How do you maintain your PC?

Ergroilnin

Speaking software-wise only.

I usually do not do all that much to maintain my PC these last five years.

The only thing I pretty much do is run CCleaner on like monthly basis, not installing bloatware, have a common sense while surfing web and mail and that's it.

Do you for example reinstall Windows (I do not have almost any experience with MacOS and literally zero experience with Linux, so I do not know about those) completely for a fresh install say every year or use some other software etc. to maintain your PC?

Software-wise, I'm extremely conservative and monitor my storage space wisely.

Say for example Fallout 4 mods, if I want to uninstall Fallout 4, I'll need to find every branch of mod that relates to Fallout 4 in order to keep my storage as uncluttered as I can.

If I ever do feel the need to freshen up, I only ever do 'Reset this PC' and not fresh installs, because it's cumbersome having to buy another Windows 10 key just to have a new Windows, when a reset does essentially the same thing, and leaves no residual files in my experience.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Run CCleaner every so often and make use of a VM where neccesary

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Assuming you don't have storage limit issue, where you need to clean Temp folder, web caches, etc.

Then Windows 10 does a fairly good job at cleaning things up, and maintaining itself.

This is also less of a need if you have an SSD (no defrag needed).

Take a sponge to my SSD. Steel wool if it's been an active month.

Well that or keep neatly labelled folders.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I don't use any CCleaners or other crap naive people have been inundated to think they should be using. The only thing I do is delete the various crap left behind by Windows Update, especially after big patches, and that's all.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, campy said:

Really makes you wonder what happened to take that to 4gb idles on windows 10

It doesn't use 4GB at idle, unless you count in cache, but that'd be idiotic.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Every few months I image my Os and put it on my NAS, save whatever i need and reinstall

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

Just now, campy said:

It's mainly windows superfetch, but if it's eating ram it's eating ram. Anything over 2gb is just not acceptable by any means. Nothing on that OS should use that much ram.

Theres no justifying that, every time I read about someone complaining about high idle ram usage it's all "unused ram is wasted ram!" Or "it's just cached, it will clear when it's needed!"

No. 

B L O A T

I hate windows 10 for many other reasons, mainly the fact that it refuses to give you full control over anything and tries its hardest to trick you into enabling safety features if you turn them off, but the ram issue isn't helping.

You clearly have no idea what cache is.

An absolutely needed software in Win 10 is a defrag.

It is the only maintenance that mechanical drives need.

I have seen that Win10 defrag is mediocre as in the past few days, i was trying to defrag a 2TB HDD and the result was stuck to 2%.

I Downloaded a software "Auslogics Disk Defrag" and it showed 36% fragmentation, i let it take care of it and went to 0%

I run after that Win Defrag and it was the first time it showed 0%

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Malwarebytes or Reinstall.  Anything else isn't worth your time.  At least I live in a po-dunk 400 population town and get 125mb internet service even.  Takes less than an hour to get things back to complete fresh working order, another hour and every game is reinstalled on my current play list. 

My situation is different, I use my desktop only for gaming, pr0n and downloading less than on the up and up software for the most affordable (Free) price I can get it.  If I happen to get something with ill intent to my PC I just wipe it.  If Malwarebytes free version doesn't catch it, a fresh install always will.  My NAS keeps my important records, videos, pictures etc.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, campy said:

I'm very well aware of what it is and why it's causing higher ram consumption, it does not excuse that ram consumption.

This just goes to show that you don't understand what you're talking about. Cache is thrown away the instant anything wishes to use the RAM, so there is literally no downside to it.

9 minutes ago, campy said:

There is no reason to windows to cache half the programs you use just so they open slightly faster.

You just gave the reason yourself.

I haven't done anything to it for the last 3 years, haven't even reformatted since switching to an SSD

Not much these days. Speaking to my main OS, nothing important is on the OS drive. If I run into major issues, I just re-load the OS, remap my drives, and re-install my programs. Any software worth using has its configs backed up for an easy restore. I have the reload process down to about an hour and a half.

45 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Speaking software-wise only.

I just delete viruses that I accidentally download. That's all I do in terms of maintaining my PC (software-wise).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Usually once a year I'll go through and clear out old files that I don't need stored locally anymore.

I try to stay updated on drivers, usually update those a day or two after the new version releases.

As far as software, that's it.

For hardware, I'll take it apart and dust it every few months. I haven't come up with a schedule for the thermal compound, but I'd probably do that bi-yearly.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I don't install every garbage I find on the internet.
The large majority of the applications I use other than games, are "portable" meaning no install/registry keys being generated. This allows for quick turn around when/if I need to format Windows.

I used to use CCleaner a lot, but that software has honestly gone to shit and caused more issues than it fixes at this point.(Especially in regards to Windows 10 Feature updates)

As for software updating.... I only update the ones that connects to the internet for security purpose, when and if I run them.

Why update that which isn't broken and doesn't connect to the Internet after all.

I go through my portable apps maybe once every 2 or 3 years to see if there are newer versions that maybe adds new stuff.... but that's really it. The other applications like my web browser tell me if there's a new version.

Once you're past the initial set up, there really isn't much reasons to go out of your way to try and "maintain" your PC if all you're doing is play games, watch movies and browse the internet. It's mainly for people who have no clue what they are doing and install crap they find on Facebook or don't realize the importance of things like a firewall.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well first off i never run junkware that does nothing or worse than nothing actually breaks things like CCleaner or other registry optimizer BS software.

Optimize drives(TRIM SSD and defrag HDD) with windows built in tool weekly.

Keep windows updated with security fixes. Keep drivers updated with stable versions.

Occasionally run Disk Cleanup and do the system files version.

Run DISM and sfc after any major software failures like BSODs.

I use Windbg from Microsoft to establish the cause of BSODs by reading the dump files.

Malwarebytes premium with custom anti exploit profiles and Windows Defender.

I dont browse the internet on my PC or install stupid shit. Locked down phones and tablets with VPNs are for browsing.

Regular system image backups.

My Windows installs usually last as long as the PC with no slowdown over time. I usually keep my PCs 4 or 5 years with heavy daily use and years of actual powered on time.

There is NO reason to reinstall the OS usually.

In case you need to uninstall any software in your PC maintenance, if any, I recommend using iObit Uninstaller to be able to deep clean the uninstallation. Unless someone have a better recommendation on this similar apps..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

10 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

In case you need to uninstall any software in your PC maintenance, if any, I recommend using iObit Uninstaller to be able to deep clean the uninstallation. Unless someone have a better recommendation on this similar apps..

IObit software should NEVER be used under any circumstances. I mean unless youre TRYING to break someones PC as a meme.

They are a garbage company out of China that was caught stealing Malwarebytes intellectual property.

Their software is worse than useless garbage(scareware, bloatware, breaks things, uses stolen code).

Its hard to find a company i hate more than Amazon or G2A but IOshit comes close.

9 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

IObit software should NEVER be used under any circumstances.

They are a garbage company out of China that was caught stealing Malwarebytes intellectual property.

Their software is worse than useless garbage(scareware, bloatware, breaks things, uses stolen code).

Its hard to find a compa i hate more than Amazon or G2A but IOshit comes close.

Really? I never knew that LOL..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Just now, _Hustler_One_ said:

Really? I never knew that LOL..

Its a horrible company. Idk if it leaves stuff behind but i would go to Control Panel, Uninstall A Program and nuke everything related to IObit off the PC ASAP.

If you need to get rid of traces left behind, Microsoft has that covered.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

That will let you find autoruns left behind by software. Any non-malicious registry entries left behind shouldnt break anything.

If something malicious was installed then this will usually obliterate the registry entries.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

To find any running processes and get their associated .exes you can just use this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

After uninstalling something major or malicious, open an elevated command prompt by going to search, type in command and right click command prompt, then run as administrator.

Type these commands in this order. Each will take a few minutes to run. The spacing has to be exact. 

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

If you had IObit stuff on your PC id run both commands just to be sure. Windows sucks in a lot of ways but it really dkes have a lot of built in tools to fix and diagnose things.

13 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

nuke everything related to IObit off the PC ASAP

How to do that? LOL

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

8 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

How to do that? LOL

Go to control panel, uninstall a program, look for anything made by IObit in there. Uninstall it.

Then use Autoruns and Process Explorer(links in my previous post) and look for traces there. Delete them of you find any.

Run Adwcleaner.

Reboot. Then do the DISM and SFC commands i also posted to fix any remaining damage. You should be good after that.

I run malwarebytes once a month and keep windows updated. 

I just don't have any problems that would lead me to need software to do what windows already does.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.