Water Cooling Hydroponics

This is probably a stupid question but it has been on my mind for a while and I couldn't think of a better community to ask than LTT forums.

Would it be possible to build a reservoir that is used to cool off PC components but also used as a small hydroponic wick system? I know it's a huge stretch, but if you could make a water cooling system twice as effective as it already is that would be cool. As I'm typing it I'm starting realize that there are probably a hundred reasons why this isn't possible but I'm not an engineer so I had to ask.

Thank you so much!

Just now, Edensfolly said:

This is probably a stupid question but it has been on my mind for a while and I couldn't think of a better community to ask than LTT forums.

Would it be possible to build a reservoir that is used to cool off PC components but also used as a small hydroponic wick system? I know it's a huge stretch, but if you could make a water cooling system twice as effective as it already is that would be cool. As I'm typing it I'm starting realize that there are probably a hundred reasons why this isn't possible but I'm not an engineer so I had to ask.

Thank you so much!

If you are referring to instead of having rads and just putting copper pipes into a large hydroponic tank or body of water that works only if it's sealed and closed off to where there is no potential cross contamination. 

And willing to spend time cleaning algae from all of your components every week...

We have cooling spirals in the lab running tapwater all day and the build-up of algae is insane, it gets worse for hydroponics since you need nutrients in the water, promoting algae grow even more... 

And don't forget to use a mechanical filter to prevent any debris such as dead leaves being sucked/pushed into the waterblocks,,,

Good luck! ?

well if you want microfinns full of shit in seconds, loads of growths and potentially corosion then there is no stopping you

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

And don't forget to use a mechanical filter to prevent any debris such as dead leaves being sucked/pushed into the waterblocks,,,

And frogs :D

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

22 minutes ago, Edensfolly said:

Thank you so much!

Bad idea because dissolved oxygen decreases as heat increases in the reservoir. Roots like it cold. If you used an airstone like in a DWC, this will be bad for radiators. Salts are also bad for the fittings, and copper is bad for plants.

Best option is just use the exhaust heat off a radiator for increased transpiration. Im half way there with my Noctua fans in my grow tent.

20181208_144643.thumb.jpg.649a531a6190708627cf02993f7cc59e.jpg

17 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Bad idea because dissolved oxygen decreases as heat increases in the reservoir. Roots like it cold. If you used an airstone like in a DWC, this will be bad for radiators. Salts are also bad for the fittings, and copper is bad for plants.

Best option is just use the exhaust heat off a radiator for increased transpiration. Im half way there with my Noctua fans in my grow tent.

Yeah basically a pc water loop is the complete opposite of what youre trying to achieve for hydroponics...

If you wanna pimp your pc loop I would add something crazy like a mini waterfall or something (yea yea the bubbles I know) but hydroponics and a pc water loop is just a bad combo.

Talking about crazy things, I've been thinking of adding another waterblock in my loop to power a stirling motor. ?

20 hours ago, Olaf6541 said:

And willing to spend time cleaning algae from all of your components every week...

We have cooling spirals in the lab running tapwater all day and the build-up of algae is insane, it gets worse for hydroponics since you need nutrients in the water, promoting algae grow even more... 

Good luck! ?

Could controlled lighting and a phosphate filtering media solve this issue?

Edit: Never mind I just thought that through...unless the water was filtered outside of the hydroponic reservoir. At that point this would be way more costly than necessary

20 hours ago, For Science! said:

20181208_144643.thumb.jpg.649a531a6190708627cf02993f7cc59e.jpg

This is really awesome! I would love to see more pictures if you have any.

• 5 months later...