Vega 56 or rtx 2060

Gohardgrandpa
Go to solution Solved by mxk,
9 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Vega 56 + power table mod, hands down.

Higher performance than 2060, closer to (if not better than) 2070.

I wouldn't do that until the OP gets a better PSU, to be honest.

@Gohardgrandpa the vega 56 you're asking about has superb cooling. 

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You act like the price difference between 550 and 650 will make or break a build. 

Obviously using an incompatible motherboard won't work. 

I didn't say more watts mean anything related to longer life or whatever, only that more watts can't hurt. Can more watts hurt? I would never recommend a 1000w when 650w would do, soo...

What system are you using 850 watts for? 

Let's do this, what's the minimum PSU wattage you would  recommend for OPs build with a Vega 56? I think if 550w is the minimum you would use on a build like this, than 650 is a safe bet, no? 

P. S. I like reading your posts and agree with a lot of them. Seriously not trying to argue as you clearly know more than I do about power supplies (among other things).. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

9 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Single rail can be just as safe if it has protections that are not trash.  You can get single rail PSUs that have per lead OCP instead of per rail OCP.

That's totally NOT True!

And you also describe a MULTI RAIL PSU in your latter half of the post!

Single Rail means that it has a single OCP point or none at all.

If you have multiple OCP points, like you describe, we are talking about a Multi Rail unit.

Multi Rail = Breaker in your Breaker Box (just that it switches off the whole PSU if it is overloaded).

Single Rail is what happened in the Link...

9 hours ago, ChewToy! said:

You act like the price difference between 550 and 650 will make or break a build. 

Depending on the Unit that might as well be the case!

As higher wattage units with the same Plattform tend to be louder than lower wattage units.

And in some cases you get the same unit anyway, just with minor changes in the Primary area - wich is irrelevant in 230VAC.

In other cases you get a louder Unit.

And in other Cases you don't get any benefit at all.

Its not as simple as you claim, and there are some serious disadvantages in some cases from getting a higher wattage unit...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's totally NOT True!

And you also describe a MULTI RAIL PSU in your latter half of the post!

Single Rail means that it has a single OCP point or none at all.

If you have multiple OCP points, like you describe, we are talking about a Multi Rail unit.

Multi Rail = Breaker in your Breaker Box (just that it switches off the whole PSU if it is overloaded).

Single Rail is what happened in the Link...

Your concept is not reality.  Multi-rail means there are multiple independent 12v power stages, with different FETs driving each.  And its a different thing than single rail with multiple current monitoring shunts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305514-28-multi-rails-single-rail

I have several EPS PSU's that have physically independent 12V rails.  2x for CPUs, 1x for everything else.  If you disassemble a true multi-rail PSU you will find it densely packed with PCB's to fit all of the FETs in the space of the PSU case.

46 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Multi-rail means there are multiple independent 12v power stages, with different FETs driving each. 

No, that's horse shit.

It means you have multiple, independant OCP channels.

Simple as that.

Look here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

In most cases, multiple +12V rails are actually just a single +12V source just split up into multiple +12V outputs each with a limited output capability. 

And its a different thing than single rail with multiple current monitoring shunts.

No, what you are talking about is multiple 12V or double PSU. Wich are rare and never really common.

He's wrong and why should I trust a random person on the Internet, when the founder of Jonnyguru.com _AND_ Multiple Manufacturers disagree with what you are saying?! 

For example:

https://www.bitfenix.com/products/power/whisper-m/

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Power/Plug-Type/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020137-EU

I have several EPS PSU's that have physically independent 12V rails. 

Yes, and?!
Those can be single rail as well...

Having multiple generated 12V Voltages doesn't mean its multi rail, having one doesn't mean its Single Rail.

If you disassemble a true multi-rail PSU you will find it densely packed with PCB's to fit all of the FETs in the space of the PSU case.

Could you stop with that nonsense?!
Nobody uses it in that way. So stop inventing your own things.

Manufacturers and all people interested in PSU don't use it in that way...

So in short: Multi Rail = multiple OCP points.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2/9/2019 at 5:24 PM, Stefan Payne said:

No, that's horse shit.

It means you have multiple, independant OCP channels.

Simple as that. 

Look here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

No, what you are talking about is multiple 12V or double PSU. Wich are rare and never really common.

He's wrong and why should I trust a random person on the Internet, when the founder of Jonnyguru.com _AND_ Multiple Manufacturers disagree with what you are saying?!

Yes, and?!
Those can be single rail as well...

Having multiple generated 12V Voltages doesn't mean its multi rail, having one doesn't mean its Single Rail.

Could you stop with that nonsense?!
Nobody uses it in that way. So stop inventing your own things.

The "multiple rail" BS was a marketing campaign to make power supplies with proper OCP sound better.

There are quite a few server power supplies/systems with true multi-rail 12v regulation.

The only place where it means what you say is in the marketing fluff "enthusiast" market.

I suggest you look up what a voltage or power rail means in EVERY other instance in the EE world.

Here is a hint, it means a voltage output from a regulator.  The term comes from the way schematics used to be drawn with the reference voltages as straight lines at the top of the circuit and the ground as a straight line at the bottom.

Wait the GTX 1660 Ti?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I got my hands on a vega 56 to replace a gtx1070 a few weeks ago. End up losing the lottery. And don't forget The power limit without any mod is already 250w when you set to +50%. There is in fact a price to pay to oc the vega hard. Pushing any more voltage to the core might not be the most effective way to get more flames from the card even you can cool it.

And using a evga B3 650w, the coil whine is quite bad when loading up some game.

All in all a fun card to OC with (except you have to flight with wattman), but not necessarily the choice if you want to just plug and play. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, THraShArD said:

I would get the Radeon VII

Dude. You obviously didn't read the post. The OP's max budget is $375. Get your head out of the sand.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

It's totally out of his range now, I've seen them sell as high at $1,130.00

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

1 hour ago, THraShArD said:

It's totally out of his range now, I've seen them sell as high at $1,130.00

It was out of his range from the getgo. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build