rant: mass effect andromeda killed my psu

zassou

okay that just an evil clickbaity title. but i do returned to mea yesterday, after abandoning the game more than a year ago, for some multiplayer action. it used to be laggy and stuttering, but after a year of maturing it's playing quite well, that was, until my psu popped.

it was a bronze match, playing the game while playing a youtube video for background music. the pc shuts off and rebooted, like what you would get when surge hits. however yesterday nine is cool and dry, no thunderbolt and lightning, not very frightning at all. after booted, i thought it was no big deal, i dealt with surges before and quite familiar with such incident, besides, i havent met power issue in the place i live for decades.

and so i launch the game for the second time, without browser. after the main menu, the pc shuts of, but without rebooting. i got worried, turn off the switch on psu, and waited mobo lights off to bleed the charges in caps. turn on the swich, the light on my graphic card is on, indicaded the unit is providing standby power. but when i press the power button, both case and mobo, the computer didnt boot.

i was afraid of major component damage, so i did a minimum system check, remove all the things until a cpu, a stick and the board. still it didnt boot. so i went to bed and plan the next move.

system spec:

i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.28v

asrock z97 extreme 4

2x ddr3 sticks

gtx1070 with power target maxed.

2x hdd, 1x nvme ssd, 1x sata ssd

PSU: COOLER MASTER V550S (same as v550, only without modular cables)

despite i oc'ed both cpu and gpu, the system load wouldnt trigger ocp on this 550w brick, let alone in some reviewers test it can sustain 700w of load. althogh im not an expert on psus, so maybe im skimped on psu (i havent!)

i bought the brick on july 2014, and it came with 5 year warrenty, so i gut it open and send it back to the dealer. but they warned me it will take atleast half a month to get it fixed, because they probably have to ship it back to china, and those ppl will be celebrate their new year soon. so i decided to bite the bullet, just go buy a cheap brick and use it for the moment while waiting my cm unit's return.

so in one day, i burned all the petro in my bike, and still cant find a psu with 2x cpu 4pin and 2x gpu 8pin connector, with resonable price. i live in a small town so there is probably only a dozen of shops dealing psu, and only a couple of them keeping diy grade product in stock. and by diy grade i mean psus that is name brand and can support modern graphics card, forget about evga and corsair, a shop i ran into asking a 500W huntkey unit for 89 usd, that was just outragous, even i'm aware that huntkey is a major oem in psu business. later i check there was a dealer have some second hand delta units, but they are server parts in 2u/4u case, it might fit in atx case but non of them comes with pcie connector, even so the guy were asking 30 usd a piece, haha.

when it gets dark i come to my last store, and the last unit i was presented is a very cheap looking unit, no specs listed on the outer package, and full chinese text. (one of my superpower is able to read chinese)

the brand is unknown, the webside is not acessable, and the slogan is silly at most. but the unit is okay i guess, cant find a big steel lump which means active pfc. the sticker says 500w combined output which i guess is fine, the cables are all red, which is a plus compared to my v550s' ketchup and mustard. but the downside is it doesnt came with another pcie 8pin connector, that means i cant use my gtx1070. i was tired, all i wanted is able to use my computer, so i bought it. the price is somewhat reasonable, ~34 usd for a 500w unit, probably 80 plus white efficiency. i think it's an okay product for 2 month max of use.

moral of the story: dont play ass effect andromeda

moral of the story 2: intel cpu's intergrated graphic is supremely helpful, i have no idea what purpose those k F skus serve.

moral of the story 3: if you want to break your psu, dont break it when the dealer is about to take a long break.

and now is your daily dose of cringe product show, feast your eyes.

photo_2019-01-27_23-36-55.jpg

photo_2019-01-27_23-37-06.jpg

photo_2019-01-27_23-37-13.jpg

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

2 minutes ago, zassou said:

i have no idea what purpose those k skus serve.

Overclocking?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Majestic said:

LOL you blame a video game for a shitty PSU. The absolute mental gymnastics. 

lol you didnt bother to read the first line in my post.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Just now, zassou said:

lol you didnt bother to read the first line in my post.

Nah I read the final bit of your post, i'm not going to read that wall of autism

"moral of the story: dont play ass effect andromeda"

Where did you buy the PSU from?

Why does it have a Corsair guarantee?

Who tf is cooler star?

wtf is 'the pusite'?

11 minutes ago, zassou said:

althogh im not an expert on psus, so maybe im skimped on psu (i havent!)

?

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Where did you buy the PSU from?

Why does it have a Corsair guarantee?

Who tf is cooler star?

wtf is 'the pusite?

a local computer store that mostly dealing with photocopyer.

i have no idea, probably it's required by law? my cm unit has 5 year warrenty and it will be expired on this july.

i heard cooler master had a low end brand but they kinda scrapped it.

i would like to hear a german pronounce this name.

What I gathered is your blaming a game for killing a PSU that was years old and not the fact that you probably ran it close to it's max sustained output for hours and hours gaming while overclocked.

Mental

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Nah I read the final bit of your post, i'm not going to read that wall of autism

"moral of the story: dont play ass effect andromeda"

you should probably spend less time on 4chan

image.png.7027ec52c84e00a3b245a5adc6950e4e.png

Good website! (google translated)

image.png.713b478d660e304d212b39fd64ea87e2.png

Amazing Corsair Guarantee, on a non-Corsair product!

image.png.94d5542c6fc43fe7f8a302a806e79862.png

It sure did, otherwise the computer would not've worked!

image.png.fc8e3a3183e59a246427c81720637e70.png

Using the latest new connector: The Floppy Drive (berg) connector. Perfect for the 2 people that will build this in sleeper PCs (and still want the floppy drive to work)!

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, KingCry said:

What I gathered is your blaming a game for killing a PSU that was years old and not the fact that you probably ran it close to it's max sustained output for hours and hours gaming while overclocked.

Mental

maybe? but im not really blame on video game, because one, i wasnt streaming. i stream almost every day, sometimes on more demanding games. mea multiplayer is not a demanding scenario despite uses same engine as battlefield. im running 1080p and have vsync on.

1 minute ago, zassou said:

a local computer store that mostly dealing with photocopyer.

That's most likely a cheap off brand PSU.

1 minute ago, zassou said:

i have no idea, probably it's required by law? my cm unit has 5 year warrenty and it will be expired on this july.

What kind of law requires a corsair guarantee?

mass effect didn't kill your hardware. running a high wattage system pushed even further with OC's did.

overclocking increases a chips power draw a lot, so your 550W unit was being pushed.

35 minutes ago, zassou said:

now is your daily dose of cringe product show, feast your eyes.

photo_2019-01-27_23-36-55.jpg

@jonnyGURU @Corsair Nick

What is this and why does it have a "Corsair guarantee" on the box? ?

@zassou what country are you in?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@jonnyGURU @Corsair Nick

What is this and why does it have a "Corsair guarantee" on the box? ?

LOL!  When you give so few fucks about counterfeiting product that you just rip elements from other company's boxes, you know you're in China!

Hey.. It made sense to use a computer power cable!

I want that box so bad now.....

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Overclocking?

sorry i mean f sku on their 9 series coffee lake refresh. those with igpu disabled one.

3 minutes ago, zassou said:

sorry i mean f sku on their 9 series coffee lake refresh. those with igpu disabled one.

Oh those. Well they basically have to throw away a CPU die that has a broken iGPU so if they sell the F SKU they can avoid wasting materials.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Oh those. Well they basically have to throw away a CPU die that has a broken iGPU so if they sell the F SKU they can avoid wasting materials.

... and they will be sold at the same price as their counterparts. kinda sad if the shortage come to a point where only cpu you can get is those crippled one.

• 11 months later...

The responses here are ridiculous and atrocious. No one even bothered to do a split second of research before berating this guy. 

FYI it is the game itself and not his overlock or  that his PSU is old. The game has a known glitch that causes it to draw way more power then it needs from the system causing the system to crash. It’s happening world wide and as we speak on my Dell 7559 laptop that’s not over clock but undervolted and underclocked to attempt to play this game and it still crashes and nearly causes the battery to overheat.

its amazing how people can be assholes and assume bullshit rather doing real research. I know this thread is old but this shit seems to be a trend here

32 minutes ago, CyrisPC said:

FYI it is the game itself and not his overlock or  that his PSU is old. The game has a known glitch that causes it to draw way more power then it needs from the system causing the system to crash. It’s happening world wide and as we speak on my Dell 7559 laptop that’s not over clock but undervolted and underclocked to attempt to play this game and it still crashes and nearly causes the battery to overheat.

let's break this down with some basic engineering

why didn't my psu explode during a torture test with something like unigine or (god forbid) furmark? those are MADE to unrealistically max the gpu and cpu, better than this glitch can

so let's say for the situation that it's about the same level.

this would mean that it draws more power, which looks like the psu can't handle, so it should turn off on likely opp or ocp protections, which it clearly didn't

is this fault of the game? no

is this the fault of the psu? yes

enough evidence? i think so