Can intel deny warranty because xmp was enable?

DjQba

my core  i9 7900x rig stop posting with 00 on mb leds. i had never seen a cpu die before, so i send in the motherboard instead. i submit a rma request to intel just in case as well, but they stop replying. I tested the CPU on a new motherboard and find it's actually a cpu issue.... still waiting for intel request answer it been 7 days. Did i blow $1000. any advice on how to proceed if they deny my request?

No, it's not possible to know if XMP was enabled, and even if it was it does not void warranty.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

since when XMP profiles that come with your ram so that it can run at its advertised speeds voids your warranty? just wait for an answer from those RMAs

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Intel won't deny an rma due to XMP profiles. If the CPU itself was damaged or the Socket on the board was damaged causing damage to the CPU then yes it's possible.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

18 minutes ago, DjQba said:

my core  i9 7900x rig stop posting with 00 on mb leds. i had never seen a cpu die before, so i send in the motherboard instead. i submit a rma request to intel just in case as well, but they stop replying. I tested the CPU on a new motherboard and find it's actually a cpu issue.... still waiting for intel request answer it been 7 days. Did i blow $1000. any advice on how to proceed if they deny my request?

Intel are bitchs and good luck with theor customers service , but they better replace it .

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

This was part of his reply.... "In this scenario, due to the warranty policies, any type of overclocking, to RAM or processor, using software or motherboard's tool is not cover under warranty, no matter if the changes on frequencies is huge or little. 

You can check warranty policies at: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005862/processors.html

It's this crazy or what?

53 minutes ago, DjQba said:

This was part of his reply.... "In this scenario, due to the warranty policies, any type of overclocking, to RAM or processor, using software or motherboard's tool is not cover under warranty, no matter if the changes on frequencies is huge or little. 

You can check warranty policies at: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005862/processors.html

It's this crazy or what?

You mentioned that you were using XMP?

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

no proof either was done other than any information provided otherwise.

So in other words: I shouldn't have mentioned that?  xmp was develoved by intel. I would have never guest it will got me in trouble.

3 hours ago, DjQba said:

It's this crazy or what?

Why did you tell them you were using XMP? When you RMA a CPU, all you should say is "The system won't POST. I don't know why. A different CPU with nothing else changed was able to POST it."

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Apparently they can deny you warranty for running XMP. Even though Intel has to certify XMP profiles, they still consider them out of spec as the i9 7900X supports DDR4-2666 out of the box. This is a ploy to sell you their tuning plan which is essentially a warranty for overclocked chips: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

However, if you don't mention that you have overclocked, there's no way they can prove it. Start a new support ticket.

Don't tell Intel that you did. They have the burden of proof. Now, if you really fucked up by upping voltage to 1000v, then I would say otherwise. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Why did you tell them you were using XMP?

Because @DjQba is honest?

Maybe Intel's response is a sign of the times?

AWOL

XMP only affects the RAM, so I would attempt to argue that because the RAM is a different product and that Intel's product, the CPU was not altered or affected in anyway, that they can not void your warranty over that, and also include that XMP is an Intel technology automatically done and make sure to stress in only affects RAM

To me it makes no sense. I wasn't trying to be honest, It truly strike me that company develop sometime to later up tell your are fuck for using it. I wish I knew a lawyer at this point. It will be interesting to listen to what he/she have to say about this. Does AMD have this issue as well? otherwise I'm guessing there is no better time to switch.

5 hours ago, X_X said:

Because @DjQba is honest?

Maybe Intel's response is a sign of the times?

If you put four million volts through it, I wouldn't abuse the RMA system. Also, you'd be looking at a homeowner's insurance claim at that point, because your house is probably gone if you run four million volts through anything. But if the CPU just died without any modifications to voltage on my part, yeah, you bet your ass I wouldn't be saying anything to Intel other than, "The CPU stopped working and won't POST. The system works fine with a different CPU installed. I don't know what's wrong, please help." If they press further, everything was at stock. What the hell business is it of theirs if I make changes to my RAM speed?

1 hour ago, DjQba said:

To me it makes no sense. I wasn't trying to be honest, It truly strike me that company develop sometime to later up tell your are fuck for using it. I wish I knew a lawyer at this point. It will be interesting to listen to what he/she have to say about this. Does AMD have this issue as well? otherwise I'm guessing there is no better time to switch.

Assume that overclocking anything, if the manufacturer finds out, will void your warranty (unless you bought the Intel overclocking warranty). That said, it's very hard for them to find out. Even the BIOS settings on a nonfunctional motherboard, for example, can be wiped by removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds before sending it in for RMA. And there is the good chance that it's a motherboard error. It's very unusual for a CPU to just up and die, especially a newish one like the 7900X.

If it's not the motherboard and Intel didn't have you enter a serial number, scan a receipt or do anything else that would verify the identity of your CPU, I'd just let that ticket roll off, wait a week or two then open a new one for your "other" 7900X. After all, a professional videographer like yourself needs two workstations so you and your partner can each keep rendering footage while editing new material.

Failing that, yeah, Threadripper might not be a bad idea.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

12 hours ago, aisle9 said:

But if the CPU just died without any modifications to voltage on my part, yeah, you bet your ass I wouldn't be saying anything to Intel other than

But we really don't know why the CPU failed, may have been something else altogether. Can Intel prove it was the XMP profile? Maybe a small claims case would be enough, idk.

Wiping CMOS may have worked 15+ years ago but now days settings are stored on the BIOS chip so would be easy to check.

I also think it wouldn't be that hard to have a few bytes of non-volatile memory on the CPU to store highest settings used, just saying.

AWOL

20 hours ago, X_X said:

But we really don't know why the CPU failed, may have been something else altogether. Can Intel prove it was the XMP profile? Maybe a small claims case would be enough, idk.

Wiping CMOS may have worked 15+ years ago but now days settings are stored on the BIOS chip so would be easy to check.

I also think it wouldn't be that hard to have a few bytes of non-volatile memory on the CPU to store highest settings used, just saying.

I would say at least they should take it, studied and reach a decision. so far, still waiting for an rma approval 1 week after submitting the claim. The guy stated they are double checking my invoice. (Newegg)

Intel use to be awesome with their warranty, perhaps profits or lack of them are taking effect. Hope they come round to getting you a replacement.

AWOL

If a computer component breaks, regardless of circumstances, say as little as possible.

"My CPU that I bought in good faith has stopped working, can you please RMA." will suffice.

And when they ask if the CPU was overclocked, respond with "What is an overclock?"

Hey, thank you all so much for your support. They finally agree to replace it; nevertheless, I will follow your advice if i ever need to deal with them or any other RMA.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, DjQba said:

Hey, thank you all so much for your support. They finally agree to replace it; nevertheless, I will follow your advice if i ever need to deal with them or any other RMA.

Thanks.

Dont be afraid, those people do that everyday , If you say ok no rma they win, but if you just insinst they for sure will take things like this

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

This is why I delidded my CPU 

Don't have to worry about warranty anymore.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Plutosaurus said:

This is why I delidded my CPU 

Don't have to worry about warranty anymore.

Maybe you don't but I remember one guy selling his de-lidded CPU only to have it returned as DOA with a couple of caps knocked off. Last I heard he was going to glue the IHS back on and RMA it. :/

@DjQba   Good to hear.

AWOL