What Happened To Laptop Docking Stations?

The surface dock doesn't count, neither does a large dongle. Why are laptop docking stations no longer common? The modern only machine with one (that I can think of) is the Asus GX800 and that one used its dock for water-cooling and not more ports. They seems very convenient since you just put the laptop on it and there are no cables.

Dell-Latitude-E-Series-Laptop-Docking-Station-PX02X-0CY640-Front.jpg

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

They have been replaced with Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C docks. Cheaper and universal. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

They have been replaced with Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C docks. Cheaper and universal. 

I know, I'm wondering why. Also, I'm not saying that they should be proprietary.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

USB3, not necessarily USB-C. The main point of a docking station was to provide power and port expansion to a laptop. They're big band bulky, and tied to a specific laptop model range. USB ones are universal, although for the ones I have power still had to be done separately as they're not C powered, and still use the older USB connectors.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Because the problem they're trying to solve, getting everything connected in one action, has been resolved by USB-C. You can plug in literally one cable and get everything you need now. Though even then with older USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt ones, everything you need except power could be off one cable

Plus people tend to be mobile with their laptops, liking the option from going from one surface to another.

4 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

I know, I'm wondering why.

Because they're much easier to carry around compared to heavy docks.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

23 hours ago, Geography said:

Because they're much easier to carry around compared to heavy docks.

The point of a dock is not it carry it around, it's to have more ports when you are at home/work so you can plug in peripherals, Ethernet, etc.

2 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

The point of a dock is not it carry it around, it's to have more ports when you are at home/work so you can plug in peripherals, Ethernet, etc.

Ya, but the same thing can be done using lightweight dongles.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 hour ago, unclefarkus said:

You could make somewhat of an argument that eGPUs are the new docks

They can be. It would be cool if an eGPU could be built into a dock-style enclosure though.

I actually love these old docks, and I hope they return, and not the crappy slide in thunderbolt kind, but this old kind. It makes day to day use for desk in offices clean compared to clunky, wired, dongle hell. 

They block the underside of the system, and the designs of some also blocked some airflow out the side. Meaning the laptop ran warmer than normal when docked.

My current laptop is an old Lenovo W520. My current work laptop is a W540. I hate the docking station for the W540 (don't have one for the W520) because it blocks a lot of the bottom of the laptop and half blocks the side radiator exhaust as well when I have it plugged in. Meaning the fan screams when the CPU is under load.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128