Samsung IconX (2018) vs AirPods (used with Android)

daweakling

Which truly wireless headphones?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which truly wireless headphones?

• Apple AirPods
    • Samsung IconX 2018

I was looking on getting some truly wireless headphones for Christmas and I am stumped between IconXs or AirPods. I want to go completely wireless for the convenience factor. Just want to pop in one earbud on the bus ride from school and listen to a podcast. 

The normal EarPods fit my ears fine but sometimes feel like they are coming out when doing more than just walking.  I never tried IconXs but maybe they fit better because of the availability of different ear tips. I do really like how the Iconx has Ambient Mode so you can listen in onto your environment. 

Anyways I just wanted to know the communities opinions about this. Thank you all! If you guys have other options, please certainly offer them up. 

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600k | Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3 | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Gaming | Kingston HyperX Red 16GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair CX600 | 
Lian Li Lancool-II white

Laptop: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 (Intel i7, 16GB, RTX 2070) | 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (Intel i7, 16GB, GT750M)

There's no point getting the AirPods if you are on Android. It will work, but just not as good as using it on native iOS devices.

Also, being an Android user also gives you more choices, not just IconX.

Other choices includes (but not limit to): Jaybird Run, Bose SoundSport Free, Bragi Dash, Jabra Elite Sport, Erato Apollo 7, Yevo 1, etc.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

25 minutes ago, sebastiansulb said:

I was looking on getting some truly wireless headphones for Christmas and I am stumped between IconXs or AirPods. I want to go completely wireless for the convenience factor. Just want to pop in one earbud on the bus ride from school and listen to a podcast. 

The normal EarPods fit my ears fine but sometimes feel like they are coming out when doing more than just walking.  I never tried IconXs but maybe they fit better because of the availability of different ear tips. I do really like how the Iconx has Ambient Mode so you can listen in onto your environment. 

Anyways I just wanted to know the communities opinions about this. Thank you all! If you guys have other options, please certainly offer them up. 

Are you on android or ios?

3 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

There's no point getting the AirPods if you are on Android. It will work, but just not as good as using it on native iOS devices.

Also, being an Android user also gives you more choices, not just IconX.

Other choices includes (but not limit to): Jaybird Run, Bose SoundSport Free, Bragi Dash, Jabra Elite Sport, Erato Apollo 7, Yevo 1, etc.

I looked into the some of those popular ones. I feel like the Bose might sound very good but it seems too bulky in pictures and it might not stay in my ear very well. Jabra Elite Sport also peaked my interested. I haven't heard of the Erato, Yevo, or the Bragi. I will do some more research and try to compare them all. Thanks for the feedback.

3 hours ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

Are you on android or ios?

Android. (S9+ to be exact)

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600k | Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3 | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Gaming | Kingston HyperX Red 16GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair CX600 | 
Lian Li Lancool-II white

Laptop: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 (Intel i7, 16GB, RTX 2070) | 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (Intel i7, 16GB, GT750M)

1 hour ago, sebastiansulb said:

I looked into the some of those popular ones. I feel like the Bose might sound very good but it seems too bulky in pictures and it might not stay in my ear very well. Jabra Elite Sport also peaked my interested. I haven't heard of the Erato, Yevo, or the Bragi. I will do some more research and try to compare them all. Thanks for the feedback.

Android. (S9+ to be exact)

Then why would you get airpods? Most of the features wont even work. Not worth it. Icon x is good but also look into other options.

if you can splash a tad more, having tried all three I would strongly suggest the sennheiser momentum true wireless.

They are by far the best sounding true wireless option I have heard

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33
Most used headphones: Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi TC, Sennheiser HD800-S

11 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

if you can splash a tad more, having tried all three I would strongly suggest the sennheiser momentum true wireless.

They are by far the best sounding true wireless option I have heard

I'll second that they do sound amazing, but I'm not sure they are $300 amazing (yet).  I posted up in the other thread about true wireless in-ears and my experience with the Jabra Elite 65t vs. Sennheiser True Wireless.  I've only had the Sennheisers for a few hours, so gonna see how I feel after my travel over Christmas (flying, so LOTS of time spent with ear buds) before I decide what I'm going to keep.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

On 12/18/2018 at 12:57 AM, RAS_3885 said:

I'll second that they do sound amazing, but I'm not sure they are $300 amazing (yet).  I posted up in the other thread about true wireless in-ears and my experience with the Jabra Elite 65t vs. Sennheiser True Wireless.  I've only had the Sennheisers for a few hours, so gonna see how I feel after my travel over Christmas (flying, so LOTS of time spent with ear buds) before I decide what I'm going to keep.

Yeah the 'value' isn't as good as the others. But they DO sound better. 

But 

A) you're paying a significant excess for the true wireless functionality. Earphones of similar quality that are either wired or wireless with a wire between the two would be cheaper

B) with audio, quality and price do not scale linearly. A £3000 HD800-S + Quality dac and amp setup does not sound 30 times better than £100 headphones. But bloody hell do they sound amazing

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33

3 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Yeah the 'value' isn't as good as the others. But they DO sound better. 

But 

A) you're paying a significant excess for the true wireless functionality. Earphones of similar quality that are either wired or wireless with a wire between the two would be cheaper

I agree, but I'm specifically looking for the true wireless part so I'm okay with the blanket extra cost to get a quality set of them.  Right now I'm actually learning towards keeping the Sennheisers.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

4 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

I agree, but I'm specifically looking for the true wireless part so I'm okay with the blanket extra cost to get a quality set of them.  Right now I'm actually learning towards keeping the Sennheisers.

I'd keep em. They're too damn good to get rid of if you want true wireless

I’ve actually used PowerBeats 3 for a while, but they fell out almost every time when running, bad quality. The AirPods never fall out when I’m running, and I cause quite the earthquake when I run. 

Never used them them with an android phone though so not sure of the features you keep, and can’t speak for the Samsung pods. AirPods are quite nice though and are literally normal pods but wireless, keeping controls + Siri as touch controls.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:11 AM, RorzNZ said:

I’ve actually used PowerBeats 3 for a while, but they fell out almost every time when running, bad quality. The AirPods never fall out when I’m running, and I cause quite the earthquake when I run. 

Never used them them with an android phone though so not sure of the features you keep, and can’t speak for the Samsung pods. AirPods are quite nice though and are literally normal pods but wireless, keeping controls + Siri as touch controls.

Imo they sound bad. The speakers themselves are good but the seal in your ear is bad and it comes off as missing a lot of detail and having poor bass. In ear is the way to go for earphones, in my humble opinion

That's an F in the profile pic

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Imo they sound bad. The speakers themselves are good but the seal in your ear is bad and it comes off as missing a lot of detail and having poor bass. In ear is the way to go for earphones, in my humble opinion

Depends on your ear. Doesn’t skip any mids or highs for me, and goes pretty well. Not too bad bass, but I’ve heard better.