Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

4 hours ago, Aqeel Shahzad said:

Oh crap. I am planning to get a system assembled with p104-100

i was onto building a unique x58 based system. I was hoping if possible get a cheap gpu for display purpose and then use P104-100 for gaming. X58 has no igp support. Any suggestions???

P104 will perform worst than a gtx 760 because it is restricted to run at pcie 1x4, for now, there is no reason to get it over p106 which restricted to pcie 1x8 (but that's okay for this  gpu) and no one knows whether it's a bios restriction or a physical restriction. 
If you want to use it for games you will need a gen 4 or higher cpu otherwise you will be limited to play only OpenGL and Vulkan games. another solution is to use Linux , Pop Os (Nvidia version) works out of the box.  

11 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

P104 will perform worst than a gtx 760 because it is restricted to run at pcie 1x4, for now, there is no reason to get it over p106 which restricted to pcie 1x8 (but that's okay for this  gpu) and no one knows whether it's a bios restriction or a physical restriction. 
If you want to use it for games you will need a gen 4 or higher cpu otherwise you will be limited to play only OpenGL and Vulkan games. another solution is to use Linux , Pop Os (Nvidia version) works out of the box.  

can we use p106 on manjaro linux.

15 hours ago, Echelon9 said:

So of the three major restrictions imposed on these mining cards compared to equivalent Pascal gaming GPUs:

1) no display connectors --> this is hardware imposed, and can be addressed by running a hybrid setup with display connectors on a separate iGPU.

2) restricted RAM --> this is software imposed, and can be addressed by flashing a VBIOS to access all of the physical RAM soldered onto the board.

3) restricted PCIe speed/bandwidth --> ??

This is speculation, but the 3) restriction could possibly be software imposed as well.

I'd be interested to see if anyone with one of these cards is able to increase the PCIe speed/bandwidth in software by setting the RMPcieLinkSpeed registry key to 0x4.

There was a NVIDIA provided tool to set this registry key (at the time it forced PCIe 3.0 or reverted back to PCIe 2.0) around the time NVIDIA released the GeForce GTX 600 series (Kepler class) [0]. You could alternatively avoid the binary executable and just set the registry key manually. See [1] for a steps guide.

[0] https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135/~/geforce-gen3-support-on-x79-platform

[1] https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/732922-post5.html

Interesting. The fact is how can a PCIe Gen 3 card be working as PCIe Gen 1 and even with speed x4. If it was built that way to work only as a Gen 1 x4 but that is ridiculous as the same gfx chip supports full PCIe Gen 3 x16. What im trying saying is it’s obvious it has some kind of restrictions with 1% chance of being hardware disabled. 

The registry hack might be a possible solution but i was thinking of one thing, if a VBIOS flash can enable/unlock memory why not the same bios unlock the remaining lanes.

im sorry i dont know which bios did that ? Gtx1080 bios perhaps ?

15 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

Thats what i thought of after reading 17 pages on this thread. But non the less no body tried on xeons with integrated graphics. If there is such possibility as used xeons are cheap compared to i series cpus

It does not work for me. I have Ivy bridge and Windows 10, Intel HD 4000 iGPU. Monitor is connected using DP @ 120hz.

I can set apps to use the P106, but games ignore the setting.

I tried various methods: registry edits, multiple driver versions, Nvidia profile inspector.

Someone in this thread said i need atleast Haswell on Win10.

Am I missing something?

55 minutes ago, FIlipCZ said:

It does not work for me. I have Ivy bridge and Windows 10, Intel HD 4000 iGPU. Monitor is connected using DP @ 120hz.

I can set apps to use the P106, but games ignore the setting.

I tried various methods: registry edits, multiple driver versions, Nvidia profile inspector.

Someone in this thread said i need atleast Haswell on Win10.

Am I missing something?

Yes, it's been said about a hundred times in this thread, you need a fourth generation Intel CPU or higher.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:46 PM, dexter085 said:

could you post your fps on some games and the settings/resolution please?

I've read that the p106 performs worse with ryzen due to pcie 1x8 chanel usage instead of 1x16, but I am not sure about it, and if it does affect it would be nice to know if it's noticeable

I performed the test and here are the results

Apex: 1080 maxed

Min 35

Max 61

Avg 53

Csgo 1080 maxed

Min 0?

Max 175

Avg 107

Fallout 4 1080 ultra

Avg 60

Time spy 3811

Superposition

1080p medium 5447

Min 34

Max 45

Avg 45

Max temp 55c

1080p extreme

Min 13

Max 19

Avg 16

Max temp 61c

Everything is stock 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone figured out how to get access to nVidia Control Panel in Windows 7 for the P106?

On 6/22/2019 at 4:25 PM, Adr1an_ said:

Anyone figured out how to get access to nVidia Control Panel in Windows 7 for the P106?

Try the same steps as win 10. Change adaptertype to 4 or delete it and right click > new > DWORD (32-bit) name it EnableMsHybrid double click on it and change the value to 1 click ok reboot and try opening Nvidia Control Panel. 

Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am having troubles installing drivers for the p104-100/ using the latest windows 10, mining it paired with a bunch of 1070. every time I plug it in, windows tries to install drivers then it blue screens. any help? ( it works on my main pc)

On 7/7/2019 at 4:51 AM, zane2268 said:

I am having troubles installing drivers for the p104-100/ using the latest windows 10, mining it paired with a bunch of 1070. every time I plug it in, windows tries to install drivers then it blue screens. any help? ( it works on my main pc)

block auto update, either by turning down the service from service manager or bruteforce it by bloking acces to the intenet in a firewall (simplewall for example)

I succesfully installed my P106-100 on my pc. For some reason the fans were spinning up really fast while it wasn't being used. Has anyone else experienced this? I got it to calm down a bit with MSI afterburner fan control. Has anyone tried overclocking the card for gaming? What overclock score were you able to get? Voltage overclock? core/mem overclock?

Use MSI Afterburner and set up fan curve.

MSIAfterburner_3I7CcpPc0Y.png

My P106 has 100% fan speed at 55 degrees by default, it seems that this is a feature of mining cards

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Mirror Reaper said:

Try the same steps as win 10. Change adaptertype to 4 or delete it and right click > new > DWORD (32-bit) name it EnableMsHybrid double click on it and change the value to 1 click ok reboot and try opening Nvidia Control Panel. 

Untitled.png

Sorry for the late reply, it doesn't seem to work, still getting the "no display connected" message when trying to open the nvidia control panel. I have win 7 x64, on the same machine the Win 10 trick works flawlessly.  Changed adapter type to 4 and created EnableMsHybrid then changed it's value to 1.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, Adr1an_ said:

Sorry for the late reply, it doesn't seem to work, still getting the "no display connected" message when trying to open the nvidia control panel. I have win 7 x64, on the same machine the Win 10 trick works flawlessly.  Changed adapter type to 4 and created EnableMsHybrid then changed it's value to 1.

I guess it can't work on win 7 then 

29 minutes ago, Mirror Reaper said:

I guess it can't work on win 7 then 

It definitely works on win 7, but only doing like nkp123 suggested earlier on this thread:.

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good "

The problem with this approach is that the P106 becomes VERY  awkward to use. I will do a clean install of the drivers on Win 7 and try again your trick.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:49 PM, Adr1an_ said:

It definitely works on win 7, but only doing like nkp123 suggested earlier on this thread:.

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good "

The problem with this approach is that the P106 becomes VERY  awkward to use. I will do a clean install of the drivers on Win 7 and try again your trick.

Yes, I know. I meant with the Nvidia panel

can i run p106 with Ryzen 5 3400g plz tell mee

On 8/4/2019 at 11:43 AM, Anmol800 said:

can i run p106 with Ryzen 5 3400g plz tell mee

Read the thread I think someone tried to and it worked but he had a problem, can't remember which CPU and what problem he had tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna bump this old thread.

A while back I built a Ryzen 3 2200G build using this card, and used it for a handful of games like Apex, PUBG, and R6S, but in the end I decided it was too much of a headache and switched to an RX580. I strongly believed that it was being held back by the 8x lanes afforded by the Ryzen processor. Since then, my P106 has been collecting dust.

Well, I've moved recently and left my old PC behind and I decided to bring my P106 with me. I bought an old Dell Optiplex 9020 and through a real feat of engineering, managed to get the P106 working with it. It's not pretty, but it works.

Spoiler

IMG_20190729_000619.jpg

Anyway, I re-ran my Heaven benchmark and it does indeed seem to improve on the scores I attained on the Ryzen build. So, keep that in mind, y'all.

Ryzen 3 2200G results:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Intel i5-4570 results:

Spoiler

image.png.4a963648694d49f17e3d5268643a3300.png

• 3 weeks later...