Do people from US tend to be more employer-sided?

Rakanoth

This is perhaps going to be pure generalization. I am curious to find out if the US culture is more employer friendly.

I studied in a fairly international university and currently employed by a multinational company. At  the dinner or lunch table in my university cafeteria and in the company I overheard some people talking about certain practices within the companies throughout their lives. Furthermore, I read quite a lot of threads on several subreddits and various online platforms. In the majority of the cases, I realized that in the discussions the Americans tend to quickly come to the employers' the defence. They tend to be more skeptical towards employees and what they claim. They talk more often in the favor of the employers.

How well does my experience match the reality? It is inaccurate and unfair to draw big conclusions from personal experiences. So, I am curious about how your experience was.

America has a weird dynamic of the workplace where all the workers want to side with employer since it makes them look loyal to the company and a "harder worker" than others. I dont think its on purpose but it seems the only end game of that is to be favored. (At least it is for my company, but I work in a aerospace factory) 

It probably depends on the community and the way the employee talks about the story.

For example, I often lurk a subreddit for retail employees to post their stories in and 99% of the time the commenters take the side of the employee; as many of them are in the same boat (most being retail drones there too).

I don't know if everyone is American there, so can't comment on that, but it does show an overall bias towards employees.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

16 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

This is perhaps going to be pure generalization. I am curious to find out if the US culture is more employer friendly.

I studied in a fairly international university and currently employed by a multinational company. At  the dinner or lunch table in my university cafeteria and in the company I overheard some people talking about certain practices within the companies throughout their lives. Furthermore, I read quite a lot of threads on several subreddits and various online platforms. In the majority of the cases, I realized that in the discussions the Americans tend to quickly come to the employers' the defence. They tend to be more skeptical towards employees and what they claim. They talk more often in the favor of the employers.

How well does my experience match the reality? It is inaccurate and unfair to draw big conclusions from personal experiences. So, I am curious about how your experience was.

Compare to Europe, labor and trade unions here are weak and employers have the options of hiring immigrants who would accept illegal sub minimum wage and back breaking 70+ hours work week. 

Even in skilled industry like software development, companies have the options of importing bunch of foregin workers, mostly Indians, through H1B visas. These workers are cheaper than the natives and most wouldn't be complaining about work culture and mistreament because the instant they get terminated, they will be deported. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

There are some strong unions that are 1000% employee sided industries. 

However in non unionised areas, if you have a workplace problem, you alone have to sue/do everything and you have to have proof your employer is guilty. 

There are exceptions like the “I got hurt” form. Workman’s comp? But you have to get paid on the books which many places won’t do to avoid taxes & insurance bills. (Which means less retirement money for you. If you don’t claim the revenue. Btw you can claim illegally obtained money & pay taxes with it. IE weed is illegal federally so all marijuana stores are technically illegal & operate in cash 100%.) 

I never really had a major problem but if I did, I have no faith I’d get compensated from my employers. But it’s a 2 way street. I can get a new non union job like *snap*. 

Its difficult in america to get quality & qualified help. Places will have job postings for months to years sometimes even if they require little to no experience & pay decently. Then they might not even stay. 

Unless you work for the government which is like then the government will literally buy you everything you want & still pay you and force you to go home & take vacations. (Unless you are in the military and request deployments more than what they give you.) 

ie, you can be an army man & get deployed once for 6 months then go home & you’re legally not required to redeploy for a period of time. However you can contact the army and say “i want to be deployed again” and they’ll send you if you request it. (Or that’s what some army guys & recruiters said.) if you wanted to spend a 4~ year enlistment deployed & reap the dangerous area bonus pay benefits & not pay taxes because you get paid in a foreign country, you should be able to. #derail

19 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

In the majority of the cases, I realized that in the discussions the Americans tend to quickly come to the employers' the defence. They tend to be more skeptical towards employees and what they claim. They talk more often in the favor of the employers.

I'm not really sure words can describe how wildly this can vary from story to story. Also remember everything you read on the internet/hear from strangers is true

21 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

No. It varies widely from industry to industry , from employer to employer, and from person to person.

Some examples from my own life: Working as a mechanic at John Deere brought me to be extremely loyal to their company, even now that I am no longer an employee I find that I am heavily biased towards their products and services over their competitors. Working at a large multinational convenience store company made me almost despise them, while working at a convenience store store that was locally owned I, again, found myself quite loyal to the company. Previously to that, working at a different locally owned convenience store made me not want to do any business there at all.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Unless you work for the government which is like then the government will literally buy you everything you want & still pay you and force you to go home & take vacations. (Unless you are in the military and request deployments more than what they give you.) 

ie, you can be an army man & get deployed once for 6 months then go home & you’re legally not required to redeploy for a period of time. However you can contact the army and say “i want to be deployed again” and they’ll send you if you request it. (Or that’s what some army guys & recruiters said.) if you wanted to spend a 4~ year enlistment deployed & reap the dangerous area bonus pay benefits & not pay taxes because you get paid in a foreign country, you should be able to. #derail 

Ummm, what? There are people in the military who absolutely hate it and the leadership, and there are those who love it and hate the leadership, and there are those that love it and love the leadership. There are even those who hate the military but love the leadership. Also, as a word of caution, with certain things you need to take recruiters with a grain of salt. Some are more willing to lie about things than others, and with some subjects they are not bound by law to tell the truth (although, not technically allowed to lie either).

Additionally, there are exceptions and special cases to virtually all the deployment rules in the military. Some units are always called as needed, some are hardly ever (or never deployed), some are in 6 month cycles, some are in 18 month cycles, some may allow you to pick up additional deployments, and some may not. Some of these factors may change based on an individuals own job performance, medical waivers, psychological standing (in certain cases only), which branch of the military the person is in, and whether or not you have officer or enlisted status, among other things.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

10 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Ummm, what? There are people in the military who absolutely hate it and the leadership, and there are those who love it and hate the leadership, and there are those that love it and love the leadership. There are even those who hate the military but love the leadership. Also, as a word of caution, with certain things you need to take recruiters with a grain of salt. Some are more willing to lie about things than others, and with some subjects they are not bound by law to tell the truth (although, not technically allowed to lie either).

Additionally, there are exceptions and special cases to virtually all the deployment rules in the military. Some units are always called as needed, some are hardly ever (or never deployed), some are in 6 month cycles, some are in 18 month cycles, some may allow you to pick up additional deployments, and some may not. Some of these factors may change based on an individuals own job performance, medical waivers, psychological standing (in certain cases only), which branch of the military the person is in, and whether or not you have officer or enlisted status, among other things.

As someone that been active duty and now Guard.  Yeah...it varies by base, squadron, career field, and leadership.  Sometimes just a switch in leadership can make a whole unit go from enjoying life to hating the snot out of it. 

And yeah, one can be in a shop where deployments are a rariety and one has to beg to go (I was perviously in such a shop). 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 12/26/2018 at 1:24 AM, straight_stewie said:

Especially this.  Some units specifically in the infantry are basically on call all the time and expected to be deployable in 72 hours.  Hell even your leave can get cancelled while you are on leave in a different place, state, country and so on if shit really hits the fan (granted this is the case in a 9/11 type event mind you). 

Bottom line you really do sign your life over to the military when you go in a recruiter's job is to get you to sign up best to talk to a friend thats either in or has been in.  Sure they might be bitter and have a colorful vocabulary but experience is the best teacher. 

23 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Yes, because the employer is giving you a job in the first place. 

So, is it not the employer who is giving you a job in the first place outside the US?