Arris SB6190 - Puma 6 Fix?

Kensu

So I've been wondering what has been the source to all my connection stability problems throughout the past year and finally come across the Puma 6 chip problem. 

Has there been a fix for this?

The biggest annoyance from this is getting dropped from Discord calls randomly. I cannot hear anyone but they can hear me still. I've changed out every piece of network equipment other than the modem, and finally, come to realize it's the stupid chipset. I have read there's supposed to be a fix but cannot find out how to install it. 

I don't believe those chips have an actual fix, the best info I can find says there's just some minimal mitigation, and it can't be done once the chip is installed. You may be able to get a different modem either from your ISP or just buy one yourself and replace the modem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

6 minutes ago, Kensu said:

So I've been wondering what has been the source to all my connection stability problems throughout the past year and finally come across the Puma 6 chip problem. 

No, Puma 6 never gained all that much traction and some of its vulnerabilities were never addressed, like e.g. there's a DoS-vulnerability there that's pretty easy to exploit. I had to use a Puma 6 - based modem myself for several years and I ended up buying a separate router and just set the modem to act as a bridge -- that made it a lot more stable as the router was the one doing all the hard work, the modem simply acted as a dumb pipe.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I've had to replace so many modems over the years because the firmware stops getting supported or an issue like this arrises. Used to not be a problem. Idk what happened. I'm looking at the CM1000 from Netgear now. Do you have any recommendations? 

2 minutes ago, Kensu said:

Do you have any recommendations? 

My recommendation is to check if your modem can be changed to a bridge and, if yes, buying a proper router. I can't comment on other cable-modems, I've only ever had the one and I don't need it anymore.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

25 minutes ago, Kensu said:

The biggest annoyance from this is getting dropped from Discord calls randomly. I cannot hear anyone but they can hear me still. I've changed out every piece of network equipment other than the modem, and finally, come to realize it's the stupid chipset. I have read there's supposed to be a fix but cannot find out how to install it. 

Honestly they have promised a fix over a year ago. Its to the point that Arris is getting sued. Honestly even if there were a fix you have to rely on your ISP to push the firmware, its not something you can do yourself. If you need a 32 channel cable modem Id suggest getting a Docsis 3.1 modem, they all use broadcom chips from what I read and dont have issues like the Intel chips do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.