Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

5 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Look I am on a budget for things and like to save money but instead of buying some mining card just spend the extra $100 or so to get a new GTX 1060 6 GB and have the warranty and be done with it.  Heck also if you got to go used they are only $200 now used and are the real gaming card.  Also with the cheap AMD offerings out there that perform as well or better the heck with Nvidia. (Coming from a guy that pushed Green Team forever .. PhysX)  Get an RX 570 for $179 or $199 and maybe be lucky to get free games with it and also have a new card.  

You don't seem to get it, these cards are dirt cheap and on Windows 10 they work EXACTLY like a 1060 6Gb. Maybe down the road there will be some games that really don't work on 417.22 drivers but by that time a 1060 may well be irrelevant anyway. Anyone who has a 4th Gen Intel system (or later) with proper video outputs for their monitor would be dumb to spend the extra 100$ just to get a 1060 6Gb instead of a P106.

22 hours ago, papajo said:

I mean what's the issue ?

Driver checks combination "PCI ID + AdapterType value". If PCI ID = mining card and AdapterType is not 2 or 3 -> fail.

10 minutes ago, dartraiden said:

Driver checks combination "PCI ID + AdapterType value". If PCI ID = mining card and AdapterType is not 2 or 3 -> fail.

is there any way to hack?

Hello guys, maybe you can help me. After installing the P106 my Intel® HD Graphics 4600 now works in vga mode and has the yellow exclamation sign. (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use). But the P106 appears to have been installed correctly...

Any suggestions?

I have the Intel Haswell, Core i5 4570 3.2GHz on a MSI H87I AC motherboard running Windows 7.

Please guys, help a brother out! :D

Uninstall both drivers, go to safe mode and DDU both drivers, then load Win 7 normally and install first HD4600 driver then P106 driver.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:49 PM, Saumil said:

is there any way to hack?

Playing with hardware PCI straps on the card for example...

11 minutes ago, dartraiden said:

Playing with hardware PCI straps on the card for example...

also, can we unlock nvenc on this card?

it would be great if we can

So, Has anyone use a EEPROM programmer to flash their P106 to a 1060 so later drivers work? 

3 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

So, Has anyone use a EEPROM programmer to flash their P106 to a 1060 so later drivers work? 

I think it also has some security check, GPU won't boot 

6 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

I have no experience with bios flashing so if someone has, please do try it or show us how, and is it safe? 

18 minutes ago, Saumil said:

I think it also has some security check, GPU won't boot 

We will see i suppose

15 minutes ago, Mirror Reaper said:

I have no experience with bios flashing so if someone has, please do try it or show us how, and is it safe? 

Well I plan on trying it. flashing the Gigabyte Windforce 6GB bios on my P106 its the exact same PCB and even the bioses look similar in a binary compare. I'll let you guys know how it fairs. 

So quick update, the Bios chip on the Gigabyte P106 is a W25Q40EW which requires 1.8V logic to program instead of 3.3V so I'm currently waiting on a 1.8V adapter for my programmer from China, I had it express shipped so hopefully it arrives in 7-14 days as advertised. 

Edit here - So i took a risk of eraceing the eeprom which worked fine, i know it cannot be programmed as the logic is 1.8V and it wont be able to program all the pages with the 3.3v logic but it was able to wipe them.

Using NV flash after wiping it, it skips all checks because the eeprom is erased and it knows it. The only check it does do is the PCI hardware id which is physical. So it wont allow me to flash anythign that doesnt match vendor id 1C07. If we can figure out what resistors and values to change on the card for it to appear as a 1C06 which is the 1060 then all users would need to do is wipe/corrupt the  the eeprom and then it would be able to flash the 1C06 firmware

1 hour ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

The only check it does do is the PCI hardware id which is physical

NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_DEVID_MATCH_LIST_DEVID_MATCH_FAILED

?

Resistors are different between vendors. So you need identical 1066 from the same vendor.

1 hour ago, dartraiden said:

NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_DEVID_MATCH_LIST_DEVID_MATCH_FAILED

?

Resistors are different between vendors. So you need identical 1066 from the same vendor.

I suspect this might be an issue after i force flash the eeprom which is why im looking into the resistors. If anyone has a Gigabyte windforce 1060 6GB some high rez photos of the back around the eeprom would be a start for my comparison. 

Edit:  Also I miss spoke i need to change the 1C07 id to 1C03 as thats the 1060 Windforce hardware id

On 2/11/2019 at 4:03 AM, TheGiolly said:

I tried various values using a 100K potentiometer and it didn't matter what value I chose. If I was pulling up it was 1C47 and I was pulling low it was 1C04.

That's interesting. Which driver are you using? Modded as the Chinese git or modded as LTT video?
This is what I get with self signed driver modded as LTT video.

Annotazione 2019-02-11 102239.jpg

Old post but you mind posting a picture of your board and what resisters you were playing with?

On 4/27/2019 at 3:35 AM, Mirror Reaper said:

You don't need to modify the driver, just download 417.22 from Nvidia's website then open Registry and search for AdapterType or go to this destination and try looking for AdapterType in one of the folders (000, 001, 002..etc) 
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\
now just double click on AdapterType and change it to 4 and hit ok or simply delete AdapterType as a whole. Then below it, you will find EnableMsHybrid double click on it and change it to 1 instead of 0, hit ok, reboot the pc and then open Nvidia control panel and make the P106  the default GPU and you are set to go.

Did anyone managed to find the equivalent of the EnableMsHybrid key for Win7?  Would be awesome to be able to use nvidia control panel on Win 7.

2 hours ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

Old post but you mind posting a picture of your board and what resisters you were playing with?

Palit-GeForce-GTX-1060-3GB-Dual-3GB-GDDR5-(NE51060015F9D)_PCB.jpg.04417f11ffc0eb9ce9725fec92a53db9.jpg

1 minute ago, TheGiolly said:

Palit-GeForce-GTX-1060-3GB-Dual-3GB-GDDR5-(NE51060015F9D)_PCB.jpg.04417f11ffc0eb9ce9725fec92a53db9.jpg

Thats exactly where i suspect mine are by the Crystal, and it looks similar thanks.  layout is a bit different but i have a cluster of resistors in the area of the xtal in a row as well. 

I am confused on how you were pulling them low and high though but im going to mess with this. 

2 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

I am confused on how you were pulling them low and high though but im going to mess with this. 

Just move their position, that's as simple as that (well, if you know how to solder SMD ?)

24 minutes ago, TheGiolly said:

Just move their position, that's as simple as that (well, if you know how to solder SMD ?)

Yeah i understood it just as i took mine apart to look back lol and i can solder so im going to try fiddling. 

R89 R88 R86 and R85 are 100K? they measure 7.8K each but are in parallel 
R95 is 100k R84 is 100k
2019-05-10.jpg

10 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

but are in parallel 

They are not in parallel. One side of them is connected to either GND or VCC but the other sides are all connected to different pins of the GPU (or maybe other complementary components).

9 minutes ago, TheGiolly said:

They are not in parallel. One side of them is connected to either GND or VCC but the other sides are all connected to different pins of the GPU (or maybe other complementary components).

thanks, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this since its under the cooler which is a pain in the ass. 

I wish i could find a clear shot of the Windforce 6GB to see if the resistor config is different. 

I believe the best idea would be to solder some very thin wires and the attach potentiometers to them. This would allow to try many combinations without having to solder every time.

3 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

I believe the best idea would be to solder some very thin wires and the attach potentiometers to them. This would allow to try many combinations without having to solder every time.

I also did that but I couldn't get anything significant to change

Those SMD resistors are often such small values that just the length of wire is enough to change the resistance substantially not to mention a pot being WAY too big of values.