but some things don't work on usb 3.0 ports even if the cables are 2.0. Jailbreaking older iphones doesn't work on 3.0 at all. (not realizing this caused me to stay up for like 5 hours trying to get my 3gs to jailbreak) Some other old devices just don't like them either.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm