Vega 56 or rtx 2060

Gohardgrandpa
Go to solution Solved by mxk,
9 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Vega 56 + power table mod, hands down.

Higher performance than 2060, closer to (if not better than) 2070.

I wouldn't do that until the OP gets a better PSU, to be honest.

@Gohardgrandpa the vega 56 you're asking about has superb cooling. 

I had a rx580 8gb card that I was happy with but sold to a buddy to help out so he could start pc gaming and now I need to get a new card. 

Ryzen 7 1800x, cm lite Aio cooler, msi b350 tomahawk, 16gb ddr 4 3000mhz ram, EVGA 600bq power supply. Aoc g2590fx 144hz freesync/adaptive sync monitor, 500gb evo 850 ssd, 2tb seagate hdd and 4 120mm case fans is what I have system wise. 

Im torn between the PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 that’s $329 with the 3 free games and the rtx 2060 for $349. Budget is $375 max 

I play pub g, black ops 4, battlefield 5 and the fallout franchise at 1080p. I’ll get the division 2 regardless of the card I get so the Vega is appealing with the 3 free games. I have no plans to up my resolution, I actually prefer the 1080p 144hz monitor 

What card would you get in my shoes and why? 

I get to wrapped up in this kind of stuff and kinda need a push in the right direction. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

I would get the Radeon VII

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

15 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

I would get the Radeon VII

what the fuck?

I'm going to be blunt, that's a pretty hecking bad suggestion. Did you even read the post?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

9 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

2 minutes ago, mxk. said:

You can tune the power table to fall within your PSU limits.  The rest of the system is only pulling ~200w and just modding the power table (without changing voltage) does not blow out your power usage too bad.

Can't go wrong with either of them. 

I probably take Vega 56 because i want to buy all 3 games. If you have no plan to buy those games then get 2060.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The red dragon was the cheapest one I found with the 3 games and it looked to have a very nice cooler.

I can stretch the budget to $400 if I need to get a new power supply. I don’t plan on overclocking unless it’s going to be very beneficial 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

4 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

The red dragon was the cheapest one I found with the 3 games and it looked to have a very nice cooler.

I can stretch the budget to $400 if I need to get a new power supply. I don’t plan on overclocking unless it’s going to be very beneficial 

OC is VERY beneficial to V56.  Takes it from 2060 levels of performance to over 2070 levels.  In AMD card terms, it pushes performance above the stock V64 AFAIK.

32 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I had a rx580 8gb card that I was happy with but sold to a buddy to help out so he could start pc gaming and now I need to get a new card. 

Ryzen 7 1800x, cm lite Aio cooler, msi b350 tomahawk, 16gb ddr 4 3000mhz ram, EVGA 600bq power supply. Aoc g2590fx 144hz freesync/adaptive sync monitor, 500gb evo 850 ssd, 2tb seagate hdd and 4 120mm case fans is what I have system wise. 

Im torn between the PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 that’s $329 with the 3 free games and the rtx 2060 for $349. Budget is $375 max 

I play pub g, black ops 4, battlefield 5 and the fallout franchise at 1080p. I’ll get the division 2 regardless of the card I get so the Vega is appealing with the 3 free games. I have no plans to up my resolution, I actually prefer the 1080p 144hz monitor 

What card would you get in my shoes and why? 

I get to wrapped up in this kind of stuff and kinda need a push in the right direction. 

See if your main criteria is 1080 144fps on FPS and less graphically demanding games with slight tweaking even a rx 580 can push that hard (screwing the visuals by a bit ) . Can I suggest you a second hand vega 64?

The rx580 was doing a good job. I only sold it to a friend for cheap to help him out and get him into pc gaming and away from the crap box one we were all using. 

I could always buy a new rx580 for cheap and get the division 2 with it but where’s the fun in that. I’m just grateful I’m in a good enough place to where I can help a good friend out and have money to buy a better video card 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:31 PM, mxk. said:

If I stretch the budget to $400 could I get the Vega 56 and a better psu to overclock it or is that a pipe dream ? 

If not I’m ok with it either way

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 minute ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

If I stretch the budget to $400 could I get the Vega 56 and a better psu to overclock it or is that a pipe dream ? 

If not I’m ok with it either way

Nope, that is a valid approach.  You will be getting ~2070 performance for similar or less money.

50 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

YAY Power table fun (: Got my 64 beating every userbenchmark RTX 2070 and on par with the average RTX 2080!

blah.jpg.9b4574f9448038d7671030af10b9f555.jpg

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

3 hours ago, mxk. said:

what the fuck?

I'm going to be blunt, that's a pretty hecking bad suggestion. Did you even read the post?

I got chewed apart for suggesting a better power supply in another thread.  LOL, that's not my problem because I know the people suggesting wont change their mind

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |

You will have dlss for pubg on the rtx 2060 higher res with higher frames bruh

5 hours ago, THraShArD said:

I got chewed apart for suggesting a better power supply in another thread.  LOL, that's not my problem because I know the people suggesting wont change their mind

Point is, you suggested a card $300 over the OPs budget and its overkill for his(her?) needs.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

It's nonsense, kid wants to play division 2.  $300 is not going to do any justice

I tried the division beta before I got rid of the rx580 and it ran the game on medium just fine.

obviously medium ain’t gonna cut it.  

What power supply would you suggest I get with the Vega 56? I’m going to order it from Newegg. 

I’ll l buy the psu and Vega 56 today, I just found out my other buddy is using a 430 watt EVGA psu with a 1050ti and he wants a new card so I’ll give him my 600 watt EVGA and bite the bullet here. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

i would go for the rtx 2060. its a newer card. it will get better drivers. + dlss support which boosts performance allot. Thus when that comes to most of the games you will have more fps. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

4 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

i would go for the rtx 2060. its a newer card. it will get better drivers. + dlss support which boosts performance allot. Thus when that comes to most of the games you will have more fps. 

NV does not have a good record of getting faster with drivers.  That is AMDs shtick.

7 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I’ll give him my 600 watt EVGA and bite the bullet here. 

The 600W EVGA B is not any better and also pretty bad for VEGA.

Minimum is something like be quiet System Power 9 or U9, if available.

The next is Mid Range/Entry Level gold.

And there aren't many good PSU that are relatively cheap.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I tried the division beta before I got rid of the rx580 and it ran the game on medium just fine.

IIRC I ran it on high or max on my RX480 and it ran rather well.

The Division is a rather well performing game, compared to for example AC: Odyssey.

What power supply would you suggest I get with the Vega 56? I’m going to order it from Newegg. 

I’ll l buy the psu and Vega 56 today, I just found out my other buddy is using a 430 watt EVGA psu with a 1050ti and he wants a new card so I’ll give him my 600 watt EVGA and bite the bullet here. 

be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Whisper M, if possible something in that range.

The Wattage is less important, its about the Quality of the PSU...

So for the be quiet the 550W is more than enough, though I don't have a VEGA (yet), that's planned for next Month...

Bitfenix Whisper M is also an option (and remember: CPU and GPU Connectors on the Whisper M are the same).

Here's a great deal on an overkill psu

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182408&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

9 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I would get at least a 650w PSU. Although you may not need it, you never know.. I literally bought the Vega 56 first and then returned it later after I found a good deal on the liquid Vega 64, never thought I was going to do that. They are power hungry. 

For some reason, you can't explain this to some people and they still go on to recommend the minimum wattage you would want or need. Obviously quality matters, but so does wattage. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

3 hours ago, TheDankKoosh said:

no

because:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail.html

That happens if your PSU is too big and something bad happens...

And I don't know who makes it, if they changed it until you got it.

And its probably very loud as many 1kW+ PSU are.

1 hour ago, ChewToy! said:

I would get at least a 650w PSU. Although you may not need it, you never know..

God I hate  this "you never know" argument.
Because you never know if you can use the PSU with the Next motherboard as ATX is on its deathbed and utter garbage for modern Systems as it doesn't do what is needed for modern Boards.

What's needed is 12V and maybe 5VSB to the Board and that's it. (of course the Control lines).

Nobody needs 5V and 3,3V on the Motherboard.

Thus, with its 23 Years or so, it will be phased out sooner than later, so the "never know" thing makes little sense.

For some reason, you can't explain this to some people and they still go on to recommend the minimum wattage you would want or need. Obviously quality matters, but so does wattage. 

Do you have any proof of your claim or not??

Because I have this:

DSC_4247Andere.md.jpg

So a Manufacturer guarantees 24/7 Operation at rated power (wich is legally binding).

And what do you have??

VEGA can cause Problems with any PSU, regardless of Wattage. "moar Watt" doesn't mean more safe, longer lifetime or anything. It just means more Watt.

And in some cases (Bitfenix Whisper M) comes with ~50% higher fan RPM under lower load conditions...

More Watt also comes with some disadvantages!

And in some cases its the same unit with minor differences that are only important for the 110VAC Regions!