Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

19 minutes ago, TheGiolly said:

417.22 works with P106-100 on MSI Z78-G43 with i5-4670k

No! works on any config. the only thing that I am waiting for is someone to confirm whether the fix I found works on a gen3 or earlier CPU or not. If you have a gen 4 or newer it will work.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:27 PM, Mirror Reaper said:

I have been trying to find a solution so that the Desktop is treated as a laptop. 
1- Instead of deleting Adaptertype in the registry I changed its value to 4 and YOU MUST change Mshybrid to 1 instead of 0.
2- (I don't think it's needed but I'll mention it just in case) Then I went to this registry address: 
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games
and modified the values to be as such (see picture 1)
3- (which is the most important step I presume) Download nvidiaProfileInspector and change these settings to match picture 2 and 3.
Reboot and you should be set to go. 

I removed the game's profiles from the Windows GPU setting and launched them and they indeed utilized the GP106 GPU. And it appears that even Directx9 is working as you can see in the last picture. 

I have an I5 4670K and MSI Z87 gaming motherboard and running Windows 10 Pro version 1809 build  17763.437.

regedit_ZtP4IUM9O0.jpg

nvidiaProfileInspector_DTx85p6uLr.jpg

nvidiaProfileInspector_lL4kTFD8JK.jpg

explorer_3b4ZHroc1S.jpg

temp 39c how?

1 hour ago, Dksidez said:

temp 39c how?

A cold room it's like winter here in Algeria. Also, the benchmark wasn't running for a long time before I took the screenshot. In long gaming sessions, I get around 49c or something these days.

I've been having computer lockups every once in a while where the whole computer will fail. The screen would freeze, all audio will stop, and the computer becomes non-responsive. The computer has to be hard-reset. I was wondering if any of y'all get the same issue. It always happens when I'm in the middle of a game, so I'm pretty certain it's a P106 problem. I'm still on 416.34, and I should probably update to 417.22, but I wanted to know if I was the only one getting this problem.

10 hours ago, poorboy said:

I've been having computer lockups every once in a while where the whole computer will fail. The screen would freeze, all audio will stop, and the computer becomes non-responsive. The computer has to be hard-reset. I was wondering if any of y'all get the same issue. It always happens when I'm in the middle of a game, so I'm pretty certain it's a P106 problem. I'm still on 416.34, and I should probably update to 417.22, but I wanted to know if I was the only one getting this problem.

Never happened to me 

However, we need the latest driver. Has anyone tried with the notebook driver version? 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:30 PM, Mirror Reaper said:

No! works on any config. the only thing that I am waiting for is someone to confirm whether the fix I found works on a gen3 or earlier CPU or not. If you have a gen 4 or newer it will work.

Inside Dell T3600 with Xeon E5-2690 v1 (guess it's 3rd gen CPU in desktop realm) I have AMD RX 460 and P106-100. Three monitors are connected to RX card. Matlab and Python are using P106 for calculations without issues.

I have done all hacks suggested here, and now can open Nvidia control panel, but most of the games still ignore P106 and utilize RX 460.

There is still hope, I have tried to play DOTA 2 using Vulkan API and it automatically used P106 with impressive frame rates. When used in other API modes it defaults to RX card.

I will try to find some more Vulcan games, and report back.

1 minute ago, Mile said:

Inside Dell T3600 with Xeon E5-2690 v1 (guess it's 3rd gen CPU in desktop realm) I have AMD RX 460 and P106-100. Three monitors are connected to RX card. Matlab and Python are using P106 for calculations without issues.

I have done all hacks suggested here, and now can open Nvidia control panel, but most of the games still ignore P106 and utilize RX 460.

There is still hope, I have tried to play DOTA 2 using Vulkan API and it automatically used P106 with impressive frame rates. When used in other API modes it defaults to RX card.

I will try to find some more Vulcan games, and report back.

Interesting :0 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, poorboy said:

but I admit I applied the Chinese modifications rather than the one outlined in the LTT video.

Could you please give me a link for the chinese driver or a link that shows what modifications they made? there are just too much to read and I just want to play a few games with my P106 :P Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that the problem with Intel Ivy Bridge is that the iGPU (Intel HD 2000/3000) doesn't support WDDM 2.0, one way to tell its if the iGPU shows up in the task manager which i'm pretty sure requires WDDM 2.0 or later

6 hours ago, papajo said:

Could you please give me a link for the chinese driver or a link that shows what modifications they made?

• remove all strings containing "DEV.1C07 " from nv_dispi.inf
  • open nvaci.inf, add
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1C07%          = Section066, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C07 
    after the
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.1243.1025% = Section064, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BE1&SUBSYS_12431025 
    (space at the end!)
  • find one more same place, repeat the operation
  • add
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1C07%          = Section065, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C07 
    after the
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.1243.1025% = Section063, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BE1&SUBSYS_12431025 
    (space at the end!)
  • add
    NVIDIA_DEV.1C07 = "NVIDIA P106-100"
    after the
    NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.1243.1025 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070"

10 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

Has anyone tried with the notebook driver version?  

Just compare hashes for desktop and "notebook" install packafes ;)

417.35-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql-rp.exe

417.35-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql-rp.exe

There is no separate "notebook" driver. Desktop and notebook packages are identical and use the unified driver.

7 hours ago, dartraiden said:

Just compare hashes for desktop and "notebook" install packafes ;)

417.35-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql-rp.exe

417.35-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql-rp.exe

There is no separate "notebook" driver. Desktop and notebook packages are identical and use the unified driver.

The notebook driver is larger tho. Well, that's a bummer.
 We really need an updated driver and I think it's possible as there are modded audio drivers that allow you to instal drivers meant for other devices to enable for example Dolby Atmos, DTS, and  Sound Blaster...etc (you can even have support for all of them with one driver). 

11 hours ago, dartraiden said:

remove all strings containing "DEV.1C07 " from nv_dispi.inf

Should I remove them as in delete them completely or change the "1C07" string with something else? 

I can confirm that games games like DOTA 2 and The Talos Principle using Vulkan API will default to P106 instead other card (in my case RX 460).

If playe them in DX 11 or DX 12 mode games goes back to utilizing RX 460 exclusively. 

What is interesting is that when playing The Talos Principle in Vulkan mode Windows Task Manager is displaying P106 with ~95% and RX with ~25% utilization. I guess it is because monitor presenting the game is connected to RX card. With all settings to the maximum, including full AA, I get ~100 FPS 1080p.

Ok I have tried this a few times and for different reasons it just doesnt work... 

The furthest I got is to manage to install the driver but then the control panel doesnt open because no nvidia GPU is connected...

Could someone with a working driver please upload it and share a link with me either here of via PM or tell me the password for the chinese driver located here https://pan.baidu.com/share/init?surl=Z59QrIg0uuaSLNnNatTLlA  ?  PRETTY PLEAAAAASSSSEEEE :3 

5 hours ago, papajo said:

Should I remove them as in delete them completely

"Chinese method" = remove completely. So P106 will be moved from desktop (nv_dispi) to mobile driver (nvaci)

3 hours ago, papajo said:

but then the control panel doesnt open because no nvidia GPU is connected...

Check EnableMsHybrid = 1

Why use the old driver when you can use 417.22 and modify two registry keys without needing to modify the driver files? I don't get it. 

Hi guys, there is another hack you could try on 1st - 3rd gen CPU platform. Games using Vulcan API can automatically use P106 GPU, but the OpenGL games will still use iGPU by default. 

for OpenGL games to work, you could try delete Intel graphics Opengl ICD driver as following:

1. search under x:\Windows directory for ig?icd32.dll, and ig?icd64.dll, the '?" is one digit number, such as ig4icd32.dll ig4icd64.dll in my case

2. reboot into safe mode, and delete these DLL files

3. reboot again and then OpenGL game will use P106 GPU instead of iGPU

2 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

Why use the old driver when you can use 417.22 and modify two registry keys without needing to modify the driver files? I don't get it. 

how or link? 

6 hours ago, mimitech said:

Hi guys, there is another hack you could try on 1st - 3rd gen CPU platform. Games using Vulcan API can automatically use P106 GPU, but the OpenGL games will still use iGPU by default. 

for OpenGL games to work, you could try delete Intel graphics Opengl ICD driver as following:

1. search under x:\Windows directory for ig?icd32.dll, and ig?icd64.dll, the '?" is one digit number, such as ig4icd32.dll ig4icd64.dll in my case

2. reboot into safe mode, and delete these DLL files

3. reboot again and then OpenGL game will use P106 GPU instead of iGPU

Are names for AMD OpenGL DLL files any diferent?

Hey Guys I have been reading this thread since a long time.

And wanted to know everything about this topic. (not like papajo XD)

Finally I got my card and it works like Heck I tell ya.

I first deinstalled a couple of times the drivers using ddu

set to Igpu in the bios settings

build out my old card

again ddu the old drivers

build in the new card

installed the Intel hd graphics driver (which is important otherwise u don't find the MsHybrid key)

installed nvidia driver 417.22

changed EnableMsHybrid to 1 and Adaptertype to 4

searched again for EnableMyhybrid because I got multiple registry keys with that name and changed it there also

then I started to change the values like Mirror Reaper done in The nvidia ProfileInspector

I can start any game I want without change the setting to high performance card or something else

You could say it works allmost out of the box

I hope this helps

sorry for my poor english

Ps: I searched on userbenchmarks.com and the Gpu performed really badly in a userbenchmark a month ago.

So i uploaded my Card also. It performed really well although the condition I recived it made me worry if the card is even workig. (The card was really dirty and the Thermalpaste were crusty like a crap.) 

btw. in the Screenshot u see that dx9 was benched alltough with the driver hack Instead of the RegistryTrick  it was reported that u could't play well dx9 games.

gpu bench.jpg

4 hours ago, ichbins said:

And wanted to know everything about this topic. (not like papajo XD)

Give me a brake will ya? XD 

I just ordered that card to install it to my grandmahs PC because I visit her for a couple of weeks during eastern... 

So I thought this would be a nice low budget sollution to pass some time by gaming on her i3 4gen system (Which I build for her to be able to make videocalls with my family) 

The internet connection she has obviously is crappy AF I need like 5 hours to download a nvidia driver + I dont have many days infact I am leaving on the second of May so I have no time to tackle this.. 

I thought it was just a matter of downloading the chinese driver after purchasing the card but the problem is that the chinese seller sends you a baidu link which even when you manage through rigurus googletranslate to get the password for it you have to have a chinese phone number in order to register to baidu and be able to download it...

I wasnt worried about the Chinese messing with the driver because

A) even though I dont know wtf is going on to make a fresh driver working for that card I didnt think they could like hack it completely in order to spy me or corrupt my pc and that they have no incentive to do that since they want to get rid of their stock and bad publicity on their driver would be bad for their sales..

B) its my grannys PC if they would like to spent manpower and computer resources to check whenever she searched webmd or something on the web or talk via skype to my parents then ok let them be my guest ... Also the computer has a crappy internet connection aswell + is mostly turned off when I am not around so yea it would be usless even as a slave in a botnet... 

So I guess since nobody had time to link me a driver I guess I have to reasearch on it on Christmass or something when I visit my granny again. 

Just download driver version 417.22 from the nvidia site. You don't have to modify it at all.