Samsung's Galaxy S10 Will Look Completely Different

On 9/28/2018 at 10:49 AM, kokakolia said:

I am thinking about the Nokia 6.1 which costs $380 (CAD) and uses a Snapdragon 630. You may as well spend $700 (CAD) and get a flagship phone.

I don't get your logic here.  You complain about specs for the price, then say you may as well spend double the price?

dc347dd2-b035-4a39-a781-8d6529fba70a-com

17 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Who actually takes a $800+ phone with them without a case?

Me.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It'll be interesting to see what they mean by completely different. I can't see it being a simple change of color selection, as they usually change that every year anyway.

I believe that's just one aspect of the design change. I hope they don't remove the headphone jack, but it wouldn't affect me if they do.

I'm really excited to see how the Qualcomm fingerprint sensor works. The ultrasonic tech is supposed to be much, much more secure than the set up other companies are using. It's about time someone used it; it's been available for a few years now.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:45 AM, Arika S said:

how very boring looking.

no bezels = no impact protection, any slight drop is going to shatter the screen.

No notch but it looks like they are still trying to make their Edge shit work which means get ready for random screen touches when holding the phone like a regular human person

Most phones will shatter when you drop them. Even phones with huge bezels and plastic screens aren't resistant to that.

The phone is a render, and might not even be what it ends up looking like. I think it looks pretty good though; after all, what do you really expect them to do when virtually the entire front of the phone is screen?

On 9/28/2018 at 9:12 AM, YoloSwag said:

Anybody else don't like where smartphone designs (and prices) are heading?

No longer thinking about practicality. You drop it - dead. You buy a case - the case becomes a hindrance to using it properly.

Everybody's pushing out bezel-less phones but how do you hold it comfortably without losing grip? How do you use it without accidentally touching part of the screen?

They want everything thinner - which also means less battery life.

Make sense great again!

You can go pretty thin and still have excellent battery life. My Zenfone 3 Zoom for example is only 8mm thick, and it has a 5,000mah battery in it.

Most cases don't hinder the use of the device. You might have to change the way you use it a bit, but it's still perfectly fine.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:48 AM, ScratchCat said:

*facepalm*

Dear Marketing, the sensor still physically exists, you just can't see it because there is a chunk of display in the way.

Pretty sure Tom's isn't part of Samsung's marketing team ;)

On 9/28/2018 at 9:49 AM, kokakolia said:

The prices of phones steadily going up worries me a lot. Only because the Midrange phones are truly lacking with relatively high prices considering the piss poor specs (unless you buy from a Chinese website). I am thinking about the Nokia 6.1 which costs $380 (CAD) and uses a Snapdragon 630. You may as well spend $700 (CAD) and get a flagship phone. I can already hear people nagging me about the Pocophone. But that phone isn’t built for the North American market and some issues with carrier frequencies may apply. 

EDIT: That said Tim Cook and Warren Buffet both agree that there is a market for $1000+ phones. So having ultra premium phones makes sense. But please don’t ignore entry level and midrange phones. As long as there’s a decent phone for every price bracket I am OK with flagship phones getting more expensive. 

What? Saying that you might as well spend twice as much makes absolutely no sense. The SD630 is a more than capable chip for 95% of the population.

Not only is the Pocophone not made for NA, it also doesn't perform as well as other SD845 phones.

Who's ignoring the mid and entry range? Certainly not Samsung. They have tons of models every year. As for Apple? They've always ignored these markets, so that shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Honestly, many current phones aren't very good in terms of ergonomics.

While much better than last time, the Edge phones from Samsung have a tendency to register palm touches. The iPhone X/XS/XS Max aren't made for people with hobbit hands, most glass phones are slippery, and more.

Hell, I remember using my Moto Z without any attachments on it and it was one of the least ergonomic phones I've used, not just because it was ludicrously thin but also due to its sharp angular flat back design. It really was uncomfortable.

To be fair, the Moto Z was made to be used with mods. If they made it thicker, then the mods would have made them rather beastly and even more undesirable.

The Moto Z Play with the battery mod installed is right on the cusp of being too thick, but that 7000mahish of battery life sure was tempting.

On 9/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, Mooshi said:

Who actually takes a $800+ phone with them without a case? Glossy colors as a selling point to me is like trying to push a salad on a Texan at a BBQ.

That coat will just be covered by a matte case.

I would if they had matte colors. I hate the fingerprint magnets of gloss though. I have yet to use a DBrand skin, but that'll likely be what I do with my next phone; DBrand, no case.

19 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

> bitch about plastic phones

> praise premiumness of metal and glass build devices

> pays overpriced fees to own said device

> puts "premium" phone inside 5 buck plastic case the instant it's taken out of the box.

can we stop with this glass and metal BS and go back to when phones were designed functionally? 

You mean buy a plastic phone so you can put it in a case because the plastic will chip or crack when it hits the ground? There really isn't a perfect answer. The market clearly didn't like Nokia's poly-carbonate phones, and other companies took note.

Metal and glass, to me and many others, simply feels more premium.

14 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Unofficial render 

You can keep saying it, but they'll never learn.

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

that being said, is there a transparent case that resists yellowing for 2 years? ,_,

BITCH THE PLASTIC ON MY PLASTIC PHONE IS MY CASE. GERROFF MY LAWN

(serious. that was how I used all my plastic phones)

I'd be fine with a decent transparent case that isn't simply a bit of floppy silicone, and that doesn't either look like ass or still show fingerprints. I'd replace it yearly if needed.

I had high hopes for the DBrand case, but I've heard nothing but horror stories.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 9/28/2018 at 11:45 PM, Arika S said:

No notch but it looks like they are still trying to make their Edge shit work which means get ready for random screen touches when holding the phone like a regular human person

COPY PASTE usual comments about holding it and being wrong. :)

Anyway, this looks like it is a rectangle with a touchscreen, I smell a lawsuit coming on...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.