PS4 Slim vs. PS4 Pro

79wjd

Are there any advantages other than more power? And, am I remembering correctly that Sony requires developers to support both for all games (e.g. both should have similar life spans?)

And how much space is realistically needed for a few (single player) games? I assume 500gb should be more than sufficient?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Are there any advantages other than more power? And, am I remembering correctly that Sony requires developers to support both for all games (e.g. both should have similar life spans?)

And how much space is realistically needed for a few (single player) games? I assume 500gb should be more than sufficient?

Better visuals

Super Sampling in some games

better performance in others

500GB is quickly filled if you are buying in the Store.

Some Games are ~42GB (well, many are), some are even larger than that. FFXV is 65GB for example. 

So not very far it is you can get with 500GB.

So I'd pay the ~100 bucks more for the PRO.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Better visuals

Super Sampling in some games

better performance in others

500GB is quickly filled if you are buying in the Store.

Some Games are ~42GB (well, many are), some are even larger than that. FFXV is 65GB for example. 

So not very far it is you can get with 500GB.

So I'd pay the ~100 bucks more for the PRO.

7 - 10 games sounds like it should be more than enough....I probably wouldn't end up with more than that anyway, and most would be on discs (Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet & Clank, Drive Club, Infamous second son, infamous first light, marvel's spider man, uncharted 4 and 5). I also don't plan on getting PS Plus, so it's unlikely all end up with many downloaded games. 

And I don't think the better visuals alone are worth the price difference.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Most games are rendered at a higher resolution on the Pro than the Slim, eg games are often rendered at 1800p on Pro vs 1080p on Slim. Occasionally you'll get a game that runs at 60 fps on the Pro vs 30 fps on the Slim, for example, the Shadow of the Colossus remake. But most of the time the higher framerate modes on the Pro are unlocked framerates in the 40s, which I don't see as an improvement over a locked 30 fps. While the Slim is $300 and the Pro is $400 I'd probably buy the Pro. I myself bought a Slim because when I got it the price was $220 with Uncharted 4, which was a $60 game at the time and one of the main games I bought the system for, while the Pro was $400. So it was $220 for Slim + Uncharted 4 vs $460 for Pro + Uncharted 4, making the Slim a no-brainer at the time. 

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

7 - 10 games sounds like it should be more than enough....I probably wouldn't end up with more than that anyway, and most would be on discs (Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet & Clank, Drive Club, Infamous second son, infamous first light, marvel's spider man, uncharted 4 and 5). I also don't plan on getting PS Plus, so it's unlikely all end up with many downloaded games. 

And I don't think the better visuals alone are worth the price difference.

You still install your disc games to the hard drive on PS4, unlike PS3 for example.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Most games are rendered at a higher resolution on the Pro than the Slim, eg games are often rendered at 1800p on Pro vs 1080p on Slim. Occasionally you'll get a game that runs at 60 fps on the Pro vs 30 fps on the Slim, for example, the Shadow of the Colossus remake. But most of the time the higher framerate modes on the Pro are unlocked framerates in the 40s, which I don't see as an improvement over a locked 30 fps. While the Slim is $300 and the Pro is $400 I'd probably buy the Pro. I myself bought a Slim because when I got it the price was $220 with Uncharted 4, which was a $60 game at the time and one of the main games I bought the system for, while the Pro was $400. So it was $220 for Slim + Uncharted 4 vs $460 for Pro + Uncharted 4, making the Slim a no-brainer at the time. 

Well, I'm looking at buying used. So the difference will probably be $120+, and I don't expect the higher resolution to matter much -- I'm still content with the PS3 graphics for the types of games I end up playing on it. 

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You still install your disc games to the hard drive on PS4, unlike PS3 for example.

Well, still, I likely won't end up with more than 7-10 games and I'd guess that at least some of them are on the smaller side of the scale, so 500gb would seem to be enough if games are 45gb~ (plus I technically have a 640gb 2.5" drives lying around that I could always throw in).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, I'm looking at buying used. So the difference will probably be $120+, and I don't expect the higher resolution to matter much -- I'm still content with the PS3 graphics for the types of games I end up playing on it. 

Well, still, I likely won't end up with more than 7-10 games and I'd guess that at least some of them are on the smaller side of the scale, so 500gb would seem to be enough if games are 45gb~ (plus I technically have a 640gb 2.5" drives lying around that I could always throw in).

Makes sense. If you can get a Slim go for that over the OG PS4 though since it's on either 14nm or 16nm, while the OG is 28 nm. It brings down the power consumption and thus fan noise pretty significantly, and I doubt their prices are very different on the used market. The only advantage the OG PS4 has over the Slim is the OG has an optical audio out while the Slim doesn't.

7-10 games should be no problem. I have 17 games currently installed on my 500GB drive, though a few are pretty small games. Still, I have some large ones too:

I have a 500GB drive in my PS4 Slim, and the games I have installed are

1. Yakuza 0 (24.18 GB)

2. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (3.62 GB)

3. Shadow of the Colossus (13.58 GB)

4. Persona 5 (23.11 GB)

5. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (50.48 GB)

6. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (44.52 GB)

7. NieR Automata (52.60 GB) [Including DLC]

8. The Unfinished Swan (1.41 GB)

9. Patapon (608 MB)

10. The Last Guardian (13.78 GB)

11. Journey (1.95 GB)

12. Loco Roco (2.47 GB)

13. fLOw (507 MB)

14. Horizon Zero Dawn (49.23 GB)  [Including DLC]

15. Bloodborne (36.51 GB) [Including DLC]

16. Flower (736 MB)

17. The Last of Us (44.47 GB)

It says I have 39 GB free but it probably wouldn't let me install even a 25 GB game right now.

@SteveGrabowski0 Well, I got a 500GB OG PS4 w/ three games that I'll try and sell for $210 (so hopefully let's call that around $180~). I want to say it's unlikely I would find a Slim at a similar-ish price -- especially within the next day or two (since the free home mini essentially knocks another $40 off).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

@SteveGrabowski0 Well, I got a 500GB OG PS4 w/ three games that I'll try and sell for $210 (so hopefully let's call that around $180~). I want to say it's unlikely I would find a Slim at a similar-ish price -- especially within the next day or two (since the free home mini essentially knocks another $40 off).

What three games you get? Also if you like inFAMOUS, you might check a review video of Yakuza 0, as Yakuza is a pretty cool beat em up series.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What three games you get? Also if you like inFAMOUS, you might check a review video of Yakuza 0, as Yakuza is a pretty cool beat em up series.

Advanced warfarfare, final fantasy type O, and FF heavensward.

I looked up one of the Yakuza games and it gave me a GTA vibe, which I dislike (although I did only really glance at it, so maybe it's not like that at all).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Heavensward is outdated, you need Stormblood to play all the Content there is and there aren't that many people playing Heavensward right now anyway...

But I find the FFXIV Community kinda cancerous because the RAID Bosses are relatively hard and long...

So if you don't want to invest Time, FFXIV isn't the best MMORPG there is...

Except you play it casualy...

Type 0 is a remake of a VITA game, kinda expensive but I got it on PC for like 12€ or so. So not that expensive or worth buying...

What you should look at is a bundle with good exclusive Games like Horizon and the likes...

Uncharted is nice but I'm not that big fan of the Series...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I looked up one of the Yakuza games and it gave me a GTA vibe, which I dislike (although I did only really glance at it, so maybe it's not like that at all).

I don't think Yakuza is nearly as much like GTA as it can look at first glance. IMO it's almost more like a modern equivalent to Double Dragon or Final Fight where you're constantly getting attacked and beating the shit out of people, though it's got much more a sense of humor. I have never played any of the Shenmue games, but I hear Yakuza compared to them a lot.

There is no driving, there is no just going and starting shit with random people, and it's a pretty small and densely populated area you're confined to. Yakuza 0 has a much better story than any of the GTA games (I haven't played the rest of the Yakuza series yet). You do have freedom to do things as the world is filled with minigames like an underground catfight circuit you control via rock-paper-scissors, slot car racing, playing old-school Sega arcade games (Yakuza 0 takes place in 1988 Tokyo and Osaka), running a cabaret club, a dancing rhythm game, a karaoke rhythm game, etc. I like Jim Sterling's review of Yakuza 0:

if its going to be your main gaming system, go with pro.  

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

The Last of Us remastered on slim 30 FPS, 60 FPS and better visuals with the Pro.  To me, that's a good enough reason right there lol 

On 5/19/2018 at 11:42 PM, Newenthusiast said:

The Last of Us remastered on slim 30 FPS, 60 FPS and better visuals with the Pro.  To me, that's a good enough reason right there lol 

Not true.

I'm not too educated on this but i would spend the extra money on a pro i heard it runs better frames on games, i don't personally care for 4k. Granted the frames is the only reason i would say the pro is better.

Basicallly, the Pro is beefier, with extra graphics or extra frames. Many new PS4 titles will be Pro-optimized, so if you're getting a Pro, it's a good time.

The Slim is the more value-oriented model, and it's smaller and probably has quieter operation but it is also slightly less beefy

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I bought a 500GB Slim model and am happy with it. I had the money to buy the Pro and almost did, but I realized I don't really game much, so I got the Slim. If you plan on owning many games, more than 4 like me, and newer games, and will be using it more than once a week for an hour like me, then the Pro may be worth it.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:52 AM, djdwosk97 said:

The PS4 Pro obviously has more processing power - specifically on the GPU front. It also has 4K + HDR support, though it'll depend on the specific game for compatibility.

Other then that? The non-gaming capabilities are more or less identical.

In terms of Game Storage? A 'triple-A' game can take anywhere from 30-60GB (some larger), so a 500GB drive would be sufficient for at least 4-5 very large games.

You can also install games onto External USB HDD's, just like with the XBOX One.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The PS4 Pro obviously has more processing power - specifically on the GPU front. It also has 4K + HDR support, though it'll depend on the specific game for compatibility.

Other then that? The non-gaming capabilities are more or less identical.

In terms of Game Storage? A 'triple-A' game can take anywhere from 30-60GB (some larger), so a 500GB drive would be sufficient for at least 4-5 very large games.

You can also install games onto External USB HDD's, just like with the XBOX One.

I ended up getting an OG 500gb PS4, and so far I'm happy with it -- and don't expect that to change.

I actually ran into a bit of stuttering while playing Infamous when all hell breaks loose, but it's infrequent and it doesn't really bother me.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 5/18/2018 at 12:52 AM, djdwosk97 said:

Are there any advantages other than more power?

The PS4 Pro, based on the image that I found, has some additional ports(namely SPDIF audio), whereas the Slim doesn't.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I ended up getting an OG 500gb PS4, and so far I'm happy with it -- and don't expect that to change.

I actually ran into a bit of stuttering while playing Infamous when all hell breaks loose, but it's infrequent and it doesn't really bother me.

Nice. I ended up buying an XBOX One S about 6 months ago - I actually bought it as a "Streaming Box" + Blu-Ray player first and foremost, but I did buy a few exclusives for it too.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/19/2018 at 1:30 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't think Yakuza is nearly as much like GTA as it can look at first glance. IMO it's almost more like a modern equivalent to Double Dragon or Final Fight where you're constantly getting attacked and beating the shit out of people, though it's got much more a sense of humor. I have never played any of the Shenmue games, but I hear Yakuza compared to them a lot.

There is no driving, there is no just going and starting shit with random people, and it's a pretty small and densely populated area you're confined to. Yakuza 0 has a much better story than any of the GTA games (I haven't played the rest of the Yakuza series yet). You do have freedom to do things as the world is filled with minigames like an underground catfight circuit you control via rock-paper-scissors, slot car racing, playing old-school Sega arcade games (Yakuza 0 takes place in 1988 Tokyo and Osaka), running a cabaret club, a dancing rhythm game, a karaoke rhythm game, etc. I like Jim Sterling's review of Yakuza 0:

#Muricaparrotgang

With E3 now upon us I am seeing decreases / good deals in regards to the PS4 Pro.  Get the PS4 Pro although just to let you know oddly at times the PS4 Pro despite supposedly being the better PS4 console will run certain games worse than the PS4 Slim. Don't ask me why.

1 hour ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

With E3 now upon us I am seeing decreases / good deals in regards to the PS4 Pro.  Get the PS4 Pro although just to let you know oddly at times the PS4 Pro despite supposedly being the better PS4 console will run certain games worse than the PS4 Slim. Don't ask me why.

The reason it might run some things worse is because it's assuming that you'll be on a 4K TV with the Pro, and a 1080p TV on the Slim. Therefore it'll render detail at higher settings on the Pro, which will increase the graphical fidelity, but at times, might reduce the framerate.