When does it count as a new PC?

Inversion
On 6/18/2018 at 7:16 AM, Inversion said:

I'm sure many of you are like me in that they don't upgrade everything at once, maybe you do a CPU upgrade or a GPU or a full platform, maybe you migrate to a new case. My question to you is this, at what point does it count as a new PC?

My gut feel is that it's either:

a) When you upgrade the platform (New MOBO and probably new CPU)

OR

b) When more than 50% of the major components is new

OR

c) When no original parts remain.

I'm inclined to go with option A because I know storage is something not many people will upgrade as often as a CPU or GPU and things like cases often last several builds.

What do you think?

The only original part of my old rig is the HDD.

I call a rig new when it's either new to me, or when I change platforms.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The only original part of my old rig is the HDD.

I call a rig new when it's either new to me, or when I change platforms.

For me its been a case of "oh, only the 2x4GB of RAM is original". So yeah...since the end of 2014 when the GTX 970 came out I've slowly

been replacing/upgrading parts here and there.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I have a P4 631, 540J and HT 3.2GHz (socket 478). When stock a T7600 is faster, with overclocking my E8500 and both E6500K are still a shitload faster (4-4.5GHz)

Back when I used a P4 as my main rig all the duos I knew where all shitty(load times, everything). No idea about the model I have access to but I doubt I can overclock it.

The weird thing is I found my P4 to actually be faster for everything (less CPU intensive operations) underclocked, as far as I know the memory wasn't changed during underclocking... IDK where my cpu-z records have gone to either... (the pre 2014 ones)

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

For me its been a case of "oh, only the 2x4GB of RAM is original". So yeah...since the end of 2014 when the GTX 970 came out I've slowly

been replacing/upgrading parts here and there.

I kept my 780 and PSU in my FM2 rig for a while just as a better GPU until I got my Ryzen board and CPU.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

7 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Back when I used a P4 as my main rig all the duos I knew where all shitty(load times, everything). No idea about the model I have access to but I doubt I can overclock it.

The weird thing is I found my P4 to actually be faster for everything (less CPU intensive operations) underclocked, as far as I know the memory wasn't changed during underclocking... IDK where my cpu-z records have gone to either... (the pre 2014 ones)

To be fair, you were probably comparing your overclocked P4 to conroe dual cores. Nor penryn.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I kept my 780 and PSU in my FM2 rig for a while just as a better GPU until I got my Ryzen board and CPU.

I couldn't do that with the PSU. The original (which came with the first case) caused issues with my GTX 970, and the VS650 in the last few months started giving me issues with everything (PCI, PCIe, SATA. It didn't matter). I couldn't even use my TV tuner card.

PMSL

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I couldn't do that with the PSU. The original (which came with the first case) caused issues with my GTX 970, and the VS650 in the last few months started giving me issues with everything (PCI, PCIe, SATA. It didn't matter). I couldn't even use my TV tuner card.

I got my CX550M a week or two after my 780, so it wasn't that much of a problem for me.

I do have PSUs that won't power on systems though. It's an interesting failure, since the PSU will just stop giving the correct amount of power on each rail, and it can happen suddenly. I had one go overnight, and then another go after a shutdown.

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I got my CX550M a week or two after my 780, so it wasn't that much of a problem for me.

I do have PSUs that won't power on systems though. It's an interesting failure, since the PSU will just stop giving the correct amount of power on each rail, and it can happen suddenly. I had one go overnight, and then another go after a shutdown.

I saw a similar issue with a Celeron 500 machine that my Aunt wanted repaired. You had to choose between using a CD ROM drive or the HDD due the PSU being faulty(turns out that a few underrated caps had failed-I now use it in my K6-2 machine after the 5 minute repair)

PMSL

On 18-6-2018 at 1:16 PM, Inversion said:

I'm sure many of you are like me in that they don't upgrade everything at once, maybe you do a CPU upgrade or a GPU or a full platform, maybe you migrate to a new case. My question to you is this, at what point does it count as a new PC?

My gut feel is that it's either:

a) When you upgrade the platform (New MOBO and probably new CPU)

OR

b) When more than 50% of the major components is new

OR

c) When no original parts remain.

I'm inclined to go with option A because I know storage is something not many people will upgrade as often as a CPU or GPU and things like cases often last several builds.

What do you think?

Hmm, interesting one, this kinda goes back to the boat "Paradox" if you replace a plank on a boat, is it a new boat? if not how many planks do you have to replace to make it new, 100%? it seems like a easy question, but the more you start to think about it, the harder it gets,

With PC's i would say, if you have a new Motherboard + CPU + GPU, then you can probably call it a new pc :P

What if it isn't the hardware, but the software? Clone the OS install to another system of identical parts, it will still behave the same (give or take Windows activation...)

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

As we know, the term "new" is subjective to what it is perceived as (ala Ship Of Theseus).

Having said that, in the context of PCs, my opinion/perspective of new is that of a complete system change. Case & all. Mainly due in part to my habit of not re-using parts for other machines. Pointless & expensive, yes, but it's my thing.