What's the BEST Portable Gaming Setup?

AlexTheGreatish

If you can't have a desktop what's the best option for gaming on the go?

Buy the Asus G703Gi
On Amazon: http://geni.us/iSy6ND1
On Newegg: http://geni.us/9egjy

Buy the Razer Blade
On Amazon: http://geni.us/6TgUv
On Newegg: http://geni.us/ovBi

Buy an eGPU
On Amazon: http://geni.us/ZL5Q
On Newegg: http://geni.us/BruB

i seem to so far do the destop for home and a laptop for on the go since i doint often gam on the go just once in a while like some time only once a month i use the famiily mac book pro i am not a huge gamer 

if i had to pick one, i'd go with the blade. 

even my 15" MacBook Pro 2011 that i have is quite heavy and i wouldn't want to carry around anything heavier than it. if i picked the eGPU i'd have to carry the enclosure with me as well... 

in terms of battery life i don't really care. because my laptop is old i get 2.5 hours out of it max at the moment and that's enough for me. 

She/Her

I'll never game on a laptop again. That said if I had a gun pointed to my head stating I had too, I would go with the Blade, all in one in a tiny space, and when it dies lol oh well...

Also, you'd be surprised how many truckers play just ETS2/ATS more than anything else ? And that will run on almost anything on medium specs and still look nice.

Also, also Linus keeps forgetting one thing...

A corsair 380T and monitor/mouse/keyboard in your backpack.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

But what would be the best 15 inch gaming laptop?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Lunchbox PC, best of both worlds...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just buy extra batteries for the laptop, or I am sure there are external laptop batteries. What is even the voltage and amphour rating for laptops.

Should've also thrown in a lightweight laptop+streaming. No need to carry a bulky laptop (heck, I don't even carry a laptop with me to college, I just bowwow one for the library for class). But it is dependant on the connection quality (150/150 has it covered at home for me), and not all streaming works similar- Moonlight has been the best for me.

Maybe Linus can look to do a video on that- compare all the major remote game streaming options.  

On 10/9/2018 at 3:35 AM, Egg-Roll said:

I'll never game on a laptop again

What about LAN parties? Would you carry a desktop with you?

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

What about LAN parties? Would you carry a desktop with you?

If I was to ever do a LAN party, it would be cheaper to find a Internet Cafe for 6 hours than buying a gaming laptop...

Did it in the past will do it again. Reason? All computers there are likely identical so it comes down to skill over hardware. (someone pushing 144fps will always be faster than someone pushing 30)

11 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

If I was to ever do a LAN party, it would be cheaper to find a Internet Cafe for 6 hours than buying a gaming laptop...

Did it in the past will do it again. Reason? All computers there are likely identical so it comes down to skill over hardware. (someone pushing 144fps will always be faster than someone pushing 30)

Interesting. Well it's fun to do it at a friend's house too. But you might say that consoles are the way to go in this case.

11 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Interesting. Well it's fun to do it at a friend's house too. But you might say that consoles are the way to go in this case.

Esp with the switch now lol... Soon consoles are going to be dead too... Sony and MS need to dump the old clunky units and do what Nintendo did.... Imagine playing GTA 6 on the go :D

29 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Esp with the switch now lol... Soon consoles are going to be dead too... Sony and MS need to dump the old clunky units and do what Nintendo did.... Imagine playing GTA 6 on the go :D

Nah regular consoles are great when they decide to make them great. The one X and the PS4 Pro are still good PC alternatives for people who aren't into PC gaming 

23 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Nah regular consoles are great when they decide to make them great. The one X and the PS4 Pro are still good PC alternatives for people who aren't into PC gaming 

The problem is by the time they come out they already run "out dated" GPUs, sometimes horrid cpus, decent ram amount tho... Sure you have a Apple like product for gaming with everything built all in one, compatible stuff... But reality is a $200 referb/off lease/craigslist computer with a 1050 Ti thrown into it prob would out preform a console now... Only reason why one would need or want a console is for console only games. It's the reason why my 360 was the last system I'll ever buy (less the Wii which I got used for $50 or less from EB Games), they don't even get used anymore, not even for movies because the computer has a DVD player and a better screen (better gpu too, R9 270), that's right it's not even at my home anymore in fact no stationary console is in this home. (less my orig Xbox in a box, somewhere)

My biggest grief with consoles nowadays are how they advertise it. I think Xbox one X was advertise with teraflops... Which is a meaningless number, next to making it sound really powerful(like how Linus did with his cheap Honor phone buyout review, seriously I want a honest review of it)... With how powerful computers are now there is no need for consoles, DVDs and Blu-rays? Computers can do that too and consume no extra space... I think Linus is being foolish promoting the removal of optical media drives because Computers are still the #1 least buggiest Blu-ray player going(that won't likely fail after warranty), not to mention a $100 drive and a $100 software (assuming you don't use Leawo and such) is still likely cheaper than a "ok" player. I actually thought about getting a PS4 for Blu-Ray but decided to buy the $150-200 unit I have now (now around $100).

The consoles we knew from the past need to be put out to pasture, I like the switch and think that's the future of consoles, unless they slip in a 1070 at least that is...

On 10/8/2018 at 3:19 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

what's the best option for gaming on the go?

GameTruck

GameTruck-Video-Game-Parties-0031.1509577278.jpg

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

6 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

The problem is by the time they come out they already run "out dated" GPUs, sometimes horrid cpus, decent ram amount tho... Sure you have a Apple like product for gaming with everything built all in one, compatible stuff... But reality is a $200 referb/off lease/craigslist computer with a 1050 Ti thrown into it prob would out preform a console now... Only reason why one would need or want a console is for console only games. It's the reason why my 360 was the last system I'll ever buy (less the Wii which I got used for $50 or less from EB Games), they don't even get used anymore, not even for movies because the computer has a DVD player and a better screen (better gpu too, R9 270), that's right it's not even at my home anymore in fact no stationary console is in this home. (less my orig Xbox in a box, somewhere)

My biggest grief with consoles nowadays are how they advertise it. I think Xbox one X was advertise with teraflops... Which is a meaningless number, next to making it sound really powerful(like how Linus did with his cheap Honor phone buyout review, seriously I want a honest review of it)... With how powerful computers are now there is no need for consoles, DVDs and Blu-rays? Computers can do that too and consume no extra space... I think Linus is being foolish promoting the removal of optical media drives because Computers are still the #1 least buggiest Blu-ray player going(that won't likely fail after warranty), not to mention a $100 drive and a $100 software (assuming you don't use Leawo and such) is still likely cheaper than a "ok" player. I actually thought about getting a PS4 for Blu-Ray but decided to buy the $150-200 unit I have now (now around $100).

The consoles we knew from the past need to be put out to pasture, I like the switch and think that's the future of consoles, unless they slip in a 1070 at least that is...

To put things simple, a $500 PS4/Xbox One X (or $400 on sale or used, bundled with a couple games) would definitely outperform a gaming PC at this price range. If I remember well, in the LTT PS4 Pro review, it definitely outperformed a 1050Ti-equipped PC. Add to that the extra optimization, game exclusives, not having to build it yourself or worry about driver updates/incompatibilities, and you're getting a very compelling product; Also, keep in mind that not everyone is tech savvy, and a big part of console gamers are kids whose parents don't know anything about hardware and stuff. You're also getting a good media consumption device. I also think that the Switch is a better portable gaming solution that any gaming laptop, and a very decent console overall.

As for the optical drive, I also think that it should be removed (especially from laptops lol) as most people download their games and movies.

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Also, keep in mind that not everyone is tech savvy, and a big part of console gamers are kids whose parents don't know anything about hardware and stuff.

This statement becomes more and more out dated every year that passes you know that right? At least 1 parent in the family will see how much a computer will work better than any gaming system. You basically said what I said about gaming systems a all in one unit that works great with mediocre tech at best, sounds a lot like Apple products right?

Think of it like this, you either spend $1000 on a computer for a kid that will work for gaming, internet, video consumption and home work (when I went threw school almost everything was hand written till HS then it was about half after grade 10, now I wouldn't be surprised if typed work was required at grade 6) or you spend $300-500 on a PS4/Pro and be forced to still buy a 400+ computer for the kid. Remember one thing unlike 20 years ago computers are cheaper now.

Btw a $1000 computer (I pre listed for a request here) has a 1070 Ti in it, no dvd/blu-ray drive but that is a easy $50-70 fix

It's called being smart with your money, if you combine the price required for a computer (so you don't have to forfeit it for the kids to do work, and depending on age always adjusting the chair/ table) and a gaming system you'll find that it reaches close to $700 as a base. Also that comparison video that Luke did was towards gamers only, older gamers assuming they don't need to do school work and such, you know those that have jobs.

It's also a Microsoft Stand Alone Product vs a non MS product, those "minor" details that no one will care or notice (the dash) could be a gimmick to push sales, hell MS could even sabotage their own windows release to push sales... Remember MS is in it for them dollar bills, by making the windows version a pile of crap they might be able to convince one person to switch, that one person not only bought windows # but they also bought the windows game, then they bought a console possibly bundled with the game or the game separately, see the issue?

Also Luke didn't explicitly say Xbox PS4 all the way, if you have a 4K monitor then yes, anything else? Nope, also nope if you already have a computer and willing to upgrade it (if possible). But if you have a 4K monitor and not a Blu-Ray player or media box that supports it you are just down right wasting your money anyways.

That said, is 4K worth it? No, not yet, esp on consoles. For PCs it's getting there... But the monitors are still not worth it.

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

As for the optical drive, I also think that it should be removed (especially from laptops lol) as most people download their games and movies.

I'll only download movies for on the go (usually using a under 6" screen), for at home consumption unless you're willing to waste over 1GB for a DVD quality movie in bandwidth imo it's not worth it. I do agree laptops shouldn't have optical drives since they kill battery but I disagree on Desktops not having one, or at least one should have one. Simply put when I watch my DVDs on DVD the quality is far better (esp if you're streaming and it senses a drop in bandwidth RIP to you., aka youtube and amazon), Blu-Rays can't be streamed nor downloaded w/o some sort of loss putting it to DVD quality.

9 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

of it like this, you either spend $1000 on a computer for a kid that will work for gaming, internet, video consumption and home work (when I went threw school almost everything was hand written till HS then it was about half after grade 10, now I wouldn't be surprised if typed work was required at grade 6) or you spend $300-500 on a PS4/Pro and be forced to still buy a 400+ computer for the kid. Remember one thing unlike 20 years ago computers are cheaper now.

Btw a $1000 computer (I pre listed for a request here) has a 1070 Ti in it, no dvd/blu-ray drive but that is a easy $50-70 fix

There's a lot of wrong things in your (very long) reply. You're definitely not talking like the average parent who's not particularly into tech. What kind of parent is actually going to spend $1000+ for their kid's PC? Being "smart with your money" would be buying a console that would cost half the price, which would also serve as a whole entertainment system for the rest of the family for instance. As for homework, your teen doesn't need a $1000 gaming PC, that's what Chromebooks are for, and that way you are sure that they are actually studying and not taking gaming breaks twice every hour. You end up with a more flexible and convenient setup that costs less and gives you more control.

As for the DVD thing, people just watch YouTube/Netflix and won't care all that much about the few seconds of buffering time/quality drop. You need to understand that people are really more interested about convenience and don't even care about who makes Windows .

19 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

There's a lot of wrong things in your (very long) reply. You're definitely not talking like the average parent who's not particularly into tech. What kind of parent is actually going to spend $1000+ for their kid's PC? Being "smart with your money" would be buying a console that would cost half the price, which would also serve as a whole entertainment system for the rest of the family for instance. As for homework, your teen doesn't need a $1000 gaming PC, that's what Chromebooks are for, and that way you are sure that they are actually studying and not taking gaming breaks twice every hour. You end up with a more flexible and convenient setup that costs less and gives you more control.

As for the DVD thing, people just watch YouTube/Netflix and won't care all that much about the few seconds of buffering time/quality drop. You need to understand that people are really more interested about convenience and don't even care about who makes Windows .

You're right the average parent is dumber than most people here... However every family now has its computer genius/tech savvy, mine has several with in it. As for what kind of parent is going to buy a $1000 for a kid, the smart kind thats who. That computer will survive 5+ years possibly longer depending on the age of the kid. Whats the average life of a gaming system? 4-7 years? The systems them selves usually last 10 but realistically assume 4-7 unless you get lucky, then you have to look into the fact the kid might not just want one system but 2 or all 3 major ones. Once the kid has one they want all, thats kids logic. By getting them a computer you save yourself the hassle of buying needless junk.

Buying a $1000 computer vs a $400 console plus a computer might look cheaper but trust me it isn't.

You missed the point of the said $1000 computer it's not just for homework, it's a all in one unit... Want to watch a movie while the kid does their homework? with the right setup of networking etc it can be done(I have it set up here). You also forget one thing about computers all games can be allowed under one login a login you only know the password too, while the one for schoolwork requires no password and has no game access. So tell me how does that not give you more control? I personally wouldn't trust a kid with a laptop if they drop it and it breaks you're running out to buy a brand new one and fast. While remote it's a chance that I would prefer not to take, not to mention gives the kid the chance to take it to school to have it possibly stolen, which once again might require you to go out and buy a new one.

Nah people don't want convenience, they want to be told what they want. Look at politicians... They tell us what we want to hear to get voted in and guess what? Nothing or worst they act on it in a way that's not good... Sure people like youtube and netflix, I know someone who loves watching only youtube content (they have a DVD player in ther computer, along with DVD players attached to a old TV), sure it has tons of stuff but even at their high speed internet speed they always complain about buffering and youtube ads (I guess people like selling their souls, they also manage to keep disabling their ad blocker). Netflix same thing, while they (afaik) have no ads you basically pay them to sell your soul (while they don't actually make money collecting your data, they'll use it to push licencing).

Simply put if you want to buy a gaming system, go ahead throw $400+ away, but if you use it as a family entertainment system as well conflicts will arise guaranteed. Then you'll need to buy a computer for school work (like I said don't buy a kid a laptop of any type), that's another $300 as a base. Then maybe next year you get unlucky and the kid starts demanding the new console (because HEY you bought me one already, no harm in having another right?) from the competitor, well damn there goes more money because you want your kid to be socially accepted and who knows maybe the kid will deliberately break the old system to get the new one. At which time your forced to buy a new system of some sort because you now have no entertainment.

That's why spending $1000 on a computer is smart. Your kid will likely never ask for a console likely just pc games(and if you have steam like me with hundreds of games you can family share and not pay a penny for a good number of games). Plus by having a computer over a console you don't have to worry about the kid playing a 17+ violent game if you don't want them too at the age of 14. A console if you (like many parents) forget to program that in will permit the kid to do so. And yes I know games don't make kids violent but I equally don't think kids under 15 should be allowed to play such games either... Not to mention you get them hooked on console gaming chances are they'll be hooked on it for life, as in always buying one whenever a new one comes out etc.

Also I would like to know who you know that doesn't care about video quality drop and is classified as a non techie ? Almost all I know care about quality and will complain instantly about it... Said person who loves youtube had internet issues that dumped them down to my home speeds, damn did they complain about the 720 quality...