Kalm's nerd corner complete for now

Kalm_Traveler

I'd been meaning to get a full setup for the mainstream rig and finally am more or less satisfied. Rig might still get a couple internal tweaks since i want to install that Der8auer direct-die frame after delidding the 9900k, and I'm probably going to sell the Titan V since the Titan RTX is better for gaming and i can get pretty much new RTX money for the V. 

Also no I'm not rich, I'm putting myself through school but I have a decent full time day job and nothing else to do in my free time because I'm in Utah and these people all seem to get married and have 17 kids by age 20 (a fate which i gratefully escaped long ago). 

Anyway let me know what you guys think. 

20190112_181640.jpg

20190112_181749.jpg

20190112_181809.jpg

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

1 minute ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Also no I'm not rich

You do live rich.

But hey, a hobby is a hobby. I've got my own rig that probably makes people think I'm rich. I see you went for black and green as well in that second pic, as someone who opted out of rgb to achieve my aesthetic I can appreciate how hard that may have been.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

You do live rich.

But hey, a hobby is a hobby. I've got my own rig that probably makes people think I'm rich. I see you went for black and green as well in that second pic, as someone who opted out of rgb to achieve my aesthetic I can appreciate how hard that may have been.

Yeah I tried the RGB thing with the previous iteration of hardware in that case but got over it. The long-term (to me) benefit of RGB stuff is really just that you can pick a color theme if desired. The smaller rig has a custom hack-job UV LED strip to light up the fluid, and since the video card block already had a factory-installed RGB strip I just tried to purple-color-match the UV lights.

Later this year I'm going to build a non-light-up rig for my step brother in the Cooler Master HAF XB Evo case that I'd originally bought to use for the TV PC since he is still running my ~ 2008 PC (core 2 Duo, 8gb DDR3, etc though we upgraded him to an LGA771 quad core Xeon).

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

Dreams.... They happen.

I've been meaning to ask since I saw those two words on your post "two titan RTX's". What do you actually do for work? And how does living in Utah benefit you? Sorry if I'm prying, I'm just curious.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

15 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Dreams.... They happen.

I've been meaning to ask since I saw those two words on your post "two titan RTX's". What do you actually do for work? And how does living in Utah benefit you? Sorry if I'm prying, I'm just curious.

I jumped from tech support and systems administration to cybersecurity last year, just finishing a bachelor's degree in that now. Got lucky and the security team at work needed a new entry level spot filled, couldn't find any good external candidates and they liked dealing with me so they asked if I would be willing to make the switch. 

Living in Utah 'benefits' (note: sarcasm) because I'm too old to socialize with other unmarried people since most folks here marry and start families very young (literally not uncommon for a 20 year old to have a kid or two). Since I'm not into outdoorsy things like camping, hunting, fishing, etc and can't really have a social life, it means whenever i have free time all my energy (and money) goes into solo hobbies. 

Most of the time I don't spend money on anything besides living expenses and tuition, so it's a lot easier to save up money for ridiculous unnecessary things. 

1 minute ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I jumped from tech support and systems administration to cybersecurity last year, just finishing a bachelor's degree in that now. Got lucky and the security team at work needed a new entry level spot filled, couldn't find any good external candidates and they liked dealing with me so they asked if I would be willing to make the switch. 

Living in Utah 'benefits' (note: sarcasm) because I'm too old to socialize with other unmarried people since most folks here marry and start families very young (literally not uncommon for a 20 year old to have a kid or two). Since I'm not into outdoorsy things like camping, hunting, fishing, etc and can't really have a social life, it means whenever i have free time all my energy (and money) goes into solo hobbies. 

Most of the time I don't spend money on anything besides living expenses and tuition, so it's a lot easier to save up money for ridiculous unnecessary things. 

Yeah, I have a lot of Morman friends here in Oregon (who don't act like it sometimes...) so I do kinda get the idea of what it might be like in Utah, socially. It's cool that you were able to able to get a different spot at your job. It sounds like it's working out pretty well.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

2 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Yeah, I have a lot of Morman friends here in Oregon (who don't act like it sometimes...) so I do kinda get the idea of what it might be like in Utah, socially. It's cool that you were able to able to get a different spot at your job. It sounds like it's working out pretty well.

Yep tried that for a long time, didn't fit me. Bad position to be in living here lol

Thanks, yeah I'm super stoked about the job stuff, plus they reimburse any certs I want to get (higher tier IT Security certs cost in the thousands) and the company does tuition reimbursement 80% up to I think $5000 per year so that helps too. 

2 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Yep tried that for a long time, didn't fit me. Bad position to be in living here lol

Thanks, yeah I'm super stoked about the job stuff, plus they reimburse any certs I want to get (higher tier IT Security certs cost in the thousands) and the company does tuition reimbursement 80% up to I think $5000 per year so that helps too. 

Dang, those are some good benefits..

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Hey, I just wanted to get in on this "not rich" action! ;) I myself am in college to get my teaching credentials as well as Liberal Arts degree, and all my income comes from under-the-table gigs, such as dog-walking, house-sitting and even caregiving. I was able to build a pretty nice 9900k rig just about a month ago. You just gotta budget and decide what kind of debt you might be willing to endure! I especially liked the "dreams happen" comment.

Folks just gotta focus on what they want and decide to make it happen.

Anyway, congrats on the setup and the new job. It's always good to hear that kind of story.

If you just had a build with a 9900k and and 2080 ti I wouldn't consider you rich if you had no hobbies, but you have 2 PCs one on the HEDT platform 2 RTX TITANS and a Titan V those graphics cards alone cost 8000 dollars, unless this took you like 2 years to save for.

28 minutes ago, A Lini said:

If you just had a build with a 9900k and and 2080 ti I wouldn't consider you rich if you had no hobbies, but you have 2 PCs one on the HEDT platform 2 RTX TITANS and a Titan V those graphics cards alone cost 8000 dollars, unless this took you like 2 years to save for.

I bought the V about a year ago, got the RTX's last month so almost a year apart. It's not that much of a stretch if you figure full time IT job and only paying for myself, no wife, kids, etc. My car is 11 years old and almost paid off, full coverage car insurance is ~ $47/month, cell phone and internet at home are reimbursed from work, on Amazon Prime student discount since I am also a full time student, etc.

Basically I get every possible discount / way to not spend money / way to be reimbursed for things, and don't have many expenses in the first place. I don't make enough to take care of a small family, realistically, even with the relatively low cost of living here.

18 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I bought the V about a year ago, got the RTX's last month so almost a year apart. It's not that much of a stretch if you figure full time IT job and only paying for myself, no wife, kids, etc. My car is 11 years old and almost paid off, full coverage car insurance is ~ $47/month, cell phone and internet at home are reimbursed from work, on Amazon Prime student discount since I am also a full time student, etc.

Basically I get every possible discount / way to not spend money / way to be reimbursed for things, and don't have many expenses in the first place. I don't make enough to take care of a small family, realistically, even with the relatively low cost of living here.

ok, sorry I misjudged you thought it was just no hobbies but I can belive it if you have a old car, get alot of discounts reimburments, and got stuff the stuff a decent amount of time apart from each other

Beautiful setup. The first thing I thought when I saw this post was a Neil Caffrey quote from the TV series White Collar: "there is nothing wrong with enjoying good things in life" ?

The only thing I don't particularly like are the chairs. I have never been fond of that type, I much prefer design similar to my Vertagear Triiger 275.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

3 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

Beautiful setup. The first thing I thought when I saw this post was a Neil Caffrey quote from the TV series White Collar: "there is nothing wrong with enjoying good things in life" ?

The only thing I don't particularly like are the chairs. I have never been fond of that type, I much prefer design similar to my Vertagear Triiger 275.

Thanks! to be honest I actually hate the smaller chair on the smaller setup. it was a Christmas gift oh probably 12-13 years ago and wasn't comfortable even back then, but I haven't thrown it away yet and it's better than nothing.

Going to look into your Vertagear Triiger 275 now :)   The larger chair I'm actually really happy with even though it was super expensive. It's the only desk/computer chair I've ever found that has such a tall back that it is higher than the top of my head (I'm ~ 195cm / 6'5"). I'm barely tall enough to fit it adjusted as short as it goes. It's not the most comfortable seat cushion, but with the lumbar, forward/backward lean, etc it's fine. 

Also their customer service rocks - I've had it for 3 or 4 years now, and a few months ago I emailed asking them how I could order a new armrest because I damaged the foam on one of them. Their response came in a few hours later with a tracking number for a shipment of 2 brand new replacements (in case the other one needed replacement ever), no questions asked.

2 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Thanks! to be honest I actually hate the smaller chair on the smaller setup. it was a Christmas gift oh probably 12-13 years ago and wasn't comfortable even back then, but I haven't thrown it away yet and it's better than nothing.

Going to look into your Vertagear Triiger 275 now :)   The larger chair I'm actually really happy with even though it was super expensive. It's the only desk/computer chair I've ever found that has such a tall back that it is higher than the top of my head (I'm ~ 195cm / 6'5"). I'm barely tall enough to fit it adjusted as short as it goes. It's not the most comfortable seat cushion, but with the lumbar, forward/backward lean, etc it's fine. 

Also their customer service rocks - I've had it for 3 or 4 years now, and a few months ago I emailed asking them how I could order a new armrest because I damaged the foam on one of them. Their response came in a few hours later with a tracking number for a shipment of 2 brand new replacements (in case the other one needed replacement ever), no questions asked.

Thats some grat customer support lol.

I, as a student, sont earn money on regular basis but have been able to build a 9900k system when it came out with the money from 1 job in the hollidays and presents from 1 or 2 years i saved up.

Btw I‘d like to know the temps with the direct die block from der8auer, because i want to custom loop my rog when i start my job/studies.