Lenovo C630: First Windows on Snapdragon 850 2 in 1 laptop

Lenovo will be implementing the Snapdragon 850 on their Yoga C630 machine with Windows S.  The 850 is supposed to provide higher performance than the first generation machines due to SoC improvements and OS optimizations within Windows.  As for the system specs, it will supposedly support over a 25 hour battery life on a single charge (impressive if it works), come with a 13.3-inch full HD IPS display with multi-touch, be about 12.5 mm thick and weigh about 1.2 Kg (2.7 pounds).  The system will feature up to 256 GB of UFC 2.1 storage and up to 8 GB of LPDDR4X with two USB Type-C, and all the other little goodies (including an actual 3.5 mm audio jack).  Starting prices is supposed to be around $849.99 and should start sales in the US in November.  

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13309/lenovo-yoga-c630-snapdragon-850-windows

Lenovo on Thursday introduced the world’s first laptop based on Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 850 SoC. The Yoga C630 promises to deliver a considerably higher performance than the first-generation Windows-on-Snapdragon machines because of SoC improvements as well as optimizations made to the OS. Lenovo says that the Yoga C630 can work for over 25 hours on one charge, thus beating every other convertible PC available today.

As noted above, the Lenovo Yoga C630 is based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 SoC featuring eight cores and Adreno 630 GPU. The chip is accompanied by 4 or 8 GB LPDDR4X memory as well as 128 GB or 256 GB of solid-state storage featuring a UFC 2.1 interface. As for wireless connectivity, the convertible laptop naturally has an integrated Snapdragon X20 LTE modem that supports up to 1.2 Gbps speeds over appropriate networks as well as a 802.11ac Wi-Fi controller that also supports Bluetooth 5. In addition, the system has two USB Type-C ports, a fingerprint reader, a webcam, stereo speakers, a microphone, and an audio jack for headsets.

Qualcomm itself promises that its Snapdragon 850 offers a 30% higher performance, a 20% longer battery life, and a 20% higher Gigabit LTE speeds when networks permit. That said, it is more than reasonable to expect systems based on the S850 to be faster than notebooks powered by the S835 right out of the box. Meanwhile, there are other important factors that makes Arm-powered Windows 10 systems more attractive in general: Microsoft has re-optimized its Edge browser for the WoS (Windows on Snapdragon) device, whereas Qualcomm has implemented a 64-bit SDK for developers looking to optimize their code for the WoS. Assuming that software makers are interested in the platform, they will release optimized versions of their programs in the coming months or quarters.

Obviously, software compatibility and performance in applications that run via emulation might still be a question, but Qualcomm and Microsoft are working on issues and all companies involved state that the market these devices are aiming for use UWP programs anyway.

Other than this being limited to Windows S, it looks like a nice little light and portable laptop replacement.  Maybe just something nice to have for basic Office tasks on the go with some video streaming and browsing...

$850? Thats insane. Why buy this when you could get something like a Surface? Maybe if you really REALLY needed the battery life but I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually need the extra battery life over the much better native x86 performance.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

If this was a Chromebook then it could justify the cost. x86 on ARM on windows is poop. 

4 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

$850? Thats insane. Why buy this when you could get something like a Surface? Maybe if you really REALLY needed the battery life but I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually need the extra battery life over the much better native x86 performance.

You kidding? Surface? Really?

Just buy Dell XPS or Lenovo thinkpad!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Just now, mate_mate91 said:

You kidding? Surface? Really?

Just buy Dell XPS or Lenovo thinkpad!

What's wrong with the Surface line?

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Windows S

Yeah, no... why would I want windows s over android or chrome os? Without the massive compatibility portfolio, windows is the worst option.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Considering what phones cost these days, that there seems like a pretty nice device.

47 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Still waiting for the day we have a legit one handed phone/computer with full instruction set.

The Razr i had an x86 CPU. Haven't heard of it? That's the sort of impact it made, none.

X86 doesn't scale that well at phone level TDPs and the extra die size is too expensive for manufacturers.

Apart from the battery life (I think after 25 hours of work you would have come across a power source) and the mobile connection nothing speaks for Windows on ARM until the performance is approximately that of an early i5.

17 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If its not native x86 why would anyone want this though? Battery endurance vs a laptop or Surface would be moot in work tasks because lower relative performance means its just going to take longer to complete tasks. And for everything else we already have chromebooks and tablets.

Still waiting for the day we have a legit one handed phone/computer with full instruction set.

Yeah exactly what I think. Also this price and Win S nope. 

Before these ARM Windows devices were even announced I knew they would be pricey. Some said they would be cheap, far from it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

$850? Who in their right fucking mind would pay $850 for an ARM based laptop with a gimped version of Windows when a nice Ryzen laptop or a decent hybrid costs that much?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Meh, Windows 10 Shit, I'll wait till it runs real Windows, tyvm

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

$850? Who in their right fucking mind would pay $850 for an ARM based laptop with a gimped version of Windows when a nice Ryzen laptop or a decent hybrid costs that much?

The LTE and battery life excuse.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

The LTE and battery life excuse.

Hotspots exist and there is no way in hell that I'd take a little longer battery life over not being able to run anything I'd need it to.

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hotspots exist and there is no way in hell that I'd take a little longer battery life over not being able to run anything I'd need it to.

Also, you can get LTE on x86 machines with 8+ hour battery life.

But that's the defense of these priducts by shills for ARM tablets and convertibles, especially Windows based ones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

But that's the defense of these priducts by shills for ARM tablets and convertibles, especially Windows based ones.

Yeah, usually those options show up on business laptops but they tend to pop up occasionally with more expensive ultrabooks and hybrids.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, usually those options show up on business laptops but they tend to pop up occasionally with more expensive ultrabooks and hybrids.

There's the option with i5 Surfaces as well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

55 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Only a handful of laptops can get 8+ hours and most are more expensive. 

There is a legitimate reason to have ARM in a laptop. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Only a handful of laptops can get 8+ hours and most are more expensive. 

There is a legitimate reason to have ARM in a laptop. 

If we rule out the MacBook Pro 15", these less than worthless pieces of crap run for the same prices as the base versions of a half decent laptop. However, that half decent laptop will kick in the teeth of these devices on performance while still lasting a work day and then some.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If we rule out the MacBook Pro 15", these less than worthless pieces of crap run for the same prices as the base versions of a half decent laptop. However, that half decent laptop will kick in the teeth of these devices on performance while still lasting a work day and then some.

These piece of crap laptops you are mentioning will not get 25 hours of battery life, nor 8 hours.

This isn't mean to be a work horse and why the fuck don't you get that. Yeah its not going to run x86 like a beast but its meant for web browsing and watching youtube and Netflix. Why the fuck do you need a Ryzen of i5 for that. 

This forum pissed me off when low power devices don't perform like an i9 they bitch and whine about it. 

37 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

These piece of crap laptops you are mentioning will not get 25 hours of battery life, nor 8 hours.

This isn't mean to be a work horse and why the fuck don't you get that. Yeah its not going to run x86 like a beast but its meant for web browsing and watching youtube and Netflix. Why the fuck do you need a Ryzen of i5 for that. 

This forum pissed me off when low power devices don't perform like an i9 they bitch and whine about it. 

its not that they dont perform, its that you can get better for much cheaper. 

11 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

its not that they dont perform, its that you can get better for much cheaper. 

No, it's that these products are outperformed by dirt cheap devices (both cheap Android tablets and cheap Windows laptops), costing as much as upper mid range devices, while failing to deliver on their promise of 20+ hours of battery life (this might be the exception).

So far, claimed 20+ hours have been realisitcally 16 in the best of best case scenarios. The battery life of many laptops in the same  price category is around 10. There are some great options for 13 hour battery life as well. The 2018 Gram 15 lasts just shy of 14 hours. LG advertises the 13" version upto 22 hours.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

51 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So buy a tablet lol. If you want a shitty laptop then there are plenty that get good enough battery life and are much cheaper. Good lord an iPad with the smart keyboard is a better "deal" that this.

Wow that’s dreadful ... that price ...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's that these products are outperformed by dirt cheap devices (both cheap Android tablets and cheap Windows laptops), costing as much as upper mid range devices, while failing to deliver on their promise of 20+ hours of battery life (this might be the exception).

So far, claimed 20+ hours have been realisitcally 16 in the best of best case scenarios. The battery life of many laptops in the same  price category is around 10. There are some great options for 13 hour battery life as well. The 2018 Gram 15 lasts just shy of 14 hours. LG advertises the 13" version upto 22 hours.

Thats what I said lol. But really any battery life upwards of 10 hours is pretty pointless unless its a phone. There really isn't a place where you can just plug your device in at night or on a plane, so not much point. For the cost I'd prefer a faster machine. 

13 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Thats what I said lol

No, you just said that you can do better. That's half of the story.

14 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

But really any battery life upwards of 10 hours is pretty pointless unless its a phone. There really isn't a place where you can just plug your device in at night or on a plane, so not much point. For the cost I'd prefer a faster machine. 

I can agree for MOST people. But I would gladly buy a 20+ hour Surface pro if I could, if it also had a 17+ inch screen.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.