YouTube finally acknowledges Students exist with 50% student discount on Music and Premium*

AlTech

TheVerge reports that YouTube is finally acknowledging Students exist with their new 50% Student discount for YouTube Music, which now costs $4.99 for Students per month, and for YouTube Premium, which now costs $6.99 for Students per month.

YouTube is also running a promotion where new student subscribers get a $1 per month discount on Premium if they sign up before January 31st 2019.

Okay, mild sensationalism in title aside, because YouTube was obviously aware Students existed, that is what it feels like from a Student's perspective since the launch of YouTube Music last year. I'm glad they're at least now trying to remain competitive with Spotify.

YouTube is offering discounted prices for its Premium and Music services to students. YouTube Premium, which allows subscribers to watch ad-free videos and provides access to the platform’s lineup of prestige series, is $6.99 a month for students instead of $12.99, according to TechCrunch. YouTube Music, a streaming service similar to Spotify or Apple Music with an emphasis on music videos, is $4.99 a month instead of $9.99.

Offering a discounted service to students isn’t out of the ordinary for membership programs. Companies like Spotify also offer slightly cheaper plans for those enrolled in a post-secondary school. YouTube wants to push its Premium service and sign up as many members as possible, especially as the company starts to order more original series and work with more recognized Hollywood names.

The discounted memberships for YouTube Premium and YouTube Music are available for college and university students in the United States. Those who sign up for YouTube Premium before January 31st, 2019, will get the service for $5.99 a month instead of $6.99

$6.99 per month for YouTube Premium Student does still feel expensive although I guess that depends on how much someone uses YouTube Music which is bundled with Premium.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i have no interest in it. i watch more twitch than youtube, and i think youtube is a disgusting company so i don't want to give them money anyway. 

I hope I am not the only one that don't watch anything live, let alone twitch.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

I hope I am not the only one that don't watch anything live, let alone twitch.

why tho... 

She/Her

So now instead of musicians getting 0.02c per play they get 0.01c?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Presumably the same for YouTube Premium Student.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

yeah but among the things i'll never do, giving money to youtube or google is pretty high on that list

so 15€ to spotify every month it is.

Now if only spotify could improve their algorithm and stop giving me playlists with tracks from the Hamilton musical that would be nice (i mean i already listened the entire album every day for 2 whole months without it advising it to me, no need to keep pushing it further)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

aren't student discounts generally for things that actually benefit a student? like software they might use in class, ebooks, etc. how does youtube premium and youtube music benefit a student's needs?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

aren't student discounts generally for things that actually benefit a student? like software they might use in class, ebooks, etc. how does youtube premium and youtube music benefit a student's needs?

Students need discounts on entertainment too or else we'd go insane.

It's hard enough trying to pay for tuition fees and not being able to afford luxuries. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

5 minutes ago, Kamina said:

It's hard enough trying to pay for tuition fees and not being able to afford luxuries. 

youtube premium's main benefit is no ads. that's hardly detrimental to a student's life, and if they can't sit thorugh 5 seconds of part of an ad, ad-block.

and youtube music, well you can just create a youtube playlist of your favourite songs anyway.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

youtube premium's main benefit is no ads. that's hardly detrimental to a student's life, and if they can't sit thorugh 5 seconds of part of an ad, ad-block.

and youtube music, well you can just create a youtube playlist of your favourite songs anyway.

To be honest, I had no idea youtube premium was a thing or whether if it had any other features besides no no-ads. 

I always use ublock and stuff to block trackers, and pretty much all of my music is pirated since the day I discovered limewire back in the early 2000s.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

i have no interest in it. i watch more twitch than youtube, and i think youtube is a disgusting company so i don't want to give them money anyway. 

Sadly, everything I want to watch is still on Youtube.

And if I want to listen to music at work, I must have youtube red or premium or whatever the fuck it's calling itself these days because I need to be able to lock my phone and put it in my pocket whilst having the music continue playing.

And that's only for people willing to pay.

I would happily purchase a subscription into ANY real competition to youtube. Hell, I'd buy shares in the company, so long as they promised to enforce rules fairly and without political bias, as well as promising fair treatment to the people who make a living off of their platform.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

12 minutes ago, Arika S said:

they are advertising it as youtube music but the real deal is $5 for a Google play music subscription that happens to allow you to play YouTube videos with your phone locked. 

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Exactly..

6 hours ago, Kamina said:

Ah yes, the 'we couldnt possibly studdy and work at the same time, so discount everything for me plz' excuse.

As someone who works, and studies, with colleagues that work and study.

And as someone who watched their mother work 50 hour weeks as a manager, help raise 3 children and get high destinctions on her degree at the same time.

It is entierly possible to afford things at full price, you just have to make sacrifices and can't have everything at once, but thats life in a nutshell.

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I need to be able to lock my phone and put it in my pocket whilst having the music continue playing

ehmr... Youtube Vance or Newpipe?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

No one wants YT music or premium though. The reason why people don't buy it isn't the price. 

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

Pretty shure they doubles the amount of adds. Its therefore up to 10 sec + some larger adds

YouTube finally acknowledges that students exist - but only in the US; they still don't anywhere else in the world.

FTFY.

14 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

This is more about the music side, youtube with no ads is just a plus. 

14 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Many colleges let you keep your school email after you leave, I know my old college let me do this.

Because of this, I can now get the student discount on everything that offers one even after you graduate. Muahahahaha!

Lucky. My college outsourced their email to Microsoft so now it is a something@somethinglive.com address which doesn't register as an educational institution anywhere :/

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

This is more about the music side, youtube with no ads is just a plus. 

you might as well get spotify if it's just for music... 

She/Her

YT subscription... Just no. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If I'm already subscribed do I have to cancel and resubscribe for the discount? I don't see anything online for that question..

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

18 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The discounted memberships for YouTube Premium and YouTube Music are available for college and university students in the United States.

Now we just have to wait for them to acknowledge the existence of students in the rest of the world. Yaay.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3