Anyway to make this cheaper? Without losing performance?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The GT 1030 has no hardware encoder if I remember correctly, so you'd have to use software encoder (x264) in your OBS or whatever you use.

This means your processor will be used for compression of the stream, so your games will have less CPU available for themselves.

2200g and 2400g would be cheaper, but I'm not sure OBS and other streaming products support the integrated graphics as hardware encoders.

So my advice would be to simply go for a higher end processor like Ryzen 1700 (8 cores, 16 threads) or Ryzen 2600 (6 cores, 12 threads) which will give you plenty of cpu cores for the software encoding. SInce you have the GT 1030, you can use it strictly for playing games.

i5 8400 is 194$ on Newegg, while Ryzen 1700 is 170$  and Ryzen 2600 is 165$ ...  Ryzen 2600 is probably around 10-15% faster than 8400, and Ryzen 1700 is  around the same performance as 2600 (you get more cores, but they run at slightly lower frequency).

Strictly on that configuration, you can probably save some money by buying a single stick of memory (yes, you'll lose a tiny bit of performance now by not having memory in dual channel mode, but maybe in a few months you could buy a second stick)

You'd also probably be able to save some more money with a cheaper power supply, but not by much.

Also, you can overclock both, so you get more performance, while with i5 8400 you're stuck at those default frequencies.

All CAD prices 

Case- $110

B360M- $130

600W PSU- $80

2X4GB DDR4-$95

i5 8400- $280

yep, getting a 2600/b450/8 or 16 gig 2800+ mhz

getting a bit cheaper on the case, going to a 450/500/550 watt good quality psu

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yep, getting a 2600/b450/8 or 16 gig 2800+ mhz

getting a bit cheaper on the case, going to a 450/500/550 watt good quality psu

R5 2600 has no integrated GPU and he listed no dedicated GPU so he may just want to use the iGPU

2 minutes ago, Ilikecomputerlul said:

Case- $110

B360M- $130

600W PSU- $80

2X4GB DDR4-$95

i5 8400- $280

Only the case and the power supply being changed should not have any direct impact on the performance (assuming that there is sufficient heat dissipation and power delivery for the hardware components within your system. Depending on if you plan to run certain applications which may not benefit at all or little from added RAM, RAM could be lowered, is this a general purpose machine or to be used for a certain application or software?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, then a 2400g/2200g would be a good alternative...

2200G definitely not as it performs quite a bit less (CPU wise) but it's significantly cheaper, yeah. 

2400G probably a good alternative as it has SMT. 

Comes down to what's the use case but I imagine that 2400G should be a good option unless he wants to use PremierePro often. 

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

R5 2600 has no integrated GPU and he listed no dedicated GPU so he may just want to use the iGPU

Using Gt 1030 already own. Planning to stream. Playing Fortnite with competitive settings(mostly low). Game in 1080x1080. And stream in 1920x1080 60fps

2 minutes ago, Ilikecomputerlul said:

Using Gt 1030 already own. Planning to stream. Playing Fortnite with competitive settings(mostly low). Game in 1080x1080. And stream in 1920x1080 60fps

Well then... R5 2600 is definitely a better value with a B460 motherboard.

It's also quite a bit better for streaming if you're using x264 (Which I'm assuming you do since GT1030 doesn't have NVENC encoding) 

The GT 1030 has no hardware encoder if I remember correctly, so you'd have to use software encoder (x264) in your OBS or whatever you use.

This means your processor will be used for compression of the stream, so your games will have less CPU available for themselves.

2200g and 2400g would be cheaper, but I'm not sure OBS and other streaming products support the integrated graphics as hardware encoders.

So my advice would be to simply go for a higher end processor like Ryzen 1700 (8 cores, 16 threads) or Ryzen 2600 (6 cores, 12 threads) which will give you plenty of cpu cores for the software encoding. SInce you have the GT 1030, you can use it strictly for playing games.

i5 8400 is 194$ on Newegg, while Ryzen 1700 is 170$  and Ryzen 2600 is 165$ ...  Ryzen 2600 is probably around 10-15% faster than 8400, and Ryzen 1700 is  around the same performance as 2600 (you get more cores, but they run at slightly lower frequency).

Strictly on that configuration, you can probably save some money by buying a single stick of memory (yes, you'll lose a tiny bit of performance now by not having memory in dual channel mode, but maybe in a few months you could buy a second stick)

You'd also probably be able to save some more money with a cheaper power supply, but not by much.

Also, you can overclock both, so you get more performance, while with i5 8400 you're stuck at those default frequencies.

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well then... R5 2600 is definitely a better value with a B460 motherboard.

It's also quite a bit better for streaming if you're using x264 (Which I'm assuming you do since GT1030 doesn't have NVENC encoding) 

b450...

fully agree btw, the 2600 offers a unbeatable value for this

42 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

b450...

fully agree btw, the 2600 offers a unbeatable value for this

*B450 you are right.... Crikey... why do they have to name it almost exactly the same....

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

*B450 you are right.... Crikey... why do they have to name it almost exactly the same....

to frustrate each other. b350 and x399 were actually meant to be intel chipsets...