Should I buy this CPU on eBay?

Link: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/123600179705

I'm overly paranoid when it comes to online trading on marketplaces, but they seem like the only places where this CPU is found

Password:WNcry@2ol7

ʟᴀᴘᴛᴏᴘ:ᴄᴘᴜ.i7-3630QM @ 2.4GHz||ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ.8GB DDR3||ɢᴘᴜ.NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M||ᴍʙ.ASUS N76VJ||sᴛᴏʀᴀɢᴇ.750GB HDD

it's a reputable seller, so you should be fine.

if you are really paranoid you could go buy the CPU yourself, and take your rig with you so you can install it right there and test if it still works. i did this with my old Z97 system when i upgraded to a 4770K

I would go for it, you use paypal right? They always side with the buyer if something goes wrong.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

it's in the UK I'm in Netherlands so going there is not an option. I have almost no experience with eBay, only bought some cheap WoW TCG cards a long time ago.. I read these horror stories in which scammers manage to work around the buyers protection service, not sure how much of this is true ><

ʟᴀᴘᴛᴏᴘ:ᴄᴘᴜ.i7-3630QM @ 2.4GHz||ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ.8GB DDR3||ɢᴘᴜ.NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M||ᴍʙ.ASUS N76VJ||sᴛᴏʀᴀɢᴇ.750GB HDD

What are you planning on using the system for?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What are you planning on using the system for?

I really want to build a workstation that can run multiple VMs as well as rendering/compiling stuff and overclocking the CPU and I can't seem to find satisfaction by going for the i9-9900K... which feels more like a gaming solution and games are #2 priority especially for 1440p.. I've been struggling with this pc plan for months, bought some parts last year then dropped it for a while until I started hardcore research / learning / working on this build since a few weeks ago. If 7980XE was commonly available, would probably have bought it by now. although bit insecure about delidding process placing so much money at risk

8 minutes ago, WannaCrypt said:

I really want to build a workstation that can run multiple VMs as well as rendering/compiling stuff and overclocking the CPU and I can't seem to find satisfaction by going for the i9-9900K... which feels more like a gaming solution and games are #2 priority especially for 1440p.. I've been struggling with this pc plan for months, bought some parts last year then dropped it for a while until I started hardcore research / learning / working on this build since a few weeks ago. If 7980XE was commonly available, would probably have bought it by now. although bit insecure about delidding process placing so much money at risk

Not to make it any more difficult for you, but have you considered threadripper? The extra cores may be beneficial if you're running a lot of VMs. Your rendering times will depend on whether or not the software you're using prefers clock speed or core count, so you might want to do a bit of research in to what works best for your needs. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

have you considered threadripper

Yes, but from what I could gather Skylake X models have a somewhat better single core performance so it has a bit more of both worlds (gaming + WS) which I prefer

eBay is great for buyer protection.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.  It's safer than any other market I know of for used components.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I've bought used 5820k, 7600 and 7700 cpus on ebay, none of them had any issues. As others have mentioned ebay and Paypal pretty much cater exclusively to the buyer, I've had people try to scam me because of how buyer-centric those sites are (IE I sold something, buyer tried to claim that it was broken etc when it definitely was not - huge PITA to prove my innocence).

currently using the 7700 delidded with LM applied in my SFF TV PC and it's great, the 7600 is on file server duty in the basement basically idling its life away for the last 2 months.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

7 hours ago, WannaCrypt said:

Link: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/123600179705

I'm overly paranoid when it comes to online trading on marketplaces, but they seem like the only places where this CPU is found

No, of course not. 

Depending on what you have right now, you should wait until Ryzen 3000 and not get a totally overpriced Intel CPU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Thanks for the recommends, i guess it's mostly paranoia that's stopping me from buying on eBay. I should try buying something smaller/cheaper at least once if not this processor. I've been having doubts considering the fact one needs to delid it to even make it work

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Depending on what you have right now, you should wait until Ryzen 3000 and not get a totally overpriced Intel CPU.

Thank you -- you made me look into Ryzen 3000 again

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-specs-prices-leaked-upto-16-cores-5-1ghz-on-am4/

Seeing this list makes me actually consider waiting for once, Ryzen 9 3850X ...if that's true that'll beat everything lol

16 cores. 5.1 clock speed, better than anything currently out at least

18 minutes ago, WannaCrypt said:

better than anything currently out at least

You'd expect that from a major die shrink though, with some improvements of the architecture...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You'd expect that from a major die shrink though, with some improvements of the architecture...

yes, that makes sense