Windows 10

Blitz4
11 minutes ago, Blitz4 said:

Snip

Cool. Be careful when you set up tho. People often mess up grub during Linux-Windows dual boot installation. 

Install Windows first and then do the Linux dual boot install. Make sure you select installing elemtary os alongside existing OS and you should be good to go. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Thanks for your help. Of the 500GB SSD, I'll allocate 400 to Win and 100 unallocated, intended for ElementaryOS.

I have this document walkthrough for the win10 install that I assembled with everybody's help here and other sources. It's nowhere near completion, nor is it 100% accurate, but maybe it'll be of use to someone. I dunno, I just feel like giving back.

Note, I've never touched Win10, so I really have no clue what I'm talking about other than watching videos. The info here may or may not be correct, I make no claim other than my attitute towards win10, which is to approach the OS with a 10 foot pole until I understand exactly what it's doing; tmk, Win10 is in the business of selling your information as stated in their policies, Win10 is the last version of Windows and they have to make money somehow. Below is for an AMD cpu & gpu, Gigabyte mobo.

**) 85 degrees max for gpu & cpu. Test case pressure with smoke and adjust PWM fans accordingly via Gigabyte's APP.

0a) Install Windows

* enter the key

* skip setting up the internet at all, use a local account, do not use a ms account

* disable all bad settings, make sure to scroll and read everything
0b) Once Installed, Fix Windows Updates:
    * start > gear icon > update & security > windows update > advanced > choose how updates are delivered
      set to off & pcs on my local network (don't want to allow peer2peer connections)
    * disable automatic updates. Yes, disable them. Need to know when windows updates the system so can run a tool to keep the new updates from spying on us. Win10 has been claimed, by a trusted youtuber, to re-enable the privacy settings that you had previously disabled after major upates. Yes, disabling automatic updates may make the system & network less secure by not immediately patching known security holes. so be it. But don't ignore the updates, I like to do secure banking and store my personal info on my home network.
    Supposidely the program to stop win10 spying is called o&o shutup 10, which I'm not familiar with. I don't know how o&o shutup 10 & win10 updates work yet, will automate the two asap. When done, you can adjust the bandwidth allocated to windows updates so it doesn't steal your attention.
1a)
    * Follow Step 1 from the Windows10OptimizationandMaintenance.pdf via youtube.com/watch?v=Hdb4iybN8gg
    * > network & internet > wifi-services > turn off all that open hotspots shit
    * > privacy  > general > uncheck all those
    * > speech, inking & typing > turn that shit off to stop cortana from recording everything u say
    * > location > turn off (enable select apps below)
    * > feedback & diagnostics > basic, disable toggle below
    * > notifications & actions > uncheck notifications on lock screen
        check hide notifications when im duplicating my screen
    * > personalization > start > uncheck occasionally show suggestions in start
    * > gaming > game dvr > uncheck record in the bg while i'm playing a game
    * > gaming > game mode > check game mode to on (research ltt, it may help this budget pc, but it'll likely hurt performance if you bought a new gpu)
    * cortana settings in start menu > disable all
    * installing oo shutup 10 will lock most of the other bullshit down
1b) now onto the cool features of win10:
    * > display > night light (this is like flux and will lower the blue light as the sun goes down)
      it does need location services enabled. if uncomforable enabling that, use flux. i'd use flux, its got more features)
2) AMD Ryzen Balance Plan.
    amd.com - see the drivers section and manually download the driver.
3) Motherboard Drivers
4) GPU Drivers
5) Motherboard Apps
6) Motherboard BIOS Updates
    * Read the notes carefully and make sure it increases compatability with your current and future hardware. Most times, once you install a bios update, you can't reverse it.
7) Overclock the Memory & CPU
? Install:
    * Ryzen Master
    * Cinebench
    * MSI Afterburner
9) Lock down Windows 10
    * remember restore points
    * install: oo shutup 10
    * disable cortana from listening to you
    * disable microsoft spying on you the best way possible in Win10 Home
    * etc... 
10) Security based apps
    * Enable the windows firewall, understand how to disable or port forward through it
    * use windows defender
    * Setup a pin for your account, instead of a password
    * App to lock down passwords
11) Customize Windows
    * do you want the old or new image viewer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7HwZrQxh08&t=6m45s)
    * enable god mode
    * ctrl+scroll on desktop to resize icons
    * setup power config, monitor-off/sleep/hibernate/auto-shutoff
    * goto startup tab in task manager to turn off what you don't want
    * > apps > uninstall apps you don't want via ccleaner/pc decrapifier/revo uninstaller/power shell
    * > apps > default apps > chrome/vlc/etc..
    * storage sense / link your download folder to where you want to store your downloads
    * win10 has virtual desktops!! (Win+Ctrl+D and cycle with Win+Ctrl+Left/Right and close Win+Ctrl+F4)
    * don't backup the system here, but do backup the system in step 14
12) Install all other apps (ninite helps automate this):
    * Chrome, Firefox, TreeSize, Discord, Skype*, 7-Zip, VLC, Spotify*, Java8, Paint.net, uTorrent*, Evernote*, Google Earth, Dropbox, Google Backup & SYnc, Everything Search, Steam, GOG, Origin, Twitch, use steam to get DS4 working via bluetooth, Notepad++ (replace notepad.exe with this)
    [stuff from step above] ccleaner/pc decrapifier/revo uninstaller
    technet.microsoft.com
        * Autoruns for windows
        * Process explorer
13) Windows Explorer:
    * check file name extensions & hidden items
    * View > Options > Open file explorer to this pc
    * show hidden files
14) Keep a chart nearby of the Hotkeys for Windows to gradually learn them
    * Ctrl+Shift+ESC, Win+E, Win+D, Win+Arrows
   https://www.windowscentral.com/best-windows-10-keyboard-shortcuts
15*)backups
    * remember restore points
    * dvd images are useless
    * macrium reflect or windows backup to backup your entire pc after you got it how you like it
      create system image, backup an entire copy of the drive to the backup device, it will be compressed
16*)if you need a full-recovery
    * use the usb key with win10 in uefi OR the DVD. select the following options
        repair computer > troubleshoot > system image recovery > windows 10 > select the image that it finds, 
        exclude the drives you don't want wiped, including usb drives that don't want wiped
17*)partial-recovery
    * ?
18) Steam Libraries
    * ?
19) Maintenance
    * windows memory diagnostic (test for bad ram, unsure if it checks vram or cpu cache)