Why are Noctua fans so popular?

MojangYang

Alright, I know Noctua fans are quiet and performs well, but I DO NOT want to destroy the look of my RGB rig by installing a BROWN fan. Why would people like Linus install those in their beautiful case? They look only acceptable in office pc cases.

Noctua fans look like industrial bitcoin miner fans and server fans, those are probably the places they look acceptable. However, servers do not need to be quiet, and Noctua fans don’t perform better that most delta fans.

The color destroyed EVERYTHING for Noctua, but why do gamers and gamers use them so much? They are also expensive compared to Delta fans...

Jesus christ noctua offers black and grey fans as well, go to their freaking website and LOOK WITH YOUR EYES.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.

SEE!! BLACK FREAKING FANS. AND YES YOU CAN CHANGE OUT THE BROWN PADS FOR BLACK ONES.

noctua_nf_ippc_5.jpg

Some people like nice and quiet fans. Focusing only on the colour is a bit childish. And as already mentioned, Chromax is a thing.

:)

People don't want their computers to be as loud as servers.

Obviously noise is not a problem in a server.

Why do you think people don't use delta fans in their computers............

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

The color destroyed EVERYTHING for Noctua, but why do gamers and gamers use them so much? They are also expensive compared to Delta fans...

because there are people who don't care the slightest bit about appearance and just want performance, also its kind of obvious that a good performing and quiet fan is more expensive than a good performing fan that sounds like a jet engine.

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Jesus christ noctua offers black and grey fans as well, go to their freaking website and LOOK WITH YOUR EYES.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.

SEE!! BLACK FREAKING FANS. AND YES YOU CAN CHANGE OUT THE BROWN PADS FOR BLACK ONES.

noctua_nf_ippc_5.jpg

Oh yeah? that type of Noctua color is rare and Linus use the vomit coloured ones

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

People don't want their computers to be as loud as servers.

Obviously noise is not a problem in a server.

This is why:

Just now, MojangYang said:

This is why:

SUC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Alright, I know Noctua fans are quiet and performs well, but I DO NOT want to destroy the look of my RGB rig by installing a BROWN fan. Why would people like Linus install those in their beautiful case? They look only acceptable in office pc cases.

Noctua fans look like industrial bitcoin miner fans and server fans, those are probably the places they look acceptable. However, servers do not need to be quiet, and Noctua fans don’t perform better that most delta fans.

There are Noctua Chromax and Redux fans, which can use colored Chromax Anti-Vibration fan mounts.

Good Delta, Sanyo Denki, and Panaflo fans cost slightly more because they are industrial grade.

13 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Oh yeah? that type of Noctua color is rare and Linus use the vomit coloured ones

See above comment. I also have a Noctua Redux PWM with colored Chromax vibration pads.

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Speak for yourself. I like my 120x38mm AFB1212HHE.? When voltage or PWM controlled, they can be quite quiet. ?

AND, I'm about to replace my Noctua intake with a 120x25 Delta.

Nothing wrong with good fans. I wouldn't use anything but Noctua, Delta, Panaflo, or Sanyo Denki fans.

Never rub another man's rhubarb!

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

Because Noctua fans, unlike majority of RGB fans, do not suck a sack of donkey balls

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

4 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

Speak for yourself. I like my 120x38mm AFB1212HHE.? When voltage or PWM controlled, they can be quite quiet. ?

What's the point of having high performance fans if you just run them at lower voltages because of noise?

You either deal with the loud noise because you want performance, or you run them slower and get much less performance.

A fan does not get the same performance on low speed as it does on full speed, why do you think the noise is lower.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What's the point of having high performance fans if you just run them at lower voltages because of noise?

You either deal with the loud noise because you want performance, or you run them slower and get much less performance.

A fan does not get the same performance on low speed as it does on full speed, why do you think the noise is lower.

My server fans (delta) run at half speed unless one of them failed, and they still performed well, and not loud

23 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

My server fans (delta) run at half speed unless one of them failed, and they still performed well, and not loud

Loud is relative.

Maybe you don't think they're loud.

I think noctua fans are loud.

Spoiler

Color doesn't affect someone who prefers raw performance than aesthetics.

And for the color, maybe Noctua use this and the philosophy of this creature, maybe..

135029670.P9Tu6Qaw.steenuil8951pbase3.jpg.3185342153989d6bfcbcf9349bed0fb2.jpg

? This bird is silent predator, quiet and strong performer..

Noctua's fans are this bird's wings if it's not too much of translating their fans..

This is my fully 5x black Noctua 140mm fans battle station.

20181105_132349.thumb.jpg.765d4f8ee00a765b90cf6bfc26fe180d.jpg

20181115_111405.thumb.jpg.e7b0762c4e59f747b0ac0234bdc7f1ae.jpg

20181105_131914.thumb.jpg.5310e083c2ece4e682b31d3ea3678d7c.jpg

2x140mm intake 2x140mm on the cooler, 1x140mm exhaust which also acts as the 3rd cooler fan, all those 5 fans are black Noctua..

Does this satisfy you enough about their color?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

55 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

2x140mm intake 2x140mm on the cooler, 1x140mm exhaust which also acts as the 3rd cooler fan, all those 5 fans are black Noctua..

Does this satisfy you enough about their color?

Why did you remove the anti-vibration mounts on the fans?

3 hours ago, VoidParticle said:

Why did you remove the anti-vibration mounts on the fans?

That's only the very front end which doesn't touch anything, and it's behind the front panel, so no point to install them there..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Noctua fans are just a safe choice in regards ot noise and perofrmance.

They are well known to be quiet, high quality, and high performance.

They do come in black, and black & grey variations.

In some case configurations the color of the fans is a non issue as you cant see them.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

8 hours ago, MojangYang said:

Well 7 years warranty and top performance for less than aio , aesthetics are overrated I rather to play at 165hz 1440p with ok temps than have a rgb overpriced lighting festival, so best for gamers (In my opinion) its that , not aesthetics....

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

7 hours ago, Enderman said:

Loud is relative.

Maybe you don't think they're loud.

I think noctua fans are loud.

Well if noctua fans are loud for you , you need to have very specific setup , because any fan (gpu case ....) or even the hdd does more noise than a 400rpm noctua spinning.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Some prefer performance over looks. Some of us had shoes that lite up when we were kids. That's the most rgb we needed. 

Also black fans and a light stripe would be the best way to get the best of both worlds. Give noctua money to make an rgb fan for the fidget spinner crowd.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

23 hours ago, MojangYang said:

The color destroyed EVERYTHING for Noctua

It's the other way around. The color makes Noctuas the most recognizable case fan brand by far and is probably a big part of their success. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 years later...

There is chromax.black version of noctua fans, or you can choose Noctua industrialPPC fans, it performs better than any 120mm/140mm fans but its very loud at 100% load(recomended to use it for CPU Cooler or 2 fan radiator), then slap NA-SAVP1 chromax.black to every 120mm/140mm black Noctua fans you have to make it full black.