LG launches the G7 - Resonance chamber, notch, 3000mAh battery

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I think that's a sort of problem that will unfortunately hit this phone even if it's good. HTC 10 for example. Great phone, I would put it at as high a level as the S7. However, I see S7s all the time but have never seen an HTC 10 in the wild. 

There's a huge problem where no one seems to buy flagship phones besides iPhones and Galaxys. The only flagship phone I've seen out there at ALL that wasn't a Samsung or Apple phone was the Pixel lineup, which seems to have a HUGE marketing budget based on the multitude of ads for it I've seen. 

It's an unfortunate issue that I honestly can't see going away any time soon. Without a huge marketing budget like that which Google is giving Pixel I don't think any smartphone maker will be able to get good market penetration on future products, no matter how good...

Honestly I would have to agree. I mean I am not into phones and really don't follow the smartphone market. When I was thinking about getting a new smartphone the pixel the iPhone and the galaxy were the only phones that I even knew about. The other phones I maybe have heard about a handful of times but don't know what they look like or really any info other than the name. 

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Tiny battery for its size but I assume the whole resonance chamber thing requires some space. I doubt the trade-off is worth it for most people though.

One has to wonder if all the extras will be regional again? Wireless charging and quad DAC could end up being removed outside of South Korea.

Then there's LG's shoddy software, software support and QA problems. The display could either be very good or very bad. LG usually makes good LCD panels but this time it's RGBW and no details to how the arrangement works and then there's calibration and color management. There are a lot of promises but no good track record to back it.

LG needs to work very hard to reclaim consumer trust. I doubt this will be the device to win consumers over.

Honestly I don't get why they would want speaker volume over battery life. I can't even remember the last time I wanted to listen to something on my phone speaker let alone have it blasting. I definitely have had times where I wished I had more battery life. I really am curious as to how many people actually use their phone speakers regularly and really think that they would buy a phone based on speaker volume?

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I think that's a sort of problem that will unfortunately hit this phone even if it's good. HTC 10 for example. Great phone, I would put it at as high a level as the S7. However, I see S7s all the time but have never seen an HTC 10 in the wild. 

There's a huge problem where no one seems to buy flagship phones besides iPhones and Galaxys. The only flagship phone I've seen out there at ALL that wasn't a Samsung or Apple phone was the Pixel lineup, which seems to have a HUGE marketing budget based on the multitude of ads for it I've seen. 

It's an unfortunate issue that I honestly can't see going away any time soon. Without a huge marketing budget like that which Google is giving Pixel I don't think any smartphone maker will be able to get good market penetration on future products, no matter how good...

That is true, especially today. 

But there was a time where LG was starting to become more known for phones, somewhere around 2014. Whatever happened then, it isn't happening now. 

Even if the phone isn't going to be popular, they still need to release pricing and launch info really soon because if they keep waiting around for a month, then whatever interest in this phone is going to wane. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Phone makers put a notch to house the only components that can't be hidden behind the screen. LG puts a notch and leaves the freaking chin at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, crisro996 said:

Phone makers put a notch to house the only components that can't be hidden behind the screen. LG puts a notch and leaves the freaking chin at the bottom.

I think many Android phones with a notch have the same. The only phone I know of to date with a notch but no chin is the iPhone X 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I think many Android phones with a notch have the same. The only phone I know of to date with a notch but no chin is the iPhone X 

Just looked at a list of Android phones with notches and it seems you are right. What the hell are these people thinking? I'm not sure how Sony phones look, but I guess Samsung is among the only ones left with a decent design.

27 minutes ago, crisro996 said:

Just looked at a list of Android phones with notches and it seems you are right. What the hell are these people thinking? I'm not sure how Sony phones look, but I guess Samsung is among the only ones left with a decent design.

The new Sony phones look much like what Samsung has pre-S8 minus the home button and the different aspect ratio 

Wow. I really love how there is just one phone designer in the entire world. And a whole bunch of uninspiring copycats. When they are even copying idiotic design like the screen mole, you know it's bad. Ugh. 

Hey.. hey.. you know that top part, where you can see all the stuff apps tell you? Yeah, yeah where your battery indicator and clock is located. How about we remove half of that space for no screen at all. You know, so you can't see shit, if you have more than 3 apps trying to communicate with you. Yeah. That's a great idea. Oh and make sure the screen has rounded corners too. Just so when you play full screen video, you lose a large part of the side, and all corners!

sf28yjo8w0d4.jpg

INNOVATION AWARD OF THE YEAR.

This site needs a poo emoji.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Notional said:

Hey.. hey.. you know that top part, where you can see all the stuff apps tell you? Yeah, yeah where your battery indicator and clock is located. How about we remove half of that space for no screen at all. You know, so you can't see shit, if you have more than 3 apps trying to communicate with you. 

My Note8 has the same thing on Oreo

It only really shows 3 notification badge icons as of now 

I cannot be convinced to buy another LG phone, ever again. The LG G6 was a huge let down. I actually went back to my HTC One M8 because of how poor the phone performs. Reluctantly I use it because, well I did pay for it. The cameras suck, the phone lags and over heats, and the phones gotten water damage from a little drizzle. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

40 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

I cannot be convinced to buy another LG phone, ever again. The LG G6 was a huge let down. I actually went back to my HTC One M8 because of how poor the phone performs. Reluctantly I use it because, well I did pay for it. The cameras suck, the phone lags and over heats, and the phones gotten water damage from a little drizzle. 

Sounds like my G4 except the water and camera.

It still had a competitive camera in this era and I still like the way it feels and even how it looks. It would’ve been a great companion on LineageOS, especially with spare batteries.

Except it wasn’t. Mostly due to bootlooping and overheating Snapdragon 808s. I miss the G3 and G2, both of which were absolutely fantastic minus the G3’s crap stock firmware and overheating. Ditto for the stock firmware on the G2.

1 hour ago, Notional said:

Wow. I really love how there is just one phone designer in the entire world. And a whole bunch of uninspiring copycats. When they are even copying idiotic design like the screen mole, you know it's bad. Ugh. 

Hey.. hey.. you know that top part, where you can see all the stuff apps tell you? Yeah, yeah where your battery indicator and clock is located. How about we remove half of that space for no screen at all. You know, so you can't see shit, if you have more than 3 apps trying to communicate with you. Yeah. That's a great idea. Oh and make sure the screen has rounded corners too. Just so when you play full screen video, you lose a large part of the side, and all corners!

sf28yjo8w0d4.jpg

INNOVATION AWARD OF THE YEAR.

This site needs a poo emoji.

And if you don't watch videos, then removing the notch and pushing the screen down means that the clock, notifications, and other miscellaneous icons will take up usable screen space. I'll take the notch approach any day. 

And you're also pretending like a >16:9 aspect ratio is good for videos anyway -- generally you'll either lose part of the image to have it fill the 18:9~ ratio or you shrink it to the standard 16:9 ratio and just have black bars on the side. So if videos are that big of a priority, then no minimal bezel phone works out efficiently.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And if you don't watch videos, then removing the notch and pushing the screen down means that the clock, notifications, and other miscellaneous icons will take up usable screen space. I'll take the notch approach any day. 

And you're also pretending like a >16:9 aspect ratio is good for videos anyway -- generally you'll either lose part of the image to have it fill the 18:9~ ratio or you shrink it to the standard 16:9 ratio and let the edges be black.

I think I’d rather have no notch.

I’m sure the designers want to as well but when you want a 90%+ screen:body ratio, the sensors and FFC have to live somewhere and unfortunately, that’s where the notch comes in.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And you're also pretending like a >16:9 aspect ratio is good for videos anyway -- generally you'll either lose part of the image to have it fill the 18:9~ ratio or you shrink it to the standard 16:9 ratio and just have black bars on the side. So if videos are that big of a priority, then no minimal bezel phone works out efficiently.

Almost all movies are wider than 16:9, so it actually benefits from a wider screen. Round corners and notches does not.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

15 minutes ago, Notional said:

Almost all movies are wider than 16:9, so it actually benefits from a wider screen. Round corners and notches does not.

And what movies are shot in 18.5:9 that are commonly available on streaming mediums such as Netflix?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And what movies are shot in 18.5:9 that are commonly available on streaming mediums such as Netflix?

Most movies are 2.35:1. But it depends on post production. It's basically impossible to make a screen, that all movies can fill out.

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

Most movies are 2.35:1. But it depends on post production. It's basically impossible to make a screen, that all movies can fill out.

So then no matter what you're either going to be distorting the image to fit a 21:9 image on an 18.5:9~ screen (in which case the rounded corners are the least of the problems) or you're going to be wasting part of the screen with black bars (in which case the rounded corners are irrelevant) and viewing 16:9 content. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

So then no matter what you're either going to be distorting the image to fit a 21:9 image on an 18.5:9~ screen or you're going to be wasting part of the screen with black bars. In either case, the rounded corners are the least of the problem.

I'm not a proponent of forced full screen. I'm complaining how dumb it is to use full screen when the panel has rounded corners and a giant mole on the side.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

I'm not a proponent of forced full screen. I'm complaining how dumb it is to use full screen when the panel has rounded corners and a giant mole on the side.

But full screen isn't an option for videos anyway if you truly care about a non-distorted image -- even if the notch and rounded corners weren't present.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Interesting phone, kind of. I'm more interested to see what they do with the V40 this year.

It's a real shame they shrunk the battery, even though the phone is bigger than the G6. That's a huge hit for me, unless the new SoC is that much more energy efficient. It'll really all come down to the camera; if they nailed that, I think it'll be a good device.

I love the resonance chamber; at least they're trying something new.

They call it a second screen as a throwback to the V20. At least they give you a plethora of options, including hiding it. I think the notch will be a lot better once we get an update or two out of Google, and they have better ways to code for its existence.

Neat phone, but I agree, all comes down to price. I think the S9 has more going for it, but if this is priced right it could be a hit.

10 hours ago, UltimaHeart said:

My friend who lives in Europe (He lives in Switzerland) texted me that he needs a new phone to replace his HTC 10. He told me wants something that has Great Battery Life, Great Internet & Networking & Good Design. Should he get this?

Who knows, it hasn't had enough time to get proper reviews yet. If you want killer battery life, look at the Zenfone 3 Zoom.

10 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I was thinking that I needed to upgrade from my S6 this year, but so far the options I'm seeing are a bit underwhelming...  This might have been a good option if they didn't include the notch and gave it a bit of a bigger battery.  Maybe I'll see if I can wait to see what the next Note looks like.

I find the better phones tend to come in the tail end of the year. Mate 20, Note9, next Essential Phone, OnePlus 6 if you're into that kind of thing.

I'm personally waiting on the Key2.

10 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Considering how tiny the speaker, front camera, and sensors are on the front, couldn't they've shaved like 2mm off the top of the screen and avoided the notch altogether?

EDIT: Also don't like the shiny side band. Brushed metal looks better.

Then they'd have a smaller screen. All comes down to marketing.

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

This year more than any other time I think LG needs to get the little things right. I heard good stuff about the vibration motor in the v30 ThinQ, if they got it right here that's a plus. The speakers sound really cool. The display sounds neat, and if they have good contrast then that would be another large plus. It'd be awesome if the camera is good enough to compete with the very best. And the 2 year warranty is really nice to see, especially considering the QC reputation that LG has.

If they get the little things right I could see this being a better recommendation than the S9, especially seeing as how underwhelming it's turned out. I like some of the stuff LG is doing but every single time they seem to have some sort of issue, often QC issues, that just bring the whole thing down...

Really? You think this would beat the S9? Why? Just curious, I don't think LG will be anywhere near Samsung's level when it comes to the camera.

8 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Wait, no OLED screen? That is weird. Also how good is the QDAC compared to V30s?

And this is also weird because LG was apparently supposed to rebrand the G series into something different.

Those were all rumors. There's always tons of stupid rumors about phones before they release.

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I would have to agree. I mean I am not into phones and really don't follow the smartphone market. When I was thinking about getting a new smartphone the pixel the iPhone and the galaxy were the only phones that I even knew about. The other phones I maybe have heard about a handful of times but don't know what they look like or really any info other than the name. 

That sounds like a personal problem ;)

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You can still watch them in 16:9, just with black bars, can't you?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You can still watch them in 16:9, just with black bars, can't you?

Yes. My point was that the rounded corners and a notch are the least of your concerns in terms of watching videos if you're in the market for a minimal bezel phone since you'll either be watching the content in 16:9 (in which case the notch/rounded corners are irrelevant) or you'll be watching a distorted/zoomed image anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

SD845, headphone jack, decent dac, ip68, expandable storage, rear-mounted fingerprint sensor. Would have been a perfect replacement for my dying 6P if not for the small battery. My 6P now lasts less than half a day of normal use, so I need a new phone that last at least a full day.

Fingers crossed for the OP6. Bigger battery and a smaller res screen should do the trick. S9/+ are good phones but I'm kinda bored with Samsung.

Hiding the notch with software will give you equal and small enough top and bottom bezels. 

That space will not be totally wasted, there will be networking, battery and other system icons yet without any risk for apps to mess that up, somewhat like LG V10 second screen on the top.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

It just comes down to pricing and availability. 

Some carriers mentioned that the phone will be ready to order on June 1st but no price yet

It's too bad that LG ditched removable batteries. I'll be holding on to my V20 as long as I can. No issues with bootloops, and very easy to self repair. Still runs snappy with new batteries.