Why do people say call important files on consoles "BIOS"

Bonzilink

First of all, they are not like an computer BIOS. Can someone explain?

Bonzilink

Never heard that before. Are they referring to OS files?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Never heard that before. Are they referring to OS files?

Maybe, like the PS2 startup and menu.

Bonzilink

Just now, Bonzilink said:

Maybe, like the PS2 startup and menu.

They're probably just trying to sound smart

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

They're probably just trying to sound smart

A good example of a console peasant.

Bonzilink

Sounds really REALLY weird. I would just keep it the normal way so you dont **** up the system

A good example of a console peasant.

There's a difference between peasant and player. But whoever told you is probebly a peasant

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

There's a difference between peasant and player. But whoever told you is probebly a peasant

Youtube... "BIOS" corruptions.

Bonzilink

Youtube... "BIOS" corruptions.

Oh fun, a peasant on youtube. Just store it where it should be, not inside the bios folder

Because that's still essentially what it is. It's a piece of software that tests the hardware and checks that it's all good to go, then it changes the 1's and 0's being processed by the CPU into the graphics and sound that you see on the screen.

Sure, it doesn't fit the thing we usually refer to as 'BIOS' in a computer system, but that's because computers need a dedicated BIOS firmware, because on top of it we can put other software like Linux or Windows. 

Consoles don't need to load any other low-level system software other than the one it already comes pre-installed with, so to be a bit more efficient it's generally 'combined' (although still somewhat separate) into one single interlocked thing.

Consoles aren't just some magic box that outputs games, at their heart they still use RAM, CPU, GPU, DACs, etc., and they need the low-level software that every other electronic device uses to operate.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

1 minute ago, TakataruMC said:

Because that's still essentially what it is. It's a piece of software that tests the hardware and checks that it's all good to go, then it changes the 1's and 0's being processed by the CPU into the graphics and sound that you see on the screen.

Sure, it doesn't fit the thing we usually refer to as 'BIOS' in a computer system, but that's because computers need a dedicated BIOS firmware, because on top of it we can put other software like Linux or Windows. 

Consoles don't need to load any other low-level system software other than the one it alreaBdy comes pre-installed with, so to be a bit more efficient it's generally 'combined' (although still somewhat separate) into one single interlocked thing.

Consoles aren't just some magic box that outputs games, at their heart they still use RAM, CPU, GPU, DACs, etc., and they need the low-level software that every other electronic device uses to operate.

Yep, that's why you shouldn't be allowed to modify or change it. And especially not putting extra files at it

The "BIOS" we usually talk about on PCs is more or less what is called "firmware" in electronics in general. So it might be someone thinking they can interchange the terms but BIOS has usually always referred only to the firmware on IBM PCs and compatibles.

But I've never heard someone call it that. I've usually heard it be called system software or firmware.

26 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The "BIOS" we usually talk about on PCs is more or less what is called "firmware" in electronics in general. So it might be someone thinking they can interchange the terms but BIOS has usually always referred only to the firmware on IBM PCs and compatibles.

But I've never heard someone call it that. I've usually heard it be called system software or firmware.

Question: Does the bios still come into play once the OS has been loaded? Does the BIOS still act as firmware that translates the motherboard's signals into things the OS can understand? Or does it just kinda "hand off" all control to the OS?

32 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Question: Does the bios still come into play once the OS has been loaded? Does the BIOS still act as firmware that translates the motherboard's signals into things the OS can understand? Or does it just kinda "hand off" all control to the OS?

Typically once the firmware finds something it can boot from, control is handed to it.

21 hours ago, Bonzilink said:

First of all, they are not like an computer BIOS. Can someone explain?

True because its wrong, the correct term would be "Firmware".

And since the Firmware of a Computer is called BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), people using Computers called it BIOS.

Easy as that.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"