to delid or not to delid

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
On 6/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, Pachuca said:

-

Just air dumping the photos I took when I delidded my 8700K. No varnish, no problem for me, but feel free to seal the 4 gold contacts I suppose.

20171109_165620.thumb.jpg.6207b823928f5dab735f370a67a7c42c.jpg

20171109_165909.thumb.jpg.eeda119bc21b78b45aea471644a80465.jpg

20171109_170554.thumb.jpg.aef7ca8c5cd999d992aba8b26fd42d0b.jpg

20171109_171141.thumb.jpg.0d5c069faec00938b0189162f4c67fad.jpg

I recently purchased an i7 8700k knowning the massive amounts of complains from reviewers about the poor quality paste between the cores and IHS. I have my gpu + cpu in a custom loop with 1x 360 rad and 1x 420 rad so plenty of thermal headroom. I have a delid kit and I'm ready to go, but now I'm having doubts about it. Here's a pic of what the stock temp and frequency is   

As you can see it's not even hitting the max turbo frequency 4.7 and seems to be stuck at 4.12. Should I RMA it or go ahead with the delid anyway?

image.png

All 6 cores will not run at 4.7Ghz unless you enable multi core enhancement in the BIOS, you may need to bump up CPU voltage as well.

To get an accurate temp readout using liquid cooling you need to run the stress test for 30 mins to an hour.

enable multicore in the BIOS.

Turn off auto voltage and try keying in 1.24volts, some boards auto volt higher and that can throw the temps up as well.

set the multiplier to 48 so 4.8Ghz and see how it goes, that should work on most of the CPU's.

Don't delid till your sure you want to keep it, if it can't do at least 4.8Ghz at stock clocks it might not be that great.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Definitely delid. I delidded a 7700K and managed 5.2ghz across all cores on a corsair H55 AIO.

My main rig with a 6700K is actually running into VRM limitations before thermal limitations, and I have it crammed into a node 202.

You should expect quite a massive drop in temps, and this should let you get some much better overclocks.

11 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Definitely delid. I delidded a 7700K and managed 5.2ghz across all cores on a corsair H55 AIO.

My main rig with a 6700K is actually running into VRM limitations before thermal limitations, and I have it crammed into a node 202.

You should expect quite a massive drop in temps, and this should let you get some much better overclocks.

what's it like long term when you use lm on the cpu. How often do you have to repaste it?

34 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

what's it like long term when you use lm on the cpu. How often do you have to repaste it?

I have seen absolutely no difference in temps in the couple years it's been on my 6700K. It'll last a lot longer than normal paste

On 6/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have seen absolutely no difference in temps in the couple years it's been on my 6700K. It'll last a lot longer than normal paste

I would like to use nail polish to prevent anything from leaking and damaging the cpu, do you have any suggestions on what's good to get? I read somewhere that benzene derivatives in nail polish can harm the cpu, but I have no idea which nail polish is good for this. What did you do to prevent damage in case the LM spills inside the IHS?

2 hours ago, Pachuca said:

I would like to use nail polish to prevent anything from leaking and damaging the cpu, do you have any suggestions on what's good to get? I read somewhere that benzene derivatives in nail polish can harm the cpu, but I have no idea which nail polish is good for this. What did you do to prevent damage in case the LM spills inside the IHS?

I just put a tiny piece of tape over the pads. Yeah, it might come off when it gets warm, but I haven't had any dead CPUs. If anything, it'll at least keep the metal off of them while relidding.

Also, for the best results, apply it to both the IHS and die before sticking it back together, it'll make sure they both get "wetted" with the liquid metal.

Basically the liquid metal should be a super thin layer spread out over the entirety of the die, it shouldn't be pooled up at all, if there's a puddle of gallium, that can slip off. suck up excess with the needle if you have too much applied or a q-tip will soak up excess. Do the same with the IHS. Make sure everything is super clean before you apply.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, Pachuca said:

-

Just air dumping the photos I took when I delidded my 8700K. No varnish, no problem for me, but feel free to seal the 4 gold contacts I suppose.

7 hours ago, For Science! said:

thanks for sharing. Mine was a little less liquidy. Wish I took pics of it too. I noticed a slight improvement. Maybe 10c, but I only used it on stock speeds. When I tried to overclock I managed to hit 5.2 @ 1.4v. What where your results like? 

8 hours ago, Dschijn said:

@Pachuca a full quote with pictures.... damn son

is there a problem?

14 hours ago, Pachuca said:

-

at an All core 4.8 GHz (Auto Voltage, MCE, XMP) using RealBench as a stress test, before Delid I hit 75 degrees, and then after delid, that was reduced to 60 degrees.

I wasn't really chasing crazy overclocks, so I settled for a 1.28 V 5 GHz for a daily/gaming stable system.

9 minutes ago, For Science! said:

at an All core 4.8 GHz (Auto Voltage, MCE, XMP) using RealBench as a stress test, before Delid I hit 75 degrees, and then after delid, that was reduced to 60 degrees.

I wasn't really chasing crazy overclocks, so I settled for a 1.28 V 5 GHz for a daily/gaming stable system.

i'm also not looking for world records, just want it to run smooth and quiet. My biggest problem was putting the IHS back on top. I'm hitting 65c max with stock speeds right now. I'm concerned about 2 things. Either I didn't put enough LM or I put too much glue and the IHS might be a little too high. What are your thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

i'm also not looking for world records, just want it to run smooth and quiet. My biggest problem was putting the IHS back on top. I'm hitting 65c max with stock speeds right now. I'm concerned about 2 things. Either I didn't put enough LM or I put too much glue and the IHS might be a little too high. What are your thoughts? 

Not sure, I think I am fairly generous with the LM application, probably on the side of "too much" however all my chips have survived thus far (one even on a long flight) so clearly its okay. when you re-glued the ihs, did you have something like mine to apply pressure onto the chip - its quite a lot of pressure that gets applied to probably minimize the Z distance. If not, perhaps you may be better off without re-gluing.

9 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Not sure, I think I am fairly generous with the LM application, probably on the side of "too much" however all my chips have survived thus far (one even on a long flight) so clearly its okay. when you re-glued the ihs, did you have something like mine to apply pressure onto the chip - its quite a lot of pressure that gets applied to probably minimize the Z distance. If not, perhaps you may be better off without re-gluing.

yeah, i have the same tool kit. I screwed it on until it felt tight, I didn't want to over do it for fear of breaking the chip. I'll try to re-apply some extra LM see if that makes a difference. I'm sure the temps can be much better than this. 

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

yeah, i have the same tool kit. I screwed it on until it felt tight, I didn't want to over do it for fear of breaking the chip. I'll try to re-apply some extra LM see if that makes a difference. I'm sure the temps can be much better than this. 

I usually don't put any glue on mine. Just set the IHS on top and close the holddown.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I usually don't put any glue on mine. Just set the IHS on top and close the holddown.

I can't really do it without the glue, so i guess I'll try to reseal and either apply more pressure after resealing or put less glue. 

Just some perspective. Unless you are doing a lot of rendering the overclocking on the 7700o and 8700k is pretty pointless. I dont have the time to game much anymore, but my advice would be this.

Yes overclock to high heaven and flex your benchmark muscle, but then back it down to a modest overclock. I wouldn't worry about pushing it higher unless you are having bottleneck issues with a powerful gpu. Highly unlikely unless you game at 720p.

I mean real world gains or perceivable difference will be non existent between say 4.7 and 5.2ghz. Save yourself some electricity and heat and go for modest overclocks after you flex your benchmarking muscle.

To the OP if you are keeping temps below say 80c when stressing then there isn't a real need to delid unless you are going for high clocks and need the 10-15c reduction to try to stabilize an overclock.

3 hours ago, Pachuca said:

is there a problem?

yeah, it's unnecessary. Especially if the qouted post is just above ^^

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Just some perspective. Unless you are doing a lot of rendering the overclocking on the 7700o and 8700k is pretty pointless. I dont have the time to game much anymore, but my advice would be this.

Yes overclock to high heaven and flex your benchmark muscle, but then back it down to a modest overclock. I wouldn't worry about pushing it higher unless you are having bottleneck issues with a powerful gpu. Highly unlikely unless you game at 720p.

I mean real world gains or perceivable difference will be non existent between say 4.7 and 5.2ghz. Save yourself some electricity and heat and go for modest overclocks after you flex your benchmarking muscle.

To the OP if you are keeping temps below say 80c when stressing then there isn't a real need to delid unless you are going for high clocks and need the 10-15c reduction to try to stabilize an overclock.

Yes, I've mentioned this before. I agree with you. I'm looking to get better temps in general so I can run the system more quietly and also see how far I can push it when I'm flexing those benchmark muscles lol. I prefer running it at stock speed most of the time because it literally makes no difference for gaming when it's overclocked. Right now I'm running it at 5.0 @ 1.33v but the fans are running loud so I'll have to start scaling back the volts until I find a sweet spot for noise.

Edit:

You're totally right about the minor bump in OC. It's just not worth it. Also the temps in my system don't go above low 70s. I've never even seen 80 on max temps. The most it's hit was 73c. The average temp when stress testing is usually 60c with 5.0Ghz and when I hit 5.2GHz the average was 68c with max hitting 73c. I have 2 giant rads to keep everything cool so that's a plus. Now I'm just trying to see how to reduce noise. The delid def helped at least at stock speeds plus it was a fun learning experience. 

2 hours ago, Dschijn said:

yeah, it's unnecessary. Especially if the qouted post is just above ^^

yeah, but I want to run my system in near silence. I couldn't do it with the TIM that intel had on there. At least now when I load it with stock settings my fans hardly make a noise. 

Here's pics after 2nd Delid attempt. I cleaned the cpu before I could take a pic of how much LM was there, but it looked similar to the IHS. In the 2nd pic I added more LM to both the core and IHS. This actually decreased temps by another 5c, I guess the first application wasn't good enough. I'm now getting 15c decreased temps.

20180614_145424.thumb.jpg.9c476d0c68e19bb425a0e6f31354db48.jpg20180614_150456.thumb.jpg.33ebfc35ae956456ba052d8ce1f4ce26.jpg

also I tightened the clamp more this time to make sure the glue would really get compressed and not leave additional space 20180614_150650.thumb.jpg.1c89291fd5eea002d7b1b967144ec5da.jpg