Windows 10

Blitz4

Hi. I've been working on a build for my brother today and the final piece arrives today.  I've never installed or used Windows 10 and vaguely rember a comment on one of LTT's video. iirc, they mentioned to not register win10 with a microsoft acct or wait until its installed to enter the key. I dont remember.

Any advice for a win10 n00b to help my brother out would be appreciated greatly.

I've never heard any advice like that. Just set up Windows 10 following the instructions, there aren't really any pitfalls. But make sure to turn off the telemetry if you're not a fan of that. And don't forget to mute Cortana.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

9 minutes ago, Blitz4 said:

Any advice for a win10 n00b to help my brother out would be appreciated greatly.

How to install Windows 10:

You'd have to download the ISO file from Microsoft's website onto a USB (you can do this on a seperate PC). Plug your USB drive into your new PC, and turn on your new PC. Then enter the BIOS and boot off the USB stick. Then go through the installation process (it's pretty straightforward, keep clicking "next").

As for activation, you can buy Windows from Microsoft (or sites like Kinguin) or just leave it unactivated (but then you can't change your background wallpaper).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Installing windows 10 is like installing windows 7 except once you've finished installation you need to disable, tune and uninstall half of the OS to make it somewhat usable

pro tip: you can't disable or even pause updates so prepare to get 999 ping right when you're playing an online ranked match, then get reported by your team, the enemy team and banned 21 days from playing ranked because you went AFK

honestly if the board you'll be using has compatible W7 drivers I'd just install W7 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

30 minutes ago, Blitz4 said:

Hi. I've been working on a build for my brother today and the final piece arrives today.  I've never installed or used Windows 10 and vaguely rember a comment on one of LTT's video. iirc, they mentioned to not register win10 with a microsoft acct or wait until its installed to enter the key. I dont remember.

Nonsense. There is no tricks or complications with Windows 10. The installation process is very similar to previous versions of Windows.

If you use Microsoft Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10) to get Windows 10 setup and prepare a USB flash drive with it so that you can just boot from it on the system you are building, you'll get the latest version of Windows 10, and that will get you started quicker.

Windows 10 is similar to Windows 7. The only difference to note is that the Control Panel is essentially dead, and replaced (mostly) with the new Settings panels. You can find it by simply going to Start > Settings (Gear icon on the side).

The moment Windows 10 is installed, and you have created your first account and logged in, Windows 10 will automatically start doing the following things:

• Check for updates.
  • Check for updated of drivers and install anything missing in terms of drivers that was not in the setup as it is now online.
  • Updates the built-in apps.
  • Start indexing the system for the search feature.

My advice, is to not do anything important until the updates are done to have a smooth experience, and avoid doing things, like downloading some drivers, and by the time you want to install it, Windows is already installing it from Windows Update, and things like that.

You can check the status of things, by having:

• No more "down" arrow on the Start menu
  • If you go Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and with the Check for Updates, nothing shows up
  • If you open the Store app, you go "..." button at the top right, and pick: Download & updates. Then click on "Get updates" and it shows that everything is updated.

The process can take a few minutes to several, all depending on your internet speed and system specifications.

10 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Installing windows 10 is like installing windows 7 except once you've finished installation you need to disable, tune and uninstall half of the OS to make it somewhat usable

Huh?

pro tip: you can't disable or even pause updates so prepare to get 999 ping right when you're playing an online ranked match, then get reported by your team, the enemy team and banned 21 days from playing ranked because you went AFK

What?

I believe certain Windows 10 keys (OEM keys) need to be activated at installation and that it doesn't give you the option to activate later.

Last time I installed Windows I had this issue. I tried to activate after I had already installed and started setting things up. It wouldn't accept my key. I had to format and then reinstall and activate with the key when prompted during the installation process.

So I guess it depends on the kind of key you have.

(Unless there's some kind of trick I don't know about?)

37 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Huh?

What?

tried it once and after 4 days of updating I thought I could chill and play some DOTA but nope 6 mins into the game I got an "important update" and not only my game lagged af because it takes 100% bandwidth and there's no way to cancel it (not even a restart) but it decided it was good to shutdown my PC while I was still at the game trying to do something with my hero teleporting through the map due to my ping.

That OS is just a bad meme

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

9 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Using a Microsoft account is rubbish, use a local account instead.

Why is it rubish?

tried it once and after 4 days of updating I thought I could chill and play some DOTA but nope 6 mins into the game I got an "important update" and not only my game lagged af because it takes 100% bandwidth and there's no way to cancel it (not even a restart) but it decided it was good to shutdown my PC while I was still at the game trying to do something with my hero teleporting through the map due to my ping.

Is this what you were looking for?

722281052_Annotation2019-02-15194212.png.284bc98332f4635676d1eb2b582d6066.png

and

1285017495_Annotation2019-02-15194724.png.3140a606187f41f36c93a343c86010e0.png

Thank you for the advice! I don't know what else to say.

One question I have and I remember Linus covered this in a video. My gpu was delayed in transit until monday, thats the last piece. If I install win10 oem using the integrated gpu, what are the odds that win10 will de-activate once I install the proper gpu.

Is the only way around the de-activation (if using a local acct) to wipe the drive and reinstall?

Oh, that.

LTT does a lot of hardware testing, which involves mixing and matching a lot of motherboards, CPUs, memory, graphics cards etc.  Windows' DRM assigns itself to a given hardware configuration, so if you do a lot of that hardware swapping, it'll invalidate the Windows license you're using, and as time goes on this has been getting to be more and more of a pain in the neck.  So for LTT's test bench rigs (not their production machines), it's just more practical to run Windows non-activated in their somewhat unique use case.  That video exists to explain something viewers noticed in some of their videos, rather than to advise viewers.  For the typical Windows user who is going to buy/build a machine and then leave it pretty much alone hardware wise, there is no benefit to not activating Windows.

Yea, even in his video, swapping a video card didn't trigger the de-activation watermark. But he said it did in an earlier test. I read elsewhere that it's mainly triggered from motherboard or boot drive swaps. It's weird.

Yea, don't. I mean, you can, it should be fine, At worst, you can do a phone activation.

If you use a Microsoft linked account, then it is of no problem, but the product key will be linked to that account. So be sure the MS account you enter is of the owner of the system.

But to reduce trouble and have a smooth experience, I would just wait for your hardware.

8 hours ago, Blitz4 said:

I've never installed or used Windows 10.

Wow, this is refreshing. I've never heard that before. 

First you need to purchase a windows license key BUT if you have a windows laptop or any OEM machine pretty sure you can grill a Microsoft representative into giving you an OEM key free of charge. Just tell them you wish to transfer license from your old laptop/desktop to your new system. 

Get a windows installer. Just Google windows 10 installer and it should take you to the right Microsoft website. Create a windows installer USB stick with it.

Then if your system drives are blank, just plug in your USB drive and your computer motherboard bios should directly boot you into Windows install.

Just curious, what operating system have you been using if not windows?

Edit: Never mind. You had used windows before, just not the 10. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Huh?

What?

He is not wrong... Somewhat?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

Just curious, what operating system have you been using if not windows?

Me: Win7, Manjaro & Android.

My brother: Android & PS4.

7 minutes ago, Blitz4 said:

Me: Win7, Manjaro & Android.

My brother: Android & PS4.

What are you brother going to use the system for. My previous advice(about the free OEM key) won't work if any of your old machine do not have windows 10 install on them. 

A retail version of Windows license is a ludicrous $100+ which is Microsoft way of ripping off all the custom pc builders. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I'm going to dual boot elementary OS for bro. I hope it works out for him.

I got this weird feeling, I'm going to be spending days learning Win10 and setting it up vs a couple hours of messing with elementary.

Just now, Blitz4 said:

I'm going to dual boot elementary OS for bro. I hope it works out for him.

I got this weird feeling, I'm going to be spending days learning Win10 and setting it up vs a couple hours of messing with elementary.

Do you have windows 10 key already? I do not see the reason of purchasing license if you are more familiar with Linux. I used to have a windows 10 retail license key years back. I have never touch it sense. I felt more at home on Ubuntu and Arch.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 minutes ago, wasab said:

What are you brother going to use the system force. My previous advice(about the free OEM key) won't work if any of your old machine do not have windows 10 install on them. 

A retail version of Windows license is a ludicrous $100+ which is Microsoft way of ripping off all the custom pc builders. 

Bro is going to use the system todo what android and his ps4 can't. He isn't 100% sure what that is, as this is his first desktop pc in forever. I assume web surfing and youtube primarily, gaming and eventually video encoding/editing drone videos.

This is the first Win10 key that we own. Oem win10 was priced at $110, which was way already way too much, the retail version was more. I never had an issue with my oem win7.

Side note, you're probably aware, check out the current hardware survey on Steam, 28% are on Win7, 64% on Win10. This is the last year of Win7 support updates, and MS doesn't sell Win8.1 anymore. That's a lot of Win10 copies that are going to be installed this year.

12 minutes ago, Blitz4 said:

Bro is going to use the system todo what android and his ps4 can't. He isn't 100% sure what that is, as this is his first desktop pc in forever. I assume web surfing and youtube primarily, gaming and eventually video encoding/editing drone videos.

This is the first Win10 key that we own. Oem win10 was priced at $110, which was way already way too much, the retail version was more. I never had an issue with my oem win7.

Side note, you're probably aware, check out the current hardware survey on Steam, 26% are on Win7, 64% on Win10. This is the last year of Win7 support updates, and MS doesn't sell Win8.1 anymore. That's a lot of Win10 copies that are going to be installed this year.

You already brought the key, unless you wish to return it, I guess you need to learn windows 10.

My tips for you...

1) During the installation and configuration, turn off ALL the privacy collecting options or else Microsoft is literally going to spy on you wherever you are online. 

2) shut Cortana down, unless you want her to creepily spy on you for Microsoft. Yes, using her will enable all the privacy spying features. Do note, even if you disable her, she will take up a huge chunk of your system resources regardless.

3) Windows 10 store is absolutely GARBAGE. There is no point of you signing up for a Microsoft account because Windows store is literally what it is practically use for. I mean you can also use it to register Microsoft office and such but you don't have to. 

4) disable all the autostarts. This includes one drive, skype, or whatever else if you do not use them.

5) first few hours of it after install will be automatic driver installation and force updates. Make sure you can live without any high bandwidth usage during these hours because Windows update will eat up huge amounts of your internet downloads. Like a poster above said, your ping is gonna dip if you are to multiplayer game. 

6) install AMD and Nvidia drivers manually from the vendor website. The video drivers provided by Microsoft updates are all GARBAGE. 

7) do your self a favor and replace Microsoft edge with a proper web browser.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

37 minutes ago, wasab said:

Do you have windows 10 key already? I do not see the reason of purchasing license if you are more familiar with Linux. I used to have a windows 10 retail license key years back. I have never touch it sense. I felt more at home on Ubuntu and Arch.  

I felt the same way, but he may make money on the PC in the future, so had to buy a full key instead of those $20 keys. Already bought the key. $110 is about 10% of the total cost of this computer. But he wanted Windows, it's all he's ever used, his drone programs are Windows only, it's his call. Plus I have lots of free Windows games for him.

This computer is a lot of firsts for him, his first desktop computer since 2004, first SSD, he's only used WindowsXP and Android, first experience with the current PC gaming market, first gaming experience over 60 Hz, first time browsing the web on a modern desktop, first time using Linux. I'm going to use ADB to remove the bloatware from his tablet & phone via his new computer. When I last did mine, Samsung's drivers didn't work in Windows, thus I may have a reason to show him a benefit of Linux making his other devices faster.

I maybe more familiar with Linux than Win10, he's not. What happens when he plugs in an unsupported device or changes the odd setting. I'm hoping Elementary is the distro to go with.