What do you look for in a desk?

dylandylandylan

Hey guys!

I'm looking for a new desk, and when you guys are on the hunt for a new one, what do you look for?

I wouldn't mind just buying an IKEA one, but it's all online sales here only, so mark up is quite high.

At the moment, the one I'm looking at is this one;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/lounge-dining-hall/desks/auction-684541973.htm

#!

It depends what I'm using it for. Just figure out what you want to put where.

For example, the legs on the table you linked have a brace that connects them and can get in the way if you want to put a tower or some sort of cabinet between the legs.

I generally just make sure it fits well wherever you plan to put it and that it has ample room for everything you want to put on it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

one that has a nice sturdy top, big, black and white (Coz I like the contrast), nice strong legs and places to route cables. Hope this helps?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

It has to be massive, So I can put my pc on it, aswell as my not so mini hi fi.
Also it has to be really sturdy and not jiggly, because I play racing games with a dfgt and the force feedback does make it a necessity.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

It depends what I'm using it for. Just figure out what you want to put where.

For example, the legs on the table you linked have a brace that connects them and can get in the way if you want to put a tower or some sort of cabinet between the legs.

I generally just make sure it fits well wherever you plan to put it and that it has ample room for everything you want to put on it.

Yeah it's quite hard to decide with these flat pack kits online, because none of them have warehouses to go and have a look at the real size of the unit, I guess I could always mock something up and go from there. 

I'm going to be using this one as my computer desk, the sizing of the top surface shouldn't matter too much because I'll be using vesa mounting points for my monitors, so they can just swing out of the way, but I do have a lot of peripherals, mixer, mic, amp .. hmm.

#!

Yeah it's quite hard to decide with these flat pack kits online, because none of them have warehouses to go and have a look at the real size of the unit, I guess I could always mock something up and go from there. 

I'm going to be using this one as my computer desk, the sizing of the top surface shouldn't matter too much because I'll be using vesa mounting points for my monitors, so they can just swing out of the way, but I do have a lot of peripherals, mixer, mic, amp .. hmm.

Just use the dimensions from the specs to figure out the spacing.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'll second the massive part.

I have to be able to have 2 monitors. keyboard, mouse, speakers and a laser printer, and a lamp on it without it feeling crowded. I also need room to write on a large note pad if needed.

My next desk will have to be even bigger so I'm thinking about going the Ikea route and putting it in the corner with a 5' wing off each side.

A tape measure will be your best friend. Find the size you want, and then go one up. Sounds like you've got a fair amount of stuff to stow on there.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Enough height and decent build quality is what I'd seek for.

Build quality and depth 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I look for one made of rich mahogany, stacked with many leather-bound books :D

Looking for a job

Over the years, I have bought many desk, everything from a cheap desk you can buy at Walmart to Bush office furniture that's around $1000 to the $4000 National Furniture office desk i have now. Walmart type desk are cheap and very flimsy, the Bush furniture is very well built but they build their desk with compacted saw dust and a very thick laminate panels, for all the sides and a really good solid top with laminate covering it. Once you start getting into the $2000 range of desk you really learn what craftsmanship really means, you get full solid wood all the way around, self retracting drawers, clear coat top finishes that are a dream to clean and hard to damage.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Over the years, I have bought many desk, everything from a cheap desk you can buy at Walmart to Bush office furniture that's around $1000 to the $4000 National Furniture office desk i have now. Walmart type desk are cheap and very flimsy, the Bush furniture is very well built but they build their desk with compacted saw dust and a very thick laminate panels, for all the sides and a really good solid top with laminate covering it. Once you start getting into the $2000 range of desk you really learn what craftsmanship really means, you get full solid wood all the way around, self retracting drawers, clear coat top finishes that are a dream to clean and hard to damage.

If I had that kind of money I'd make one myself to tell you the truth! 

#!

If I had that kind of money I'd make one myself to tell you the truth! 

In all honesty, depending on what your looking for it might cost around the same, if I would have built the desk that I have now, it would have cost $3200, trust me I was really thinking of trying to save as much money the best that i could, but I found out that real oak wood ( especially when you want it in cheery ) is extremely expensive and I personally did not have the right tools to make my own desk at the time, so the extra $800, I feel was worth it because buying the tools to do it my self would have cost around $1400. I do agree though, in most cases when you are messing with anything under $2000 and you already have all the right tools, it is so worth it to Just build the desk your self.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "